Preview 2018 AFL Season - GWS

Where do you think GWS will finish the 2018 H&A season?

• Top 4

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Top 8

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Mid-table missing finals

• Bottom 6

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
2018 sees the GWS Giants line up for their seventh season in the AFL. I think that original expectations would have been that if the Giants were competitive for a flag in 2018, the western Sydney expansion would be reasonably on track. In fact, GWS has exceeded expectations, playing finals in only season five, and making back-to-back Preliminary Finals losing to the eventual premiers both years. While critics like to cite the PF losses as 'failures', in reality they're nothing of the sort, although hopefully the players can use those losses to fire their own drive towards a premiership.

So 2018 does see GWS competitive for the flag. The recent AFL captain's poll puts GWS, Adelaide and Richmond as the most likely teams to make the Grand Final by their assessment. Which means nothing at all when the season actually fires up. At the end of last season, GWS did lose significant experience with the retirements of Shane Mumford and Steve Johnson, and trading out Devon Smith, Nathan Wilson and Matt Kennedy. The loss of the two former players put definite holes in GWS' best 22 - although Dev underperformed in season 2017 - in the small/medium defender and small forward roles. The loss of Zac Williams in pre-season 2018 to a season-ending Achilles injury added to the team selection woes for the defensive setup, while Will Setterfield's season-ending injury also robs GWS of a young gun who would have been expected to play plenty of games. So, while GWS still retains plenty of exciting players, just entering their prime in terms of age and games played - such as Josh Kelly, Dylan Shiel, Steve Coniglio, Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron & Lachie Whitfield - there are legitimate questions about GWS that are yet to be answered:
- can Rory Lobb satisfactorily fill Mummy's shoes as ruckman and produce a good platform for our gun midfield?
- can the defensive setup cope with the loss of both counterattacking guns Williams & Wilson?
- can GWS get the forward line functioning like 2016 (when they were the AFL's second best scoring team)?

So, where will GWS finish the home & away season? Well, I tend to look at the ladder in sections.

I think there are 6 teams that will fight out the top 4 positions on the ladder:
1. Adelaide. Despite the critics expecting a drop-off from them on the back of their GF loss and Lever's departure, I expect them to remain highly competitive with strong lineups in defence, mids & forwards. No surprise if they finish H&A as minor premiers.
2. Sydney. Perennial finalists, and after last year's early 0-6 disaster, they looked primed to attack 2018 from the outset.
3. Richmond. Ignoring the naysayers, they did a good job to win the flag last year, and looked primed again for an assault this year. However, their draw will be less favourable, they'll be in everyone's sights, and injuries to either Jack Reiwoldt or Dusty Martin could be quite costly - so they have potential to drop back a bit too.
4. Geelong. Also perennial finalists, adding Gary Ablett Jr to Selwood and Dangerfield in the midfield spells DANGER in capital letters. However, they have limitations throughout their team, and any injuries to their big 3 (Gaz being susceptible and Danger under threat for round 1) and could be pushed down.
5. Port Adelaide. I'm not as big on the hype around them adding Motlop, Watts & Rockliff as some (as I don't rate 2 of those 3 that highly), but after last season and adding talent, I think they'll definitely be in the mix.
6. GWS. Definitely in the mix, but we're going to have to fight hard to get top 4 (and desirably top 2 for home finals). We can do it, but hopefully the injury gods are kinder than in 2017.

The chasing pack:
1. Melbourne. There's a lot of commentators upbeat for Melbourne, and I largely agree with them, but can't help but pause and think about the 'Melbourne factor' - such as losing a spot in the 8 last year from a seemingly assured position. If Simon Goodwin can exorcise those 'demons' (pun intended), they could conceivably finish top 4, but overall I fully expect them to be a top 8 side.
2. Essendon. While most have the Bombers pegged as certain top 8 and even possible top 4, I think there was a bit of 'dead cat bounce' about last season, and despite adding Dev Smith, Stringer & Adam Saad, I don't think finals is a certainty.
3. Hawthorn. Can't write this team off - they almost made it last year after a disastrous start. However, I just don't think that they have enough polished players across the park to get there, unless they really play well and other teams have injury issues or otherwise fall backwards.
4. Bulldogs. I think they'll be better than season 2017, but they've still got issues primarily in attack & I honestly struggle to see who's going to kick a winning score for them week-in-week-out.
5. St Kilda. Should be definitely in the frame for a top 8 berth after season 2016, but stalled last year, and pre-season 2018 indicates the same issues remain. I expect them to be thereabouts, but fall short - just like last year.

