2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that is piss pour , north have openly targeted our players which is just crap and sorry but the lack of loyalty is disgraceful . Two years development two grand finals and the four run out the door

No depth for the teams we have now and after being rodgered by these expansion clubs it will be a farce !

Very poor girls !

Well that is piss pour , north have openly targeted our players which is just crap and sorry but the lack of loyalty is disgraceful . Two years development two grand finals and the four run out the door

No depth for the teams we have now and after being rodgered by these expansion clubs it will be a farce !

Very poor girls !
It's sad to lose them but I do not in any way believe it is lack of loyalty or piss poor from the girls. They are hardly full time professional, they need to look after their long term future on and off the footy field, from me it's-

Goodbye and good luck for the future girls and thank you for your contribution to the Lions footy club.

Blame the system that has been bought in re player recruitment for the new teams not the players.

It's sad to lose them but I do not in any way believe it is lack of loyalty or piss poor from the girls. They are hardly full time professional, they need to look after their long term future on and off the footy field, from me it's-

Goodbye and good luck for the future girls and thank you for your contribution to the Lions footy club.

Blame the system that has been bought in re player recruitment for the new teams not the players.
Hi Jason I think you may be letting them off easy , this is the real deal not back yard footy , we Carn't just roll over and let expansion teams do with us as they will. We have put good time , money and opportunity into all 4 of them so yes I would expect loyalty and plenty of it, think we need to lift the bar here. But for now Jason we agree too disagree !

Plenty of good local talent coming through, but some very good players have been lost.

I know they wanted to piggy back off the established fanbases of the AFL clubs but they should have introduced new franchises at the start of the AFLW to avoid all these other clubs jumping in wanting a team even though there isn't enough teams. Let it sit at 8 teams for 5-6 years and if there was the fanbase maybe expand then.
NMFC put in a submission for an AFLW team at the same time as Brisbane. NMFC always wanted an AFLW team and for reasons completely unknown to all (except the AFL), Carlton were given an AFLW team instead of North. This was despite the fact that NMFC have been involved in womens football longer than any other AFL club. There is no "jumping in" as such.

NMFC put in a submission for an AFLW team at the same time as Brisbane. NMFC always wanted an AFLW team and for reasons completely unknown to all (except the AFL), Carlton were given an AFLW team instead of North. This was despite the fact that NMFC have been involved in womens football longer than any other AFL club. There is no "jumping in" as such.

Probably because Carlton has a bigger fan base and if it wasn’t so successful there wouldn’t be so many teams putting so much pressure on AFL to expand so quickly.

Probably because Carlton has a bigger fan base and if it wasn’t so successful there wouldn’t be so many teams putting so much pressure on AFL to expand so quickly.
Yes Carlton have a bigger fanbase, but what did they actually do for womens football prior to being given an AFLW team? Both North and Geelong were very disappointed to miss out initially as they both put in very strong submissions (certainly perceived to be a lot stronger than carltons in any case) and were always going to put pressure on the AFL as a result of missing out. Nothing changed as a consequence of the success of the AFLW

Yes Carlton have a bigger fanbase, but what did they actually do for womens football prior to being given an AFLW team? Both North and Geelong were very disappointed to miss out initially as they both put in very strong submissions (certainly perceived to be a lot stronger than carltons in any case) and were always going to put pressure on the AFL as a result of missing out. Nothing changed as a consequence of the success of the AFLW

Did you really come onto this board to have a whinge about having to wait to get a team? Bit pointless and insensitive maybe?

Ok, so let's all agree that North and Geelong wanted a team from the beginning but having made the initial decision that they wouldn't get one that decision should have been stuck with and rather than undermining the initial success of the competition this early on. Cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've picked up Mo Hope as well, maybe out of the spotlight she can perform. Inflated expectations seemed to cruel her at the pies....or she just isn't very good.

I think she just has obviously watched lots of AFL and picked up the mannerisms and this along with dominating weak comps means she's looked like a quality footballer.

Did you really come onto this board to have a whinge about having to wait to get a team? Bit pointless and insensitive maybe?
I posted to correct the incorrect statements made by you. There was no whinging in any of my comments. Just facts.

Clearly you can't stand being corrected so I better be off anyway.

I posted to correct the incorrect statements made by you. There was no whinging in any of my comments. Just facts.

Do you correct every incorrect statement in every thread on this site or just the ones that happen to relate to a topic that's a bit sensitive for you?

Well I finally have an AFLW team to hate. Who would have thought North would be the silvertails of the competition.

North put SO much time into developing their own women's footy brand while missing out on an AFLW team ....but still felt the need to take 4 of ours. Hrrrmm.

Off to Tasmania sweetie?

It was suggested that Ashmore would be a target, but what gripes me is that we lose her for nothing except the concept of feeling happy that the comp is expanding. She would easily be in the top 30 players in the AFLW - I'm really disappointed in how the early days of expansion has gone. Wonder what draft concessions the new clubs get? Won't effect us, but will be interesting to see.

It was suggested that Ashmore would be a target, but what gripes me is that we lose her for nothing except the concept of feeling happy that the comp is expanding. She would easily be in the top 30 players in the AFLW - I'm really disappointed in how the early days of expansion has gone. Wonder what draft concessions the new clubs get? Won't effect us, but will be interesting to see.

None but the draft will be used to compensate those that have lost players.

None but the draft will be used to compensate those that have lost players.
Which means exactly zero to us. We can only draft players who nominate QLD and therefore the Lions anyway. This was part of the fun when Tayla left - we had to trade players because pick 1 or pick 100 means nothing when you're in a draft of 1.

So Melbourne or Collingwood will get a hand, but good ol' Brissie? Nah...

Which means exactly zero to us. We can only draft players who nominate QLD and therefore the Lions anyway. This was part of the fun when Tayla left - we had to trade players because pick 1 or pick 100 means nothing when you're in a draft of 1.

So Melbourne or Collingwood will get a hand, but good ol' Brissie? Nah...

Hilarious inconsistency. But hey, we can take the same players we would have taken anyway earlier in the draft! Hurray!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back