AFLW 2018 AFLW Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome, looking forward to those feature profiles :thumbsu:

Bec Webster looks really good, like her a lot either as a midfielder or could potentially play half-back too.
McLaren would be a solid later pick too, tough player.

Must admit I haven't noticed much of Haeusler or Bate, but then again I've only watched a handful of matches.

Woods is zippy and I agree that clubs need players with her ability to run, spread and use the ball well in space. She looks as though she still has a bit of development ahead of her, lots of potential.

I watched a game last night, Vic Country vs one of the Allies teams - the Allies ruck was very good I thought, pretty sure she was Montana McKinnon, who, upon checking it seems won't be eligible this year. Bella Smith was another tall for the Allies who looks to have a bit of potential, another under-ager apparently ...
Yep, hence why I have her #8 overall at this stage for next year. Probably the number one ruck. Not counting Newton who can play ruck, midfield, forward or back haha.

NAB AFLW Under-18 All Australian squad
  • NSW/ACT: Brianna McFarlane, Alexia Hamilton, Alyce Parker
  • NORTHERN TERRITORY: Janet Baird
  • QUEENSLAND: Lauren Bella, Belle Dawes, Kitara Farrar, Natalie Grider, Tori Groves-Little, Charlotte Hammans, Dee Heslop, Lily Postlethwaite, Serene Watson, Jacqueline Yorston
  • SOUTH AUSTRALIA: Nikki Gore, Montana McKinnon, Katelyn Rosenzweig
  • TASMANIA: Mia King
  • VIC COUNTRY: Jordyn Allen, Rene Caris, Georgia Clarke, Lucinda Cripps, Tyla Hanks, Courtney Jones, Lucy McEvoy, Nina Morrison, Olivia Purcell, Denby Taylor, Sophie Van De Huevel, Rebecca Webster
  • VIC METRO: Daisy Bateman, Eleanor Brown, Mikayla Cann, Isabella Grant, Katie Lynch, Hannah McLaren, Abbie McKay, Georgia McPherson, Gabbi Newton, Georgia Patrikios, Madison Prespakis, Emerson Woods
  • WESTERN AUSTRALIA: Kate Bartlett, Mikalya Bowen, McKenzie Dowrick, Sabreena Duffy, Rikki Ryan-Carling, Matilda Sergeant

Open Draft: Constantly changing my mind but...
1 Madison Prespakis
2 Alyce Parker
3 Nina Morrison
4 Tyla Hanks
5 Sophie Van De Heuvel
6 Olivia Purcell
7 Lily Postlethwaite
8 Mikala Cann
9 Katie Lynch
10 Georgia Clarke
Just saw Postlethwaite is a bottom-ager. Reckon they had her DOB wrong on the AFL site, wasn't until Sarah Black pointed out she is a bottom-ager (just in a Twitter discussion) and then I saw it was changed.

Queensland's best top-age prospect then is Natalie Grider. The bottom-age group is unbelievable though. Big chance to impress next year.

Also still cleaning the page up, but I've at least ordered the features page so you can see who we've interviewed - those links on there are the ones published, the rest are going to be published over the next couple of months. Need to get some more QLDers, as well as NT/Tassie girls.

AFL Women's Under 18 features

Just saw Postlethwaite is a bottom-ager. Reckon they had her DOB wrong on the AFL site, wasn't until Sarah Black pointed out she is a bottom-ager (just in a Twitter discussion) and then I saw it was changed.

Queensland's best top-age prospect then is Natalie Grider. The bottom-age group is unbelievable though. Big chance to impress next year.

Yes, all the players I rated from the 2 Qld games I watched still have another year at U18 level; Postlethwaite you mentioned, Belle Dawes's a bright prospect also, and Kitara Farrar was all class. I'm currently using Farrar as an example to my 6yo of the viable pathways to the AFLW for Cairns girls ;)

Yes, all the players I rated from the 2 Qld games I watched still have another year at U18 level; Postlethwaite you mentioned, Belle Dawes's a bright prospect also, and Kitara Farrar was all class. I'm currently using Farrar as an example to my 6yo of the viable pathways to the AFLW for Cairns girls ;)
Ellie Hampson is a natural footballer - so talented. Dee Heslop, Charlotte Hammans, Serene Watson, Zimmy Farquharson (2002). The top-end talent in the group is unbelievable.

Also still cleaning the page up, but I've at least ordered the features page so you can see who we've interviewed - those links on there are the ones published, the rest are going to be published over the next couple of months. Need to get some more QLDers, as well as NT/Tassie girls.

AFL Women's Under 18 features

Great stuff Pie 4 Life, nice to get an insight into the commitment from the various girls. Looking forward to reading Prespakis, Hanks and Morrison, particularly Hanks, she is just so fun to watch.

