Mod. Notice 2018 AFLW - Critics get your fill here.

Remove this Banner Ad

23 games compared to 29 games last year is as good sample size as you can get. As I stated earlier, remove the abnormal crowd due to the new perth stadium and average crowds are down 25%

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
But does a 25% reduction mean anything when being compared to only one other season? The inaugural one at that?

Could it not be that season 1 was overinflated 25%?

I’d be more keen to see how season 3-10 track...

But does a 25% reduction mean anything when being compared to only one other season? The inaugural one at that?

Could it not be that season 1 was overinflated 25%?

I’d be more keen to see how season 3-10 track...
Yeah fair call, my point was it's why it's been shifted to secondary t.v. channels and why tv stations/radio aren't covering it or wanting to get in bidding war over it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just proving why broadcasters and the like aren't jumping over each other to get the rights, the public doesn't want it. Crowd numbers are a clear indication that the want to watch AFLW is dwindling already.

Im not sure what your comparison to GC and GWS has to this conversation, no new teams have been added since last year.

As for Brisbane playing in rain, last years numbers for their home games were 5,500, 3,500, 4,200 so even if there was no rain, all 3 are below the average so that argument doesn't really work and im sure there was rain at other games last year that there wasn't this year.

But please, keep on making a fool of yourself with your head in the sand and preaching AFLW deserves more. Its simple, they will get more than what they deserve at this point (already are) but far less than what nuffies (your word) like you want and demand
I am preaching AFLW deserves more?
More what?
More broadcasts? - nope, don't think that.
More main channel? - nope.

I am saying your understanding of statistics is woeful. You exclude the Freo game because the numbers are inflated because of the novelty factor of the ground, but everyone at the time of the inaugral game said the numbers were inflated because of the novelty factor, including you.
So I am wondering why you exclude the biggest game of season 2, but include the biggest game of season 1, when both were said to be aberrations. Is it because doing it one way gives you the number you want?

I find it highly amusing that the critics prior to AFLW starting were saying it would fail because it would get crowds in the hundreds, and those that thought it would get thousands were delusional. The critics just moved the bar. The critics will always move the bar. There is literally no conceivable number that would cause you to change your mind.

PS. Brisbane getting several thousand fewer spectators over the season because of a bad weather run affects the overall average irrespective of whether Brisbane's average is below or above the overall average. Maths again, tricky stuff.

PPS. The low number of games means differences in schedules, locations and weather have far larger affects on averages than is the case for the men's comp. This means you cannot create a meaningful trend line from 2 season's.
I know others have already mentioned it, but you seemed to be having trouble, hope it helps.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I invented nothing, it was written clear as day multiple times across the two week period (when they were discussing the low crowds and tv ratings figures).

Have a nice day :D

The comments you mentioned simply do not exist. You've provided no links to said articles, i never read any either (and Im a subscriber), none show up on google, and I cant find them anywhere else. You've invented something that appears to not have happened.

I'd be keen to see what excuses there will be if the downward trend continues.
You use the percentage drop arrived at by leaving out season 2s out of trend largest crowd, but including season 1s out of trend largest crowd. Again, why? Do you just like saying 25% drop? You could leave out the second biggest crowd in season 2, and get an even bigger number. It would be just as valid.

You use the percentage drop arrived at by leaving out season 2s out of trend largest crowd, but including season 1s out of trend largest crowd. Again, why? Do you just like saying 25% drop? You could leave out the second biggest crowd in season 2, and get an even bigger number. It would be just as valid.

What you don't understand or fail to grasp is I left that game out as it is clear as day that people did not turn up to watch AFLW, they turned up to experience the new stadium. This is proven by the fact no other Freo game in 2018 has attracted more than 4,000 people - or is there some other reason 38,000 don't turn up to their other home games?

I didn't exclude the 1st game of 2017 as people did turn up to watch the game, novelty item yes but they still turned up to watch the game.

But it you want me to exclude rnd1 Carl v Coll in 2017 and the perth game in 2018 then I will:
2017 ave attendance - 6194
2018 ave attendance - 5096
That's a decrease of 17.73%, not very good reading and again proving that this juggernaut you AFLW lovers keep speaking of isn't getting the attention you think it is.

FFS, look at the womens board on bigfooty, the only ones posting anything about AFLW these days is in this thread - threads like AFLW 2018 - Round 4 - What did you like, learn or hate? have stopped being made, TV ratings thread has basically stopped etc. all because no-one watches or the figures do not support AFLW supporters agendas

What you don't understand or fail to grasp is I left that game out as it is clear as day that people did not turn up to watch AFLW, they turned up to experience the new stadium. This is proven by the fact no other Freo game in 2018 has attracted more than 4,000 people - or is there some other reason 38,000 don't turn up to their other home games?

I didn't exclude the 1st game of 2017 as people did turn up to watch the game, novelty item yes but they still turned up to watch the game.

But it you want me to exclude rnd1 Carl v Coll in 2017 and the perth game in 2018 then I will:
2017 ave attendance - 6194
2018 ave attendance - 5096
That's a decrease of 17.73%, not very good reading and again proving that this juggernaut you AFLW lovers keep speaking of isn't getting the attention you think it is.

