List Mgmt. 2018 AFLW Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

it's hard to generate any enthusiasm for all of this. Just two years on and almost none of the players that were "us" remain. Instead we are asked to support a new lot. I am very disappointed with the way the AFL has gone about creating the women's comp. All of the enthusiasm that the first few weeks generated are dust, at least for me.

it's hard to generate any enthusiasm for all of this. Just two years on and almost none of the players that were "us" remain. Instead we are asked to support a new lot. I am very disappointed with the way the AFL has gone about creating the women's comp. All of the enthusiasm that the first few weeks generated are dust, at least for me.

AFL are Run by Morons

Hey Pie 4 Life, do you mind giving us your thoughts on our draft.
My excitement for next season has been significantly dampened by Molloy's injury so could use some good news!
Our first three picks are very, very good players.

Allen will play the Molloy role off half-back, lovely kick of the football and can play anywhere. Katie Lynch is that big-bodied midfielder we've been lacking. She's had her injury issues this year but has heaps of upside. Mikala Cann will be one of the quickest players in the comp - she's from an athletics and basketball background so she's quick and agile. Another inside midfielder there.

Lauren Butler is an interesting one - she's a great girl, natural footballer and ticks a lot of boxes. She does not have the excitement/upside of the others, but she's like a Scott Burns type who will just do her role each week whatever you give her, and she can play in multiple positions too.

Shevlin I really liked when I saw her at VFLW this year, another tall midfielder who roams well and finds plenty of the football. Gourlay is one who was highly rated before doing her knee so haven't seen much of her due to this. Then there's the two current Pies and Membrey from the Lions.

We obviously went out of our way to pick up bigger bodies, or players that do not take a backwards step. Cann and Butler are two of the toughest warriors you'll find, and the others are all 170cm+ so they are obviously looking for the bigger bodies/taller players.

I don't think you're going to enjoy the format of this year's AFL Draft then TD!
It was a little disorganised. I'm glad we had multiple people there, because after the top 12 went out for their media, I thought I'd head back in because it was taking a little while and as I did, they were starting to read the next lot of picks! I figured they'd start once the photoshoot was over. Most of the media missed 2/3rds of the draft.

Our first three picks are very, very good players.

Allen will play the Molloy role off half-back, lovely kick of the football and can play anywhere. Katie Lynch is that big-bodied midfielder we've been lacking. She's had her injury issues this year but has heaps of upside. Mikala Cann will be one of the quickest players in the comp - she's from an athletics and basketball background so she's quick and agile. Another inside midfielder there.

Lauren Butler is an interesting one - she's a great girl, natural footballer and ticks a lot of boxes. She does not have the excitement/upside of the others, but she's like a Scott Burns type who will just do her role each week whatever you give her, and she can play in multiple positions too.

Shevlin I really liked when I saw her at VFLW this year, another tall midfielder who roams well and finds plenty of the football. Gourlay is one who was highly rated before doing her knee so haven't seen much of her due to this. Then there's the two current Pies and Membrey from the Lions.

We obviously went out of our way to pick up bigger bodies, or players that do not take a backwards step. Cann and Butler are two of the toughest warriors you'll find, and the others are all 170cm+ so they are obviously looking for the bigger bodies/taller players.

Thanks for this. Like others I'm still reeling from losing so many of our best to North, and Molloy's season ending injury.

But you've given me some hope! Cheers

I don't think you're going to enjoy the format of this year's AFL Draft then TD!

Well they have plenty of Time to get the Info Ready.

Espically Collingwood as we pretty much know our top 2 Picks are anyway

Agree. They need to give clubs the ability to select a core group of players of up to 12 per list and offer these players a bit more to stay. So there is continuity for the fans and of course clubs.

Cant be player swapping one year on. Especially to Collingwoods extreme , where basically all of the top 10 B & F are almost gone.

The landscape of the comp will change as younger players come in hopefully.

Agree. They need to give clubs the ability to select a core group of players of up to 12 per list and offer these players a bit more to stay. So there is continuity for the fans and of course clubs.

Cant be player swapping one year on. Especially to Collingwoods extreme , where basically all of the top 10 B & F are almost gone.

Once expansion teams are in, there won’t be extreme movement. The fact we were heavily targeted this year means chances are we won’t cop it next year. As the league grows in reputation we will be able to provide more incentive to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'll continue to grow both the AFLW TPP and the capacity of clubs to lock in longer tenure for their key players. The continued year on year expansion will always test retention but it'll stabilise eventually.

Biggest issue for me is the draw. If they're going to be fair dinkum about it they need to get over trying to cram it in as an abridged preseason comp.

I think they'll continue to grow both the AFLW TPP and the capacity of clubs to lock in longer tenure for their key players. The continued year on year expansion will always test retention but it'll stabilise eventually.

Biggest issue for me is the draw. If they're going to be fair dinkum about it they need to get over trying to cram it in as an abridged preseason comp.

Agree! I don't get the thinking with why they wont let it continue into the mens season. Take advantage of the mens crowd and play a womens final before a blockbuster match of the mens.

Feel like they are half arseing some of the aspects of the women league , yes its a part time league currently. But don't stuff around with girls picking AFL over Basketball/Netball/Soccer through their teens by making the AFLW seem like a "mickey mouse" league as Daisy Pearce stated.

I understand they cant be paid as much as the mens currently and we are long long way off that, but the smaller aspects like the draw as you highlighted should be such an easy decision.

My niece played three sports this year and has dropped Netball to pursue AFL with Hockey still lingering , purely on the basis of AFLW coming in. The growth would be huge through the junior ranks , the next few years are bloody important if they want to keep this continued growth. They shouldn't stuff around with it.

Concerning when one of the faces of the league even queries some of the decisions at the top.

Agree! I don't get the thinking with why they wont let it continue into the mens season. Take advantage of the mens crowd and play a womens final before a blockbuster match of the mens.

Feel like they are half arseing some of the aspects of the women league , yes its a part time league currently. But don't stuff around with girls picking AFL over Basketball/Netball/Soccer through their teens by making the AFLW seem like a "mickey mouse" league as Daisy Pearce stated.

I understand they cant be paid as much as the mens currently and we are long long way off that, but the smaller aspects like the draw as you highlighted should be such an easy decision.

My niece played three sports this year and has dropped Netball to pursue AFL with Hockey still lingering , purely on the basis of AFLW coming in. The growth would be huge through the junior ranks , the next few years are bloody important if they want to keep this continued growth. They shouldn't stuff around with it.

Concerning when one of the faces of the league even queries some of the decisions at the top.

Probably scared crowds be small and little Viewers on TV with the AFL Regular Season going at Same Time

Probably scared crowds be small and little Viewers on TV with the AFL Regular Season going at Same Time

Yeah that's fair. Idea would be play them as curtain raisers to mens once the mens starts. Gives the girls more crowds and tv viewing , to potentially get more people to follow womens.

Wouldn't be all the womens seasons , but the back end and finals

Yeah that's fair. Idea would be play them as curtain raisers to mens once the mens starts. Gives the girls more crowds and tv viewing , to potentially get more people to follow womens.

Wouldn't be all the womens seasons , but the back end and finals

100% Agree the AFLW Games should be Curtain Raisers to AFL Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back