The fight for the bottom 4 is also intriguing:
1. Gold Coast. With the addition of Stuart Dew and a bunch of new young players, they look primed to improve, but the Commonwealth Games robbing them of a home field in the first half of the year hurts them bigtime. By the time they're home, their younger players are likely to be starting to tire, so while I think they deserve to be higher ... I think that draw puts them in wooden spoon frame.
2. North Melbourne. As much as Norths' supporters hate to hear it, last year's results and their continued renewal seems likely to have them near the bottom of the ladder. No doubt they'll spring an upset or two, but as the two JLT matches showed, they'll also take some whacks.
3. Brisbane. I originally thought that Brisbane would be improvers this year, and while JLT matches are just pre-season, I'm a bit more pessimistic about Brisbane rising too much this year (sorry dlanod!). They'll improve, but incrementally this year.
4. Carlton. Despite their good JLT results, I think they'll still be up & down with their young team impacted by the losses of Gibbs and Docherty, notwithstanding their additions. I don't think they'll be wooden spooners, but likely bottom 4.
5. Collingwood. I scratch my head over this team and just put it down to Bucks' coaching. I expect them to drop further this year, and any injuries won't help.
6. West Coast. I think West Coast will drop quickly with their losses of Priddis, Mitchell & co from last year. Perhaps not bottom 4, but likely bottom of the mid-section and I just don't see them threatening for a spot in the 8.
7. Fremantle. I think there are some green shoots for Freo, and while I doubt they can make the top 8, I think they'll end up a bit higher than most expect - provided Neale & Fyfe remain healthy. Otherwise, bottom 4 is a possibility.

So, for GWS, we need to continue with Manuka and Spotless fortresses, winning the majority of games at home, but also learning to win against mid-table and bottom sides away.

Where do you think that we'll finish?

Land of the Giants will provide the weekly game previews for 2018, as he did in 2017. I'm happy to use this thread for everyone's general thoughts on season 2018 for GWS or other teams, and any general comment on progress throughout the season.

Go GIANTS!

So many unknowns heading into the season and I like most others believe that a flag is a possibility this season but so much needs to go right for the club to achieve that and after season 2017 I think the players will be more adaptable to different situations
Club wide a premiership is the aim and then for the membership to have a greater than 10% growth on last year and also an increase in the crowd averages at Spotless and not sure how much potential for growth in numbers at Canberra is possible but 3 sellouts would be great
4 games I want the club to win would be Sydney at the SCG, Crows at Adelaide and the 2 games at the MCG collingwood rd 2 and the demons rd 23. The first 2 will be 2 of the hardest games of the season
Commentators to praise the Giants for the forward 50 pressure and tackles
2 of JC, Patton and Greene to top 50 goals for the year
Perryman or Cumming to have a solid season in the backline
Coniglio to reach 100 games
What i see as being important for the playing future of the club is for Taranto and Bonar to have solid seasons and continue their development as I see that as the key to the continued success of the club along with Hopper, Setterfield, Perryman and Cumming
2 signatures before the end of the season from the 2019 OOC players

Last edited:

The early 6 rounds will be the key. Team looking down on soldiers early with some important players underdone.

Against that some key players (Cameron, Whitfield, Shiel) look unstoppable. Toby's fitness will be a big determinant.

If can get through those first 6 with minimal collateral damage I think the mid part fixture opens up and we should see a purple patch of form.

Keys for a premiership season I think
Keeping players fit and on the park
It will be interesting to see from the premiership seasons how many Doggies and Tigers played every game and the importance of those that missed a few games as I think if your core 12-15 play most of the games and are all ok at the end of the season those combinations will make it harder for the opposition
So far 20/22 have played all 5 and key players missing would be Kelly, Williams and Scully so I think a good run is needed for the players to build those combinations and work on what the coaches give them
It will be interesting to see where the club sits at the bye as they have 2 tough road trips and a few other games that will be 50/50s and things will need to change after the weekends performance or the team will be looking at a qualifying final

Just for some context of the changes over the preseason we can look at the players and experience lost
SJ 2 seasons 40/293 Giants/Total
Mumford 4 seasons 72/172
Smith 6 seasons 109
Wilson 6 Seasons 77
Kennedy 2 seasons 19
Mzungu 1 season 2
You could say the equivalent of 3/4 best 22 but it is also the experience lost that is important
Injured players Games missed
Williams 7
Scully 6
Kelly 4
Lobb 4
Greene 4
Griffen 3
Hopper 2
Cameron 1
Deledio 1
If we had the injury list of the Tigers I am sure are W/L record would be better
What I think from this is that the trade period took away more depth of the club and then the injury list is effecting the game plan and the ability to get the wins to finish top 2/4. I am confident of a finish in the 8 but I would be hoping to go into the bye winning 4 of 5 games

