AFLW 2018 AFLW Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Country v Qld. Lopsided score, but Qld played much better than the scores indicate.

Having watched 2 games now, can also say that the basic skills or tackling, protecting yourself when you put your head over the ball, finding an outlet even when under pressure, are much more developed and consistent than the AFLW... there is a lot of players in this carnival that are going to be very good AFLW players. Those predicting a drop in standard due to expansion are wrong imop,[Great to hear!] there is a LOT of very good footballers coming through.
Your view on likelihood of a future, expanded AFLW drop in standard, Pie4Life?

Also, as per my post #20 above, to turbocharge interest/respect/crowds/Ratings for the AFLW ("footy street cred"), do you believe a focus should be placed on training/encouraging a few, very well co-ordinated players from each AFLW side to do hangers & torps? Do you remember the huge amount of MSM coverage/video when Taylah Harris took a hanger in a Melb. vs. Footscray exhibition match?

Even though I only saw twenty minutes yesterday, it was definitely brimming with a really encouraging display of skill. Biggest difference from AFLW level is no doubt the body-on-body stuff. Naturally some players won't hold up so well under more intense physical pressure. On the other hand, some thrive:
giphy.gif

Nina Morrison, unsurprisingly already mentioned on the first page, with the kick there that I just had to gif.

As a few interesting notes, I reckon if Alyce Parker was in Victoria, she'd be right up there with Prespakis and Hanks for that top pick. Just oozes class and glides around the field. Probably the smoothest mover in the draft crop, so the Giants are getting a beauty there.

Really like the look of Lily Postlethwaite and Zimmorlei Farquharson for Queensland. McKenzie Dowrick was superb as expected for WA, Kate Bartlett surely gets a chance as an overager, she looks too good not to get a look-in, and Shannon Whale, although limited exposure due to a defensive role, her kicking is elite. Quite a bit of talent in that WA side, there's half a dozen I could see contribute at AFLW level next season at least.

My biggest disappointment I guess you'd say was the Central Allies. It's only gameday one, but no-one really blew me away. Nikki Gore had the ball on a string and Katelyn Rosenzweig was good in attack, but I was expecting big things, so hopefully the next two games are step ups because Eastern Allies controlled the game for most of it.
First time I had come across Postlethwaite, and boy, is she a gun.
I have seen Alyce Parker before, but she is turning into a real unit. She will be physically ready for AFLW from day 1.

I think what stands out for me is much greater depth. I think the bottom players are much better than they used to be.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Your view on likelihood of a future, expanded AFLW drop in standard, Pie4Life?

Also, as per my post #20 above, to turbocharge interest/respect/crowds/Ratings for the AFLW ("footy street cred"), do you believe a focus should be placed on training/encouraging a few, very well co-ordinated players from each AFLW side to do hangers & torps? Do you remember the huge amount of MSM coverage/video when Taylah Harris took a hanger in a Melb. vs. Footscray exhibition match?
I think the standard in the AFLW might drop 2019-2020, but bounce back by 2021 when the super talents with more depth (current u16s) come through. The women's game is a lot about promoting the brand, with clubs working with the AFL in many cases to promote their side and bring up membership rather than going as serious as the men's in terms of independence. It will get there, just give it time.

Vic Country v Qld. Lopsided score, but Qld played much better than the scores indicate.

Having watched 2 games now, can also say that the basic skills or tackling, protecting yourself when you put your head over the ball, finding an outlet even when under pressure, are much more developed and consistent than the AFLW. At this stage they lack the endurance and physicality of the AFLW, but when they get it, there is a lot of players in this carnival that are going to be very good AFLW players. Those predicting a drop in standard due to expansion are wrong imop, there is a LOT of very good footballers coming through.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-06-09/aflw-u18-queensland-v-vic-country

thanks for the links; agree with your assessment of the Vic C v Qld game; Country deserved the win and had more system and talent, but Qld were a little unlucky not to have posted a better score.
Loved the game of Qld's Kitara Farrar, she's a bottom-age player so won't be drafted this year but she has class to burn. She's a Cairns girl apparently; just moved up here 6ish months ago and pleased to see that Aussie Rules has a decent foothold, particularly at junior level ...

There's a lot of depth in the girls compared to last year. That goes deeper next year, then the year after. Within a few years, I believe many followers will be just as excited about the female talent coming through as the male ones.

Gabby Newton (utility who can literally play anywhere) and Ellie McKenzie (mid/forward who has played some footy back) (both Northern products) are my predictions for the number one pick the next two years. But they are not alone, Georgia Patrikios (creative forward at Calder - 2019 eligible) and Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets KPD - 2020 eligible) are others who will be names to remember over the next few years.

Newton really showed her talent against WA, and that's two very good games I've seen Patrikios play now .... Newton would nudge #10 this year were she eligible ..

