AFLW 2018 AFLW Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Yo-Yo is a much better representation of AFL running style compared to the beep test

That's true but I have a much better understanding of the beep test results and how it works. There is different kinds of yo-yo tests and I don't know even know which type they did and how the results compare to the average athlete.

"Comparing scores is often difficult, especially as there is more than one version and level of the yo-yo test, and all reports do not specify which version is being used.

Below are some of the test scores that have been found, with not all of them being confirmed results and the test variation used not clear.

There are several ways of reporting the results, sometimes the total distance is reported, other times the number of levels and shuttles. See the page on Yo-Yo Intermittent Test Levels for more information."

https://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/yo-yo-intermittent.htm

Last edited:
Carlton have a video about the combine, mostly about Abby Mckay:
Emerson Woods smashed the 20m sprint with 3.129 seconds - that's lightning considering the record was more than a tenth of a second later. Mikala Cann didn't test which was disappointing, she would have flown as well. Nina Morrison also easily won the Yo-Yo test with an 18.2.

Got any more results from the various testing?

Carlton have a video about the combine, mostly about Abby Mckay:

Got any more results from the various testing?
I’ve got all the 20m sprint times. They are verifying the other ones at the moment.

So what are the chances that Carlton bypass Prespakis and opt for Van De Heuvel? Will she even make it that far? She's exactly what we need from an athletic and skill perspective but footy IQ is a mild concern. Classic case of performance vs potential.

I know there's been something of a honour code with draft zones to this point, but Geelong must be considering picking Morrison last, and just picking the eyes out of the top 10 Victorian prospects.

So what are the chances that Carlton bypass Prespakis and opt for Van De Heuvel? Will she even make it that far? She's exactly what we need from an athletic and skill perspective but footy IQ is a mild concern. Classic case of performance vs potential.

I know there's been something of a honour code with draft zones to this point, but Geelong must be considering picking Morrison last, and just picking the eyes out of the top 10 Victorian prospects.

fwiw, the AFL have indicated that they would 'police' the draft zone rule stringently (without actually indicating what they meant by that in any way).

Carlton is in a very enviable position to take Prespakis, there's no way they should be considering Van De Heuvel despite her 'upside'.

fwiw, the AFL have indicated that they would 'police' the draft zone rule stringently (without actually indicating what they meant by that in any way).

Carlton is in a very enviable position to take Prespakis, there's no way they should be considering Van De Heuvel despite her 'upside'.
We're going to be way too slow for another season if the only pace and skill we're bringing in is a Rugby 7s convert.

We're going to be way too slow for another season if the only pace and skill we're bringing in is a Rugby 7s convert.
What Rugby 7s convert? You dont mean Prespakis do you? Has played since 5 at Auskick, has been a member of the Vic metro squad for 4 years. She is the best pure footballer in the draft, and probably the most skilled. She is reasonably quick, but her accuracy by foot and decision making means Carltons midfield will be considerably quicker at ball movement with her in it. I think she is a good chance to be best and fairest for the year injuries not withstanding.

SVDH might not even be on the board. Cats with Pick 2 a good chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TOP 20 PREDICTION:

#1 Geelong - Nina Morrison
#2 Geelong - Sophie Van De Heuvel
#3 Carlton - Madison Prespakis
#4 Fremantle - Sabreena Duffy
#5 Collingwood - Tyla Hanks
#6 Melbourne - Jordyn Allen

*** Very confident this will be the top 6, just the order might change. Dees want SVDH, but Cats know that and if they want her they have to take her with #2. Duffy the logical first pick for Freo, whereas Pies tossing up between Hanks and Allen (assuming Blues take Prespakis) and Dees take the other. Much like the boys, it's looking pretty settled, but anything can change, even like it did last year with Brayshaw at #2!

#7 Geelong - Jayde Van Dyk - just have a feeling, tough one to pick and don't know if she's picked All of Vic, but where there's smoke, she was in consideration for #1 according to Hawks, so sounds like Cats are keen.

#8 Adelaide - Nikki Gore
#9 Brisbane - Lauren Bella
#10 Western Bulldogs - Mikala Cann
#11 Collingwood - Katie Lynch
#12 GWS - Alyce Parker
#13 Collingwood - Emerson Woods
#14 Geelong - Olivia Purcell
#15 Melbourne - Courtney Jones
#16 Carlton - Abbie McKay
#17 Fremantle - Sonia Dorizzi
#18 Collingwood - Maddy Brancatisano
#19 Collingwood - Daisy Bateman
#20 Geelong - Denby Taylor

What Rugby 7s convert? You dont mean Prespakis do you? Has played since 5 at Auskick, has been a member of the Vic metro squad for 4 years. She is the best pure footballer in the draft, and probably the most skilled. She is reasonably quick, but her accuracy by foot and decision making means Carltons midfield will be considerably quicker at ball movement with her in it. I think she is a good chance to be best and fairest for the year injuries not withstanding.