Just for some context of the changes over the preseason we can look at the players and experience lost
SJ 2 seasons 40/293 Giants/Total
Mumford 4 seasons 72/172
Smith 6 seasons 109
Wilson 6 Seasons 77
Kennedy 2 seasons 19
Mzungu 1 season 2
You could say the equivalent of 3/4 best 22 but it is also the experience lost that is important
Injured players Games missed
Williams 7
Scully 6
Kelly 4
Lobb 4
Greene 4
Griffen 3
Hopper 2
Cameron 1
Deledio 1
If we had the injury list of the Tigers I am sure are W/L record would be better
What I think from this is that the trade period took away more depth of the club and then the injury list is effecting the game plan and the ability to get the wins to finish top 2/4. I am confident of a finish in the 8 but I would be hoping to go into the bye winning 4 of 5 games
I dont get you can count Mummy and Stevie J as losses. Projecting forward neither were positive contributors for this year, and arguably held us back last year, albeit they could have been dropped.
Injuries definitely hurt but people often assume that none is the "natural" outcome and it generally isn't.

The Tigers have had a great run and kudos to them, inasmuch as it's conditioning and not luck.l. I dont wish injuries om anyone but their great run may end. The Crows have had a bad run after a great run last year and are still winning, our record is actually similar and not that bad. If it's maintained we finish on around 14 wins and we can hope for improvement if Toby, Lobb, Scully, Lobb, Kelly, Buntine and Kennedy can become regular contributors.

How many more wins for the season?
With the way the team is playing at the moment I would say 3/4 and then if they improve the form of some players and the injury list decreases maybe 5/6
L Crows A
W Suns H
W Lions A
50/50 Hawks H
L Eagles A
L Tigers H
L Power A
W Saints H
W Blues A
L Crows H
L Swans H
L Demons A

I think the club needs 8 more wins for finals which is beyond the group for this year and I think the key is to reload for next year and my keys for this year would be to work on the game style and have a set back 6 experienced and with good foot skills to maintain possession and composure and vital is a mostly stable back 6 with
Shaw Davis TOJ
Whitfield Corr Griffen
With Kennedy/Cumming/Perryman spending time rotating through
Also forward entries and leading patterns of the forwards and to try and have Patton playing with space in the forward 50
With the injury the Deledio I think the club may try and keep Griffen around for next year
Reid and Buckley to stay in the NEAFL after the bye
HH and Tomlinson to play forward/wing if they are in the team, too much playing over the park and losing the skill set in their main area of the ground
I would like to see Perryman play out the year to see how he goes and if he is suited HB or wing, Cumming to hopefully get up to 10 games by the end of the year and work on HB/wing and then Bonar to hopefully come in for 2/3 games to see how he adjusts to the pace of the game and Daniels depending on form in the back half of the year to have a taste and the same for Flynn and I don't think Sproule with see action this year with HH and Tomlinson around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote this season off as lost after the loss to North, and then losing to the Dons doubled it down.

I'm now hoping we pull a Richmond (5, 8, 5, 13, 3) or Geelong (2, 3, 10, 2, 2) where they missed finals due to reasons, but bounced back the following year.

How many more wins for the season?
With the way the team is playing at the moment I would say 3/4 and then if they improve the form of some players and the injury list decreases maybe 5/6
L Crows A
W Suns H
W Lions A
50/50 Hawks H
L Eagles A
L Tigers H
L Power A
W Saints H
W Blues A
L Crows H
L Swans H
L Demons A

I think the club needs 8 more wins for finals which is beyond the group for this year and I think the key is to reload for next year and my keys for this year would be to work on the game style and have a set back 6 experienced and with good foot skills to maintain possession and composure and vital is a mostly stable back 6 with
Shaw Davis TOJ
Whitfield Corr Griffen
With Kennedy/Cumming/Perryman spending time rotating through
Also forward entries and leading patterns of the forwards and to try and have Patton playing with space in the forward 50
With the injury the Deledio I think the club may try and keep Griffen around for next year
Reid and Buckley to stay in the NEAFL after the bye
HH and Tomlinson to play forward/wing if they are in the team, too much playing over the park and losing the skill set in their main area of the ground
I would like to see Perryman play out the year to see how he goes and if he is suited HB or wing, Cumming to hopefully get up to 10 games by the end of the year and work on HB/wing and then Bonar to hopefully come in for 2/3 games to see how he adjusts to the pace of the game and Daniels depending on form in the back half of the year to have a taste and the same for Flynn and I don't think Sproule with see action this year with HH and Tomlinson around
I dont think 8-9 wins is out of the question. We ain't winning the flag.We're in a hole at the moment and things look bleak, possibly worse than they are. Our best form early this year would do it I think. The problem as I see it it's unlikely we'll turn it around quickly and thus we'll likely drop further behind in the short term. I think we can look forward to the following:-

1. Lobb will play himself into fitness and form.
2. Jezza's toe will get better.
3. Toby comes back.
4. Bunts and Kelly get match fitness and touch
5. Kenners will become available.