FFS, look at the womens board on bigfooty, the only ones posting anything about AFLW these days is in this thread - threads like AFLW 2018 - Round 4 - What did you like, learn or hate? have stopped being made, TV ratings thread has basically stopped etc. all because no-one watches or the figures do not support AFLW supporters agendas
If you don't think average attendances of 5000 aren't fantastic then you'll never be pleased by the AFLW, 5k averages way surpass what most people expected (which would have been 1k or lower when looking at where they originally had games scheduled).
I don't think the SANFL even get that many!

" 2017 - Port Adelaide was ranked fourth for home match attendances at 2546, behind Norwood (3262), Sturt (2916) and Glenelg (2571).

The Magpies jumped to third – narrowly – when comparing club daytime attendance averages (Norwood, Glenelg and West all play night football, which typically draws better crowds).

When day games are compared, Port’s attendances were 2546 compared to Glenelg’s 2539."

If you don't think average attendances of 5000 aren't fantastic then you'll never be pleased by the AFLW, 5k averages way surpass what most people expected (which would have been 1k or lower when looking at where they originally had games scheduled).
I don't think the SANFL even get that many!

" 2017 - Port Adelaide was ranked fourth for home match attendances at 2546, behind Norwood (3262), Sturt (2916) and Glenelg (2571).

The Magpies jumped to third – narrowly – when comparing club daytime attendance averages (Norwood, Glenelg and West all play night football, which typically draws better crowds).

When day games are compared, Port’s attendances were 2546 compared to Glenelg’s 2539."

Didn't say that its a bad crowd, but attendances have decreased this year by about 20% if you take out the abnormal crowd for he first Perth Stadium game, that's worrying for a comp in its 2nd season

Didn't say that its a bad crowd, but attendances have decreased this year by about 20% if you take out the abnormal crowd for he first Perth Stadium game, that's worrying for a comp in its 2nd season
That's pretty typical, just look at new stadium crowds, even team crowds like GCS and GWS suffered a similar fate after the first year boost.

As someone noted above; maybe last year was about 20% higher than the expected average would be, and - if it continues on as a competition primarily based at suburban grounds - is ~5k attendance per game a sustainable figure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've mostly enjoyed AFLW more this year - overall a much higher standard and more attractive football than last year.

Unfortunately, the one big exception this year was the opening game Pies v Blues, where both teams went ultra defensive, each stacking there defences resulting in a total unwatchable stinker and the worst women's game I've ever seen at any level. It was this game, televised on the main ch7 that reached the biggest audience and led to much of the negative 'vibe' this season, despite all the other games being much better.

I note that after it's first two games, Collingwood basically abandoned its (ineffective and unwatchable) defensive tactics, allowed the women to actually attack and play footy and guess what - not only did they score a lot more, but they actually started winning and playing attractive good to watch footy

It was dead unlucky that the first game, in what was otherwise a season of much improved footy, got the season off to such a bad start to the biggest live and TV audience, with the resulting negative backlash.

They got to fix the umpiring - Across the board they have managed to make the umpires in the men's game look competent. If the AFLW umpires are any indication about what will happen to the AFL umpires, the game will go to s**t

Today was the most atrocious umpiring i've seen since the 2012 Prelim final

Last night at Whitten Oval was just absurdly inconsistent

They got to fix the umpiring - Across the board they have managed to make the umpires in the men's game look competent. If the AFLW umpires are any indication about what will happen to the AFL umpires, the game will go to s**t

Today was the most atrocious umpiring i've seen since the 2012 Prelim final

Last night at Whitten Oval was just absurdly inconsistent
I think the umpiring in the women’s game is better, they seem to let it go more. A couple of dodgy ones today, the ruck rule is a shocker, but Adelaide had a fairly good run from the umps and were just not good enough on the day.

I think the umpiring in the women’s game is better, they seem to let it go more. A couple of dodgy ones today, the ruck rule is a shocker, but Adelaide had a fairly good run from the umps and were just not good enough on the day.

Adelaide definitely not good enough on the day - Not saying we were robbed or anything, but there were two distinct interpretations re: HTB & throws in todays game that was not umpired consistently

Two vs three field umpires has an effect on interpretations. With two umpires, if they are being inconsistent at least you get rotation as they tap each other through and on average you'll come out ok. With three umpires, it so often seems the ump at one end will be pinging every minor transgression and the one at the other end has put the whistle away. I've seen that completely alter the balance of the game to favour one attacking team.

They MUST play more games for this competition to have any respect.
Seeing players jump all over each other in victory after winning a "grand final" after ONLY PLAYING 8 games is ridiculous.

They MUST play more games for this competition to have any respect.
Seeing players jump all over each other in victory after winning a "grand final" after ONLY PLAYING 8 games is ridiculous.

Presumably they're going to stick with a fixture where each team plays one-another once, so as they add teams the season will extend.

I haven't read too closely as to their intended fixture with new teams added in, so let me know if that's not the case.

I'd like a longer season too, but I didn't realise the winners of Wimbledon and world cups don't celebrate. And Usain Bolt won a few 10-second races at the Olympics, why was he jumping around and pretending to be happy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back