Our two rookie signings are from the olympic rugby 7s team.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-08-22/blues-sign-aflw-rookies

Chloe Dalton and Brooke Walker have both signed for the Blues after playing Rugby 7s for Australia.
https://thewomensgame.com/news/dalton-and-walker-lined-up-for-2019-aflw-500657

TOP 20 PREDICTION:

#1 Geelong - Nina Morrison
#2 Geelong - Sophie Van De Heuvel
#3 Carlton - Madison Prespakis
#4 Fremantle - Sabreena Duffy
#5 Collingwood - Tyla Hanks
#6 Melbourne - Jordyn Allen

*** Very confident this will be the top 6, just the order might change. Dees want SVDH, but Cats know that and if they want her they have to take her with #2. Duffy the logical first pick for Freo, whereas Pies tossing up between Hanks and Allen (assuming Blues take Prespakis) and Dees take the other. Much like the boys, it's looking pretty settled, but anything can change, even like it did last year with Brayshaw at #2!

#7 Geelong - Jayde Van Dyk - just have a feeling, tough one to pick and don't know if she's picked All of Vic, but where there's smoke, she was in consideration for #1 according to Hawks, so sounds like Cats are keen.

#8 Adelaide - Nikki Gore
#9 Brisbane - Lauren Bella
#10 Western Bulldogs - Mikala Cann
#11 Collingwood - Katie Lynch
#12 GWS - Alyce Parker
#13 Collingwood - Emerson Woods
#14 Geelong - Olivia Purcell
#15 Melbourne - Courtney Jones
#16 Carlton - Abbie McKay
#17 Fremantle - Sonia Dorizzi
#18 Collingwood - Maddy Brancatisano
#19 Collingwood - Daisy Bateman
#20 Geelong - Denby Taylor

'morning Pie 4 Life, looking forward to the draft today as I'm sure you are - thanks as usual for your contributions.

Just on the bolded - what are your thoughts on the AFLW publicly declaring/listing players nominated states/regions?

Can be frustrating for fans (well: me haha) knowing that players are unavailable to some clubs and/or highly likely to go to others, and yet having that information withheld prior to the draft ...
AFL might argue that it adds 'intrigue' .. ?

Van Dyk is an interesting one; I'd like Webster secured for Geelong, but then again if she has nominated Geelong only then it might not be an issue... ah well, only a few hours until all is revealed ...

Last edited:
'morning Pie 4 Life, looking forward to the draft today as I'm sure you are - thanks as usual for your contributions.

Just on the bolded - what are your thoughts on the AFLW publicly declaring/listing players nominated states/regions?

Can be frustrating for fans (well: me haha) knowing that players are unavailable to some clubs and/or highly likely to go to others, and yet having that information withheld prior to the draft ...
AFL might argue that it adds 'intrigue' .. ?

Van Dyk is an interesting one; I'd like Webster secured for Geelong, but then again if she has nominated Geelong only then it might not be an issue... ah well, only a few hours until all is revealed ...
Webster has nominated only Geelong as far as I'm aware. I'm not 100% sure but she was the only that was mentioned with the Falcons trio and Georgia Clarke (who has def nominated Geelong only).

I think the AFLW should publish the lists. I was staggered to see today that Sarah Black didn't know Denby Taylor had picked Geelong only. I knew weeks ago, because of coaches involved with the players, but obviously she doesn't get the lists either.

Webster has nominated only Geelong as far as I'm aware. I'm not 100% sure but she was the only that was mentioned with the Falcons trio and Georgia Clarke (who has def nominated Geelong only).

I think the AFLW should publish the lists. I was staggered to see today that Sarah Black didn't know Denby Taylor had picked Geelong only. I knew weeks ago, because of coaches involved with the players, but obviously she doesn't get the lists either.

Exactly; I agree - I wonder if the AFL is trying to preserve some sense of intrigue on draft day rather than just being transparent about the players nomination decisions?

I think they could actually promote it as a point of difference, with the player's nominations being covered and analysed on the evening of the cut-off date ..

Of course not, as others have already pointed out.

Maddie's biggest problem from a CFC perspective is how many of our best mids have a very similar game style, despite her having the most advanced skillset of all of them.

Van De Heuvel has a running game about 2 years in advance of league standards, and a frame that could fill it to make her an inside/outside mid in the Judd mould.

SVDH might not even be on the board. Cats with Pick 2 a good chance.
Yup, that's my fear.

Of course not, as others have already pointed out.

Maddie's biggest problem from a CFC perspective is how many of our best mids have a very similar game style, despite her having the most advanced skillset of all of them.

Van De Heuvel has a running game about 2 years in advance of league standards, and a frame that could fill it to make her an inside/outside mid in the Judd mould.

Yup, that's my fear.
Sorry mate, just confirmed it. The top three are locked in.

1 - Morrison
2 - Van De Heuvel
3 - Prespakis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back