Less sure is the form of Patton and Himmelburg, that requires a bit of faith. As does turning around the performance of our mids, which has only really been evident the last two weeks.

This assumes no more bad news, or at least nothing major, if that happens then yeah we're ****ed.

I dont think 8-9 wins is out of the question. We're in a hole at the moment and things look bleak, 0iss8bly worse than they are. Our best form early this year would do it I think. The problem as I see it it's unlikely we'll turn it around quickly and thus we'll likely drop further behind in the short term. I think we can look forward to the following:-

1. Lobb will play himself into fitness and form.
2. Jezza's toe will get better.
3. Toby comes back.
4. Bunts and Kelly get match fitness and touch
5. Kenners becomes available.

Less sure is the form of Patton and Himmelburg, that requires a bit of faith. As does turning around the performance of our mids, which has only really been evident the last two weeks.

This assumes no more bad news, or at least nothing major, if that happens then yeah we're ******.

Anything is possible but the form of the team is so far down I think even the suns game is a danger game
Not sure on Toby coming back as I wanted to google the injury that LC mentioned on talking footy but maybe I can later but I think it is related to what he did in NY on the off season and if he has ruined his season because of that and returning too soon
The other thing he mentioned was that Lobb didn’t train in the pre season and the question to ask is why didn’t he have surgery at the end of last season and it could be related to the recruitment of Keefe and having 3 FT rucks and another 3/4 PT on the list

Anything is possible but the form of the team is so far down I think even the suns game is a danger game
Not sure on Toby coming back as I wanted to google the injury that LC mentioned on talking footy but maybe I can later but I think it is related to what he did in NY on the off season and if he has ruined his season because of that and returning too soon

It's not really related, or at least only tangentially at best.

"Hot spots" are usually indication of an imminent stress fractures. Rest is the only recovery until it goes away. It's more common for hot spots to occur without an associated injury. The most recent examples of McDonald 2018, Phillips 2017, Jacobs 2016 (played with it and ended up fracturing), Redden 2014 all had hot spots without any other injury. Toby is the outlier in that he had another foot injury earlier so while I can't rule out a connection it seems very unlikely.

The other thing he mentioned was that Lobb didn’t train in the pre season and the question to ask is why didn’t he have surgery at the end of last season and it could be related to the recruitment of Keefe and having 3 FT rucks and another 3/4 PT on the list
I'd be cautious about venturing into the realm of medical decisions on Lobb. Maybe it's my experience working in Hospitals but assuming you know more than clinicians is dangerous ground to me. My assumption on Toby was Raymann's view last week his return might be imminent. That could be out of date.

In general I wouldn't overinflate the short term when looking from the season perspective. We could certainly miss though.

I think we went into the season believing we had two rucks capable of performing at AFL level and one developing. Dont know what Dawson did in the Saints game but it's clearly put h8lim on the outer.

I do disagree picking up Keefe was a mistake. The problem is we have had to rely on him with Patton's poor form. It's likely with the cap it was him or a vacant slot on the list I think.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-29/external-noise-doesnt-faze-undersiege-giants

"If we have to rely on other people saying negative things about us to get better, then we've got a few issues I reckon.

"If you're using that as motivation it's a short-term solution and that doesn't fix our issues.

"We're a very honest footy club, we understand where we are, we understand that we need to get better, and we don't need 'Joe Blow' telling us that to motivate us.

7 games left in the season and 4 wins could see the team in finals which is possible but would mean the team would be relying on a few upsets to north and the hawks to make it in and with the way the draw works they have an easier run into the finals. The next two games will be telling as I could see the mids dominating in one of the games and being able to get a win but what too me is more important is no new injuries and some positive news on the injury front
Last seven games
The 50/50 games may not actually be 50/50 games but if they manage to win 2 of them then finals are likely but the Swans and Demons games will be decided by the injury list IMO and the club will look back at the first Saints game and the Bombers games as the ones that should have been won so hopefully the coaches and players have learnt from those games
Tigers H 50/50
Power A 50/50
Saints H W
Blues A W
Crows H W
Swans H 50/50
Demons A 50/50

From the fox footy site, agree with some of them but I would have Langdon as best first year player 18 games and a goal a game then 8 games for Taylor, I am sure arguments could be made either way but I would go Langdon with a couple of games with 3 goals

GWS

MVP: Stephen Coniglio, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield

Most Courageous: Callan Ward

Best First Year: Sam Taylor

From the fox footy site, agree with some of them but I would have Langdon as best first year player 18 games and a goal a game then 8 games for Taylor, I am sure arguments could be made either way but I would go Langdon with a couple of games with 3 goals

GWS

MVP: Stephen Coniglio, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield

Most Courageous: Callan Ward

Best First Year: Sam Taylor
I agree in that Langdon has been the most impactful over the year, but I really do think Taylor is one out of the box so not going to quibble it too much..

Back