Newton really showed her talent against WA, and that's two very good games I've seen Patrikios play now .... Newton would nudge #10 this year were she eligible ..
Newton would be top five in this draft IMO. Patrikios, Hanks, Morrison probably the three ahead of her, then she's in the next handful of players.

Newton would be top five in this draft IMO. Patrikios, Hanks, Morrison probably the three ahead of her, then she's in the next handful of players.

From the little I have watched I would have to agree.

As a Geelong fan it will be fascinating to see whether the Cats take Hanks or Morrison with #2; they won't get a crack at either at #11.
Starting to suspect they might go with Morrison.

Anyone had any big movers in their eyes so far? For me Katie Lynch from Metro has been the biggest riser, absolute class player
Postlethwaite from Qld is a player I hadn't really come across before, looks real class. Doesn't influence the Vic draft order of course.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Anyone had any big movers in their eyes so far? For me Katie Lynch from Metro has been the biggest riser, absolute class player
I had her in that 10-15 bracket Vic wise. I think she's into that 5-10 bracket now.

Open Draft: Constantly changing my mind but...
1 Madison Prespakis
2 Alyce Parker
3 Nina Morrison
4 Tyla Hanks
5 Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 Olivia Purcell
7 Lily Postlethwaite
8 Mikala Cann
9 Katie Lynch
10 Georgia Clarke

2019: Open draft roughly

1. Gabby Newton
2. Georgia Patrikios
3. Lucy McEvoy
4. Ellie Hampson
5. Laura McClelland
6. Hannah Munyard
7. Isabella Grant
8. Montana McKinnon
9. Britney Gutknecht
10. Roxanne Roux

Keeping tabs on:
EA: Georgia Garnett, Lillian Doyle, Alice Mitchell
CA: Amber Ward
QLD: Isabel Dawes, Dee Heslop, Serene Watson, Kitara Farrar,
WA: Mikayla Bowen, Mikayla Hyde,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019: Open draft roughly

1. Gabby Newton
2. Georgia Patrikios
3. Lucy McEvoy
4. Ellie Hampson
5. Laura McClelland
6. Hannah Munyard
7. Isabella Grant
8. Montana McKinnon
9. Britney Gutknecht
10. Roxanne Roux

Keeping tabs on:
EA: Georgia Garnett, Lillian Doyle, Alice Mitchell
CA: Amber Ward
QLD: Isabel Dawes, Dee Heslop, Serene Watson, Kitara Farrar,
WA: Mikayla Bowen, Mikayla Hyde,

The top 3 were real standouts during the championships; McEvoy could be anything, strong-bodied forward who really knows her craft.

Open Draft: Constantly changing my mind but...
1 Madison Prespakis
2 Alyce Parker
3 Nina Morrison
4 Tyla Hanks
5 Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 Olivia Purcell
7 Lily Postlethwaite
8 Mikala Cann
9 Katie Lynch
10 Georgia Clarke

are you able to confirm whether this is the correct draft order Pie 4 Life ?

1 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
2 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
3 Carlton
4 Fremantle
5 Collingwood
6 Adelaide
7 GIANTS
8 Melbourne
9 Brisbane Lions
10 Western Bulldogs
11 Geelong Cats
12 North Melbourne

??

If so;

I reckon the Cats might nab Nina Morrison with #2, and Hanks to Carlton at #3 .... after that I've little clue, hopefully another Falcon falls to the Cats at #11, if I were picking I'd be pretty happy with Denby Taylor.

Last edited:
With all the U18 draft prospects being speculated on, one absolute jet of a player has slipped under the radar.

Chloe Scheer from South Australia.

Prior to doing her ACL winter last year (before the U18 Nationals?) she had won the SANFLW (summer comp) rising star.

Before that in 2016, she won the SAWFL U18 B&F, SAWFL U18 goal kicking, was 3rd in the SAWFL Div 1 seniors goal kicking and...
WON THE SAWFL Div 1 seniors B&F AT AGE SIXTEEN!!!

No one knows what state draft pool she'll nominate for, but there's smoky in the draft.

The top 3 were real standouts during the championships; McEvoy could be anything, strong-bodied forward who really knows her craft.

are you able to confirm whether this is the correct draft order Pie 4 Life ?

1 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
2 Geelong Cats (compensation pick)
3 Carlton
4 Fremantle
5 Collingwood
6 Adelaide
7 GIANTS
8 Melbourne
9 Brisbane Lions
10 Western Bulldogs
11 Geelong Cats
12 North Melbourne

??

If so;

I reckon the Cats might nab Nina Morrison with #2, and Hanks to Carlton at #3 .... after that I've little clue, hopefully another Falcon falls to the Cats at #11, if I were picking I'd be pretty happy with Denby Taylor.

