Mod. Notice 2018 AFLW - Critics get your fill here.

Remove this Banner Ad

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great call to play the grand final at ikon. Will be a great atmosphere. Again the girlsplayfooty Facebook fans they are complaining it's not at Etihad or the mcg. I mean those idiots can't see how bad of a spectacle 10k at a 100k stadium
Would be

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Great call to play the grand final at ikon. Will be a great atmosphere. Again the girlsplayfooty Facebook fans they are complaining it's not at Etihad or the mcg. I mean those idiots can't see how bad of a spectacle 10k at a 100k stadium
Would be

If the Lions can somehow swing getting supporters across to Etihad before the St Kilda game starts, the crowd at Princes Park should be decent.

I’d think around 20k at Princes Park would be a good turn-out, Etihad would be terrible with that many.

I’d be surprised if it’s a lockout, the weather forecast isn’t all that flash and the Dogs are playing in Canberra so you’d think that will take out some potential supporters.

keithrichards

Premiership Player
Dec 11, 2008
Shepparton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not a criticism of the AFLW as such, but of the reaction to the KB suspension, and some of the fans and media’s arguments for her to get off.

Comments like Whately’s ‘if she were male, she’d be clear to play’, and general comments about how the rules shouldn’t be different from the mens game make no sense to me.

There’d be a dozon or more rules in the AFLW that are different to the AFL, and all of these have been well known prior to the season. This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who follows (or reports on) AFLW.

As for Mark Robinson’s comments: “The media coverage of the women’s game, it’s equivalent to the men’s coverage, it really is. We’ve got to have the same penalties”. What the hell does that even mean? Why do the penalties need to be the same?!

There are clear and significant differences between the AFL and AFLW, we can’t demand consistency between the two, only consistency within the individual comp itself.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Typical media, don't really give a crap all season long but come GF and an 'injustice' they want it rectified even though the rules have been in place all year long - yes lets change it for one woman for one game and make a big deal out of it.

Goes to show no-one in the general AFL media has really been following it or gave a crap enough about it to ask for change earlier

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I would ask this in the Brennan thread but too many bulldog complainers to get a true indication.

To the likes of Wookie, Jatz and other big AFLW supporters, what do you think of the bulldogs going down the discrimination path? Surely doesn't help AFLW trying to garner more fans and convert AFL fans
Think it's a big mistake for the league, and for the Dogs, and Katie.

Firstly I don't think it can work. There are to many examples of comps under the AFLs control where the same thing would happen to men, for an argument of discrimination to work imop.

There are also to many differences between the comp to argue diffences in pay are due to gender. Although this is a little less clear, as the AFL is making so much it can afford to pay them more, it just chooses not to.

For the league, it risks wallowing in negativity. There has been a huge leap in quality, but if you followed social media you could conclude it has gone backwards. This one event has let people with no interest in or understanding of the AFLW pile on. This is an action by one player backed by one club, but already critical commentary is focused on 'them' as in, all the players, playing the sex discrimination card.

For the Dogs it looks hypocritical. This penalty regime was promoted by the AFLPA, with female player representation. The Dogs were fine with it until it bit them, when it's to late. Unless they protested behind the scenes.

For Katie, she risks making this the cornerstone of her career. To become the player that played the sex card, with little chance of actually making a difference I think this is unfair on her, I think her heart is in the rigjt place.

Some of the social commentary purportedly supporting her does not have her or the comps best interests at heart, the are using it to fight an ideological battle, and I don't know they can tell the difference between the 2.

Again, this ideological battle will be used as a bat with which to beat all players, who will henceforth, in every debate be referred to as 'gender warriors', playing the 'sexism card' to get something they are not entitled to.

It will contribute to the storm of negative commentary about the league, and it's the negativity that is the only real danger to it. It's not game quality, scoring, crowds, viewers, it's negativity.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I would ask this in the Brennan thread but too many bulldog complainers to get a true indication.

To the likes of Wookie, Jatz and other big AFLW supporters, what do you think of the bulldogs going down the discrimination path? Surely doesn't help AFLW trying to garner more fans and convert AFL fans
Many male comps. & female comps. have different Rules to the AFL eg:-
. VAFA is the old "actual PUSH in the back" in a marking contest (not simply an AFL 'slight hand on the back', which attracts a free kick).
. VAFA has the Order Off Rule; & 25 metre penalty (not 50 mtrs); pays a free kick if Club officials are clearly identified & abuse FU's.
. GR female comps. can play 15-a-side (or less)
. Some male country comps. allow less than 18-a-side occasionally
Many other examples.

Brennan clearly did a forceful sling tackle -which has the potential to cause a concussion, broken wrist/collarbone etc. IMO, such tackles are totally unnecessary, & need to be eradicated forever from the game -MINIMUM penalty 3 weeks.

It is an absurdity, & an embarassment to Footscray & Brennan, to be claiming contravention of "Sex Discrimination" Laws
Can prof. male tennis players claim they are being sexually discriminated against due to having to play 5 sets -but receive no extra Prize Money cf. women who play 3 sets max.?
Can prof. female basketballers claim they are being discriminated against because the hoop is too high, which makes it virtually impossible for them to do slamdunks -thus reducing their "star appeal" & consequent earnings/sponsorship monies etc?

This farcical claim will, unnecessarily, expose the AFLW (unfairly) to ridicule; & provide ammunition to AFLW naysayers who will use any opportunity to criticise the AFLW.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Its a crap call by everyone at the Dogs. They should be ashamed of themselves. Discrimination my ass. Jatz comments above pretty much reflect my own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TigerTrain23

Senior List
Jul 14, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
First they changed the time. And now Missy Higgins can't even perform due to the rain. Should have always been at Etihad regardless of the weather. Absolutely stupid decision to base it at Ikon Park.

Marcus DuQuesne

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep it's high scoring...7 pts to 1 pt at half time. No skill factor in this game unless you look at the lack of skill. Plenty of endeavour and that's about it. Watched 20 mins of second Qtr and neither side looked like scoring. Just a bevy of plonkers running around like chook's with heads off. This competition has only just above zero value in the landscape of Ozzie Rules Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back