2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

There will be another queensland team coming in pretty soon
To be fair those two are the least of my worries, same with Bates and Zilke. I can see us losing Leah Kaslar who is a GC local.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To be fair those two are the least of my worries, same with Bates and Zilke. I can see us losing Leah Kaslar who is a GC local.

Would have said the same about Randall and the other one that was Queensland and left.

While it's a part time and expanding competition it won't adhere to the same trade rules as the AFL.

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Would have said the same about Randall and the other one that was Queensland and left.

While it's a part time and expanding competition it won't adhere to the same trade rules as the AFL.

I agree. Considerations like where their day job is would have to be factored in, you'd imagine. That said - I think Batesy is a PT, so could easily shift where she works!

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nat Grider named mvp for qld. Kid can play, she has so much time, hopefully she gets picked up this year by the lions.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The AFL introduces new teams but doesn’t want to extend the season.

Doesn’t seem to be as much interest at the AFL expected

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
The AFL introduces new teams but doesn’t want to extend the season.

Doesn’t seem to be as much interest at the AFL expected

Does feel a bit like the same way the AFL treats the minor / expansion clubs. "We're happy to include you, but don't try and take over."

They don't want to start the AFLW before the end of the tennis, but don't want it to interrupt the opening rounds of the men's season. Squashing 10 teams into 8 weeks including finals doesn't feel fair dinkum at all. With more teams coming in, I assumed that we'd just start moving towards a longer season with a view that eventually we'd have a women's comp running parallel to the men's.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And so she should be! The conflicting messages out of AFL House frustrate the fans, I can only imagine how the players feel.

...plus, it doesn't seem like she has a bright future as a boundary rider! ;)

I assume it reflects the level of interest in the game. Perhaps the tv networks and sponsors aren’t keen.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I assume it reflects the level of interest in the game. Perhaps the tv networks and sponsors aren’t keen.
The click bait survey used to bash the AFLW recently said only 40% of fans had an interest, but only 40% of clubs have a team, so interest imop is WAAAAAAY ahead of expectations when the AFLW was started. 40% of fans having an interest in a comp that didnt exist 3 years ago is actually a massive achievement, what percentage would have an interest in AFLX even when played by male AFL players? Criticism that interest of the AFLW is the reason for the AFLs thinking seem to come from the unspoken assumption of comparison to the mens, however interest in the AFLW exceeds any other female domestic sport easily, and they seem to be able to manage more than 6 games. W-league season should consist of a 5 min warm up and a penalty shoot out if they used that logic.

The reality is more like, the AFL despite its words, never really took it seriously, they thought it would look good to start a womens league, then it could putter along in the background without much concern or effort, instead they found themselves drinking from a fire hydrant. When it got to the point of requiring serious effort and commitment, they have tried to shrink it to fit within their expectations of what it would be.

It clearly fell below AFLX and China in their thoughts, but womens footy JUST KEEPS GROWING and the AFL do not know how to deal with it.

In any case, I expect a massive back flip from the AFL here, and fully expect a regular everyone plays each team once fixture. The female players have thus far been noticeable in keeping quiet about criticising the AFL, but not this time. AFL will fold massively.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
And some sponsors have reportedly told clubs that were initially not all that interested in getting a female footy team, that continued support depended on them getting interested.

I would also ask what it is you mean, sponsors not interested? My local footy club has sponsors, I play for a country master rules footy club with maybe 35 players in a good year, and a crowd of a few wives and a 3 legged dog, our best sponsorship year netted us $14000. You can get sponsorship for the back of a junior footy teams jumper, but they are not interested in AFLW? Who is they?

My understanding is, for the number of games and exposure, sponsors are maybe even paying overs for AFLW, as it gets them a feel good factor not present in the regular mens sponsorships, and exposure to a group that maybe isn't reached by their normal sports sponsorship.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it a possibility for the Womens comp to be played over summer , 10 weeks fixtures .
3 weeks of finals?
Cause it sounds like it's all about channel 7 and their demands to spotlght the tennis and not to overlap the mens comp.
Forget the summer comp. idea for a moment , have the girls play the rest of their fixtures and semi finals before the mens games at their respected fields and a stand alone grand final on a Wednesday night.
I'd gladly go early to watch the girls play .
Maybe the Nrl will stick it to these w***ers and show how a womens comp is handled, and don't think if we stuff this up they won't ride that.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Simplest explanation is that AFL house is incompetent and doesn't really care. Its not exactly hard to play a few extra rounds when the tennis is on.
Who has the tv rights for the tennis?

Maybe they’re worried they’ll have empty grounds if everyone is at the tennis.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Simplest explanation is that AFL house is incompetent and doesn't really care. Its not exactly hard to play a few extra rounds when the tennis is on.

A few untelevised rounds?

Back