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/06/06/magpies-swoop-cats-pounce-into-early-aflw-draft-spots/

This is the first two rounds:

67ea8d9dd55c978bc87c7003e49b11d9.png

My predicted R1:

1 Geelong - Madison Prespakis
2 Geelong - Nina Morrison
3 Carlton - Tyla Hanks
4 Fremantle - McKenzie Dowrick**
5 Collingwood - Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 Melbourne - Georgia Clarke
7 Geelong - Olivia Purcell
8 Adelaide - Nikki Gore**
9 Brisbane - Lily Postlethwaite**
10 WB - Mikala Cann
11 Collingwood - Katie Lynch

** doesn't really matter with exclusive access. I think from #5 makes it interesting, reckon the top three you can guarantee now. Pies could consider Van De Heuvel/Purcell/Cann IMO. Van De Heuvel is probably the greatest need. Melbourne need KPD, but might consider Purcell as well given Lily Mithen and Purcell are close.

The next two picks are Collingwood and Geelong before Melbourne. I reckon Collingwood will take an Emerson Woods type, while Geelong will probably stick homegrown and go Denby Taylor. The others Pies would consider are Bec Webster and Daisy Bateman, both of whom should be there for their next set of picks, well certainly Bateman. Also that Oakleigh connection with Lynch and Bateman.

Melbourne could roll the dice with Clarke and go for Purcell at #6 and then Clarke may be availably at their next pick, but it's a risk.

My predicted R1:

1 Geelong - Madison Prespakis
2 Geelong - Nina Morrison
3 Carlton - Tyla Hanks
4 Fremantle - McKenzie Dowrick**
5 Collingwood - Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 Melbourne - Georgia Clarke
7 Geelong - Olivia Purcell
8 Adelaide - Nikki Gore**
9 Brisbane - Lily Postlethwaite**
10 WB - Mikala Cann
11 Collingwood - Katie Lynch

** doesn't really matter with exclusive access. I think from #5 makes it interesting, reckon the top three you can guarantee now. Pies could consider Van De Heuvel/Purcell/Cann IMO. Van De Heuvel is probably the greatest need. Melbourne need KPD, but might consider Purcell as well given Lily Mithen and Purcell are close.

The next two picks are Collingwood and Geelong before Melbourne. I reckon Collingwood will take an Emerson Woods type, while Geelong will probably stick homegrown and go Denby Taylor. The others Pies would consider are Bec Webster and Daisy Bateman, both of whom should be there for their next set of picks, well certainly Bateman. Also that Oakleigh connection with Lynch and Bateman.

Melbourne could roll the dice with Clarke and go for Purcell at #6 and then Clarke may be availably at their next pick, but it's a risk.
I'd be willing to bet that Collingwood would go Bateman over Woods, she's more consistent and proven.
Anyone that wants Woods could get her in the 20's now

Looking past the top 10 or so players, there's a few I like who may not be A-graders but could certainly come in and fulfill a role for a club at AFLW level.

Eleanor Brown stood out to me during the championships as a real competitor; she has an awkward kicking technique that might see her drop down the order but she is as strong overhead as just about anyone at her level and has quick hands, could be a versatile type at AFLW level (and still has time to work on that kicking style).

Lauren Szigeti didn't make the AA squad of 48 (!!), yet might suit a team looking to bolster their defense with a later pick; she's strongly built, a good kick and a smart player. Possibly lacks a bit of endurance and speed, but she's tough and clever.

I'd be willing to bet that Collingwood would go Bateman over Woods, she's more consistent and proven.
Anyone that wants Woods could get her in the 20's now
Her form is better over the second half of the season, Woods has more versatility. I reckon most of Woods' touches in that final game came in the first quarter. Bateman is that X-factor up forward, but don't think she has the endurance to push up the ground too much at this stage. I could see the Pies taking both along the way. Or the Blues snaffling Woods because she's a mad Blues fan. I know if Carlton overlooked Hanks, the Magpies would snaffle her up quick as anything, but they won't. Think they know Hanks will be there at their pick.

Looking past the top 10 or so players, there's a few I like who may not be A-graders but could certainly come in and fulfill a role for a club at AFLW level.

Eleanor Brown stood out to me during the championships as a real competitor; she has an awkward kicking technique that might see her drop down the order but she is as strong overhead as just about anyone at her level and has quick hands, could be a versatile type at AFLW level (and still has time to work on that kicking style).

Lauren Szigeti didn't make the AA squad of 48 (!!), yet might suit a team looking to bolster their defense with a later pick; she's strongly built, a good kick and a smart player. Possibly lacks a bit of endurance and speed, but she's tough and clever.
Nailed her profile. She is a great outside player that can beat anyone one-on-one. But the thing that lets her down in her kicking. She is a good size, moves well, racks up the ball, but can turn it over a bit. The other thing is confidence - speaking to her (as I have all the top-age U18s Vics), she is quite shy and humble, but you can tell what she does is more natural rather than confidence as such.

