milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Nothing too revolutionary in here, but the AFL has released dates and some details of the 2018 AFL fixture

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/put-it-in-your-diary-afl-reveals-round-one-2018-blast-off

THE AFL has revealed the 2018 season will blast off on Thursday, March 22, and also confirmed key structural details of next year's fixture.

The League has written to all clubs to begin work on the 2018 fixture, which it hopes to complete and announce by late October this year.

A launch on March 22 will lead to the Grand Final being staged on Saturday, September 29, with the AFL still working on the structure of the season.

Key dates the AFL was working within include:
• Round one starting Thursday, March 22
• The Grand Final on Saturday, September 29
• Easter round from Thursday, March 29 to Monday, April 2
• Anzac Day round from Friday, April 20 to Wednesday, April 25
• Queens Birthday match on Monday, June 11

The League also confirmed a standard round would continue to include:
• One Friday night match
• Two Saturday afternoon matches
• One Saturday twilight match
• Two Saturday night matches
• One early Sunday match
• One Sunday afternoon match One Sunday twilight match

The number of Thursday night matches was likely to be similar to the number played in 2017, with eight staged this year, including five consecutive between rounds 10 and 14.

The matches were a ratings winner for broadcaster Channel Seven, which averaged 731,000 free-to-air viewers during its seven games in the timeslot this season.

The popular timeslot requires teams to play on a six-day break, however, limiting the AFL's ability to work more into the fixture.

AFL general manager of clubs, Travis Auld, said the League had written to clubs and key stakeholders, including the AFL Players Association, broadcasters, government and stadia partners to seek their input and outline the League's primary considerations. Balancing the number of matches between top and bottom-placed clubs would continue to be a consideration for the AFL.

Other considerations for the League include:
• AFL and club contractual obligations with stadia
• Player welfare issues
• Travel considerations for clubs
• Maximising attendances
• Continuation of "blockbuster" and "themed" matches
• Expansion market objectives

Nothing too revolutionary in here, but the AFL has released dates and some details of the 2018 AFL fixture

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-03/put-it-in-your-diary-afl-reveals-round-one-2018-blast-off

THE AFL has revealed the 2018 season will blast off on Thursday, March 22, and also confirmed key structural details of next year's fixture.

The League has written to all clubs to begin work on the 2018 fixture, which it hopes to complete and announce by late October this year.

A launch on March 22 will lead to the Grand Final being staged on Saturday, September 29, with the AFL still working on the structure of the season.

Key dates the AFL was working within include:
• Round one starting Thursday, March 22
• The Grand Final on Saturday, September 29
• Easter round from Thursday, March 29 to Monday, April 2
• Anzac Day round from Friday, April 20 to Wednesday, April 25
• Queens Birthday match on Monday, June 11

The League also confirmed a standard round would continue to include:
• One Friday night match
• Two Saturday afternoon matches
• One Saturday twilight match
• Two Saturday night matches
• One early Sunday match
• One Sunday afternoon match One Sunday twilight match

The number of Thursday night matches was likely to be similar to the number played in 2017, with eight staged this year, including five consecutive between rounds 10 and 14.

The matches were a ratings winner for broadcaster Channel Seven, which averaged 731,000 free-to-air viewers during its seven games in the timeslot this season.

The popular timeslot requires teams to play on a six-day break, however, limiting the AFL's ability to work more into the fixture.

AFL general manager of clubs, Travis Auld, said the League had written to clubs and key stakeholders, including the AFL Players Association, broadcasters, government and stadia partners to seek their input and outline the League's primary considerations. Balancing the number of matches between top and bottom-placed clubs would continue to be a consideration for the AFL.

Other considerations for the League include:
• AFL and club contractual obligations with stadia
• Player welfare issues
• Travel considerations for clubs
• Maximising attendances
• Continuation of "blockbuster" and "themed" matches
• Expansion market objectives
Sounds like everything's coming up Milhouse

No mention of Comm games, or China.

Pretty sure it's just setting out the framework of the season for the clubs to make their requests from.

Little surprised there is no mention of the comm games, as that will influence things, but China (or India, or any transferred game for that matter) are part of the details that the clubs need to request before they become 'things' to hang on that framework.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Ideal Fixture

1x Thursday Night 7.30pm
2x Friday Night 7.30pm
3x Saturday 2.10pm
1x Saturday 5pm
1x Sunday 2.10pm
1x Sunday 5pm

My Ideal Fixture

1x Thursday Night 7.30pm
2x Friday Night 7.30pm
3x Saturday 2.10pm
1x Saturday 5pm
1x Sunday 2.10pm
1x Sunday 5pm
I hope you are a troll.

None for Sat night?
Two for Friday night so you're missing one?
3 at the same time Saturday so you're missing two?
The Sunday time slot is nearly as bad as this post.

Anzac Day on a Wednesday is at the end of the round. That's a change isn't it?

Seems likely to be in order to accomodate your lot v Melbourne on Tuesday night. Hopefully the AFL do the right thing and have the teams cross over on the Sunday next round - Rich v Coll at the G, Ess v Melb at Docklands.

Also hope Essendon find a better solution for the short break than the last time...

My Ideal Fixture

1x Thursday Night 7.30pm
2x Friday Night 7.30pm
3x Saturday 2.10pm
1x Saturday 5pm
1x Sunday 2.10pm
1x Sunday 5pm

I'd prefer a standard round to just have 4 time slots.

1 Friday Night game
4 Saturday Afternoon games around the country at 3:20pm
1 Saturday Night game
3 Sunday Afternoon games around the country at 3:20pm

Last edited:
To organise dates next year, my girlfriend and I will probably do the same as this year.

She puts every Bulldogs game for the H&A season & marque games that I'm interested in watching or attending as well in her calendar & also leaves Friday's & Saturday's free in September.

We work around that. It's pretty simple.

I would have thought the best way to navigate next season with it's ANZAC Day issues would be to have two byes (none the week before finals) and have two teams have a bye each for 18 of the 24 rounds. Start it the week before ANZAC Day with Collingwood and Essendon having the bye (this would be Round 5 I believe) and then Richmond and Melbourne having the bye in Round 6. Eight games a round from Round 5 until Round 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back