2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A few untelevised rounds?

If 7 can't do it those first few weeks then I don't see why fox footy wouldn't pick up the couple of extra games - end of January is not exactly busy programming for them. 7 mainly did one game a week with foxtel doing the rest so it wouldn't be a big increase.

Regardless of the commercial viability of it if you are going to have AFLW (which we definitely should) we should respect the players and treat it as a professional game. The idea that you add two teams to the comp but cut out a round is silly.

That's also why the AFL as a tax-exempt organisation shouldn't be solely focused on whether it will do well commercially - they have a responsibility to promote the game and AFLW is a really important part of that.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Who has the tv rights for the tennis?

Maybe they’re worried they’ll have empty grounds if everyone is at the tennis.
Sarcasm? I sometimes have trouble telling.
Because it's well known how all of Australias cities empty out when the tennis is on. So playing the minimum number of games in Melbourne for those 2 weekends wouldn't work.

Ratings for most tennis games are not so high it should have enough of an affect on crowds to matter?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Sarcasm? I sometimes have trouble telling.
Because it's well known how all of Australias cities empty out when the tennis is on. So playing the minimum number of games in Melbourne for those 2 weekends wouldn't work.

Ratings for most tennis games are not so high it should have enough of an affect on crowds to matter?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
No sarcasm. Just guessing why it might clash with 7’s tv commitments.

When do 7 & Fox take over the cricket?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The length of last AFLW season was too long to keep my interest.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Its incredible how bad his last fortnight has been. Scarily makes me wish Demetriou was still around.
When David Noble has finished up with us after a couple of flags he would be perfect for the job IMO. Someone who has spent time in the AFL backwaters and experienced it first hand.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
No sarcasm. Just guessing why it might clash with 7’s tv commitments.

When do 7 & Fox take over the cricket?
7 only broadcast one game a week anyway, and how many channels do they have. Even if it clashes, is that reason enough to play a 6 game season? Fox have 2 dedicated footy channels that they cannot squeeze any live footy into?

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is playing AFLW in October-November feasible? Cooler than January and potentially a bigger time window.

Only disadvantage is that it comes after AFL season though so would feel more like a curtain closer rather than curtain raiser to the main season. Hasn't stopped Paralympics going after Olympics though.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is playing AFLW in October-November feasible? Cooler than January and potentially a bigger time window.

Only disadvantage is that it comes after AFL season though so would feel more like a curtain closer rather than curtain raiser to the main season. Hasn't stopped Paralympics going after Olympics though.

Would follow on straight after the state comps with no preseason.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
7 only broadcast one game a week anyway, and how many channels do they have. Even if it clashes, is that reason enough to play a 6 game season? Fox have 2 dedicated footy channels that they cannot squeeze any live footy into?
I'm not arguing against the AFLW or sticking up for the AFLW, my first response in response to a post on why it might the AFL might be behaving the way they are.

Me personally, I want to see the AFLW running parallel to AFL. While there are fewer teams, I'd like to see a home and away series with a finals series. I don't want the girls running around in summer, suffering heat stroke.

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
From afar it's been interesting to see how our players have approached the break between AFLW 2.0 and 3.0. From what I can see, some of our girls have only played a handful of state games / winter series games. Wuetschner and Zanchetta are in double figures, but then we have players like McCarthy, Kaslar and Anderson at around half of that. Suggests to me that the Club is looking at individualising the girls' off-seasons further than in previous years.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Tayla Harris won in the ring last night, improving her record to 4-0

She has a tattoo on the inside of her lip that says 'straya'. I used to think she was great.

Back