I've got a list of about 40-50 all up, but obviously there will be some that won't get drafted so I'd hate to get their hopes up.

Nailed her profile. She is a great outside player that can beat anyone one-on-one. But the thing that lets her down in her kicking. She is a good size, moves well, racks up the ball, but can turn it over a bit. The other thing is confidence - speaking to her (as I have all the top-age U18s Vics), she is quite shy and humble, but you can tell what she does is more natural rather than confidence as such.

I've got a list of about 40-50 all up, but obviously there will be some that won't get drafted so I'd hate to get their hopes up.

Interesting to hear that you've had a bit of contact with the U18 Vic girls - from the little I've seen of Brown, the good outweighs the bad (but yes: did see her turn it over a bit).

As a Collingwood fan Pie4Life, your mob has a really strong hand at the draft and has a chance to re-tool the list after some pretty handy departures during the trade period - do you think they'll go 'best available' or are there glaring vacancies that need to be filled, positionally?

Interesting to hear that you've had a bit of contact with the U18 Vic girls - from the little I've seen of Brown, the good outweighs the bad (but yes: did see her turn it over a bit).

As a Collingwood fan Pie4Life, your mob has a really strong hand at the draft and has a chance to re-tool the list after some pretty handy departures during the trade period - do you think they'll go 'best available' or are there glaring vacancies that need to be filled, positionally?
Yeah we are doing features on all the top-age U18 Vic girls so everyone can can get to know them a bit as well. We've already done quite a few and will get them all done (along with however many of the interstate ones we can get done), so people understand their stories as well as on the field. I agree re: Brown and I have her as about 17 in the Vic only draft - so in that next batch that comes along, potentially the Dogs could look for that taller midfielder given they have so many good inside types or outside burst types.

In terms of Collingwood, we certainly need to address our forward issues, which is why Bateman, Van De Heuvel and Woods are three I would target. At the start of the season I wasn't sold on Woods, but she is the type of half-forward who will work well in transition and you need that. But certainly Van De Heuvel is one I would target as a priority. Rebecca Webster is another important player who is underrated and has that big body midfielder, and if we can add her and Katie Lynch, all of a sudden the midfield has some strength (and class with Van De Heuvel). I get the feeling we will probably pick up Hannah McLaren late because of the link, and we need a ruck so maybe a Carla Rendelmann who I think would go to Essendon once they start up.

From a personal perspective, one player I really rate who probably had one good and one quiet game in the Champs is Emily Haeusler. Started from a long way back, but she's good overhead, great one-on-one and reads the play so well. She's a character as well. Same with Holly Bate. Haeusler and Bate were probably the two funniest girls I spoke to when interviewing them.

Yeah we are doing features on all the top-age U18 Vic girls so everyone can can get to know them a bit as well. We've already done quite a few and will get them all done (along with however many of the interstate ones we can get done), so people understand their stories as well as on the field. I agree re: Brown and I have her as about 17 in the Vic only draft - so in that next batch that comes along, potentially the Dogs could look for that taller midfielder given they have so many good inside types or outside burst types.

In terms of Collingwood, we certainly need to address our forward issues, which is why Bateman, Van De Heuvel and Woods are three I would target. At the start of the season I wasn't sold on Woods, but she is the type of half-forward who will work well in transition and you need that. But certainly Van De Heuvel is one I would target as a priority. Rebecca Webster is another important player who is underrated and has that big body midfielder, and if we can add her and Katie Lynch, all of a sudden the midfield has some strength (and class with Van De Heuvel). I get the feeling we will probably pick up Hannah McLaren late because of the link, and we need a ruck so maybe a Carla Rendelmann who I think would go to Essendon once they start up.

From a personal perspective, one player I really rate who probably had one good and one quiet game in the Champs is Emily Haeusler. Started from a long way back, but she's good overhead, great one-on-one and reads the play so well. She's a character as well. Same with Holly Bate. Haeusler and Bate were probably the two funniest girls I spoke to when interviewing them.

Awesome, looking forward to those feature profiles :thumbsu:

Bec Webster looks really good, like her a lot either as a midfielder or could potentially play half-back too.
McLaren would be a solid later pick too, tough player.

Must admit I haven't noticed much of Haeusler or Bate, but then again I've only watched a handful of matches.

Woods is zippy and I agree that clubs need players with her ability to run, spread and use the ball well in space. She looks as though she still has a bit of development ahead of her, lots of potential.

I watched a game last night, Vic Country vs one of the Allies teams - the Allies ruck was very good I thought, pretty sure she was Montana McKinnon, who, upon checking it seems won't be eligible this year. Bella Smith was another tall for the Allies who looks to have a bit of potential, another under-ager apparently ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back