Ellie Hampson is a natural footballer - so talented. Dee Heslop, Charlotte Hammans, Serene Watson, Zimmy Farquharson (2002). The top-end talent in the group is unbelievable.

They performed really well as a group; from what I saw some of the kicking styles were a little homespun, but then a lot of their players tackled ferociously and were good overhead. I liked the look of their ruck, she was quite slight and not overly tall but moved really well and looked like she'd have plenty of development left in her; *might* have been Serene Watson, but tbh I can't recall for sure ..

Great stuff Pie 4 Life, nice to get an insight into the commitment from the various girls. Looking forward to reading Prespakis, Hanks and Morrison, particularly Hanks, she is just so fun to watch.

They performed really well as a group; from what I saw some of the kicking styles were a little homespun, but then a lot of their players tackled ferociously and were good overhead. I liked the look of their ruck, she was quite slight and not overly tall but moved really well and looked like she'd have plenty of development left in her; *might* have been Serene Watson, but tbh I can't recall for sure ..
Prespakis is an absolute beauty - longest interview I did. She elaborates so much. Talks about the pressure of having to deal with the number one tag from last year, said she had to unfollow some news sites (not us, we weren't doing heaps on them, but other local news and stuff) because all she read was how she was a top star and etc. In that interview she said "I just hope to make the Vic Metro squad"... very humble and genuine too.

Prespakis is an absolute beauty - longest interview I did. She elaborates so much. Talks about the pressure of having to deal with the number one tag from last year, said she had to unfollow some news sites (not us, we weren't doing heaps on them, but other local news and stuff) because all she read was how she was a top star and etc. In that interview she said "I just hope to make the Vic Metro squad"... very humble and genuine too.

Looking forward to it.
Watched an interview with her that I found on Youtube a little while ago, she was very chilled and spoke well for such a young person.... said she'd been playing organised footy since she was a 5yo, so she has a lot of experience to draw upon, something that is quite obvious when you watch her play.
In all the games I've watched her play she's shown a willingness to get back and help the defenders out when her team was a bit under the pump, often taking contested intercept marks or finding an outlet with good footskills and awareness.

Any info on Emerson Woods and where she might end up?
In terms of Vic draft I have her 10-20 range. Great vision, quick hands, can play HF or through the midfield. Needs to improve consistency through four quarters, but obviously has talent and got better as the season went on. Could see a Collingwood/Carlton looking at her potentially, but it's all guesswork at this stage.

In terms of Vic draft I have her 10-20 range. Great vision, quick hands, can play HF or through the midfield. Needs to improve consistency through four quarters, but obviously has talent and got better as the season went on. Could see a Collingwood/Carlton looking at her potentially, but it's all guesswork at this stage.

What's the base contract for a player drafted?

What's the base contract for a player drafted?
Last year's:

Tier 1 players will be paid $20,000 (up from $17,000), tier 2 players will get $14,500 (up from $12,000) and rookie list players $8,500.

So draftees will get $14,500 although that will go up you'd think given there has to be a longer season (two additional teams), and usually it goes up by a little bit anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year's:

Tier 1 players will be paid $20,000 (up from $17,000), tier 2 players will get $14,500 (up from $12,000) and rookie list players $8,500.

So draftees will get $14,500 although that will go up you'd think given there has to be a longer season (two additional teams), and usually it goes up by a little bit anyway.

Thanks for that.

We were lucky enough to have AFL Draft Central women's footy editor Julia Montesano on our podcast this week.

Julia was up on the Gold Coast last week watching the Under 18s Nationals and gave us the lowdown on the better players.

#draftcentraljuggernaut

:p

No Macpherson is shocking, unless she's bottom age and I've misread her DOB
She’s top-age and I agree it’s a bit of a shock. I think her abilities are top 10 Vic worthy. But I think her kicking can let her down sometimes and when she’s not in the game she can often be very quiet whereas others find ways to get involved. I rate her highly, and thought she could have been in the top few prospects this year but obviously not and they are the reasons why at a guess.

Suspect given Georgia Clarke is playing in Geelong's VFLW team, Cats would be keeping a close eye on her. With three picks in the top 10, could be a fair chance she ends up at the Cattery. She also did some training at the Bulldogs during her two-year AFL Women's academy tenure.

Suspect given Georgia Clarke is playing in Geelong's VFLW team, Cats would be keeping a close eye on her. With three picks in the top 10, could be a fair chance she ends up at the Cattery. She also did some training at the Bulldogs during her two-year AFL Women's academy tenure.
I'd be shocked if she drifted outside the top 10 (Vic picks). The standout KPD in the draft crop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back