2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Tom14

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who has the tv rights for the tennis?

Maybe they’re worried they’ll have empty grounds if everyone is at the tennis.
Also worth noting that next year is the last year of 7 having the tennis so from 2020 it would be easier to fit in a round or two of AFLW around the end of the ODI season/Big Bash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Who has the tv rights for the tennis?

Maybe they’re worried they’ll have empty grounds if everyone is at the tennis.
Sarcasm? I sometimes have trouble telling.
Because it's well known how all of Australias cities empty out when the tennis is on. So playing the minimum number of games in Melbourne for those 2 weekends wouldn't work.

Ratings for most tennis games are not so high it should have enough of an affect on crowds to matter?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Sarcasm? I sometimes have trouble telling.
Because it's well known how all of Australias cities empty out when the tennis is on. So playing the minimum number of games in Melbourne for those 2 weekends wouldn't work.

Ratings for most tennis games are not so high it should have enough of an affect on crowds to matter?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
No sarcasm. Just guessing why it might clash with 7’s tv commitments.

When do 7 & Fox take over the cricket?

jason pm

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fortitude Valley Diehards. Chelsea.
Its incredible how bad his last fortnight has been. Scarily makes me wish Demetriou was still around.
When David Noble has finished up with us after a couple of flags he would be perfect for the job IMO. Someone who has spent time in the AFL backwaters and experienced it first hand.

jatz14

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
No sarcasm. Just guessing why it might clash with 7’s tv commitments.

When do 7 & Fox take over the cricket?
7 only broadcast one game a week anyway, and how many channels do they have. Even if it clashes, is that reason enough to play a 6 game season? Fox have 2 dedicated footy channels that they cannot squeeze any live footy into?

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is playing AFLW in October-November feasible? Cooler than January and potentially a bigger time window.

Only disadvantage is that it comes after AFL season though so would feel more like a curtain closer rather than curtain raiser to the main season. Hasn't stopped Paralympics going after Olympics though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackess

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is playing AFLW in October-November feasible? Cooler than January and potentially a bigger time window.

Only disadvantage is that it comes after AFL season though so would feel more like a curtain closer rather than curtain raiser to the main season. Hasn't stopped Paralympics going after Olympics though.
Would follow on straight after the state comps with no preseason.

briztoon

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
7 only broadcast one game a week anyway, and how many channels do they have. Even if it clashes, is that reason enough to play a 6 game season? Fox have 2 dedicated footy channels that they cannot squeeze any live footy into?
I'm not arguing against the AFLW or sticking up for the AFLW, my first response in response to a post on why it might the AFL might be behaving the way they are.

Me personally, I want to see the AFLW running parallel to AFL. While there are fewer teams, I'd like to see a home and away series with a finals series. I don't want the girls running around in summer, suffering heat stroke.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
From afar it's been interesting to see how our players have approached the break between AFLW 2.0 and 3.0. From what I can see, some of our girls have only played a handful of state games / winter series games. Wuetschner and Zanchetta are in double figures, but then we have players like McCarthy, Kaslar and Anderson at around half of that. Suggests to me that the Club is looking at individualising the girls' off-seasons further than in previous years.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Moderator #1,750
I know she is well above average height for a woman but are they going to find her an opponent somewhat close to her size to fight at some stage?

I’m not really well versed on boxing, how long does the “build up profile and stats with some easy kills” phase generally last?

Top Bottom