2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad to see we picked up Grider after her stand out season in the WQAFL. Dowdrick nominating us is a boon and a reflection of where we are as a club and of Starcevich. Bella slots in for Randall to back up Lutkins. Tori Groves-Little sounds like an Ashmore replacement. Looking forward to the season (short as it might be).
I saw a lot of Grider at school footy last year, not a high standard, but you can tell the players with a lot of time. Rarely caught.

Gee Starc is impressive.

Speaks well and really knows his players attributes and intimate details of their playing history.

Can totally understand his players giving their all and playing for the coach.

Probably goes a way to explaining how the girls have far exceeded all expectations in their two years in the AFLW.

If I recall correctly, we were widely tipped for the Spoon in our first year and considered unlikely for the Finals in our second. Whilst losing two GF's is gut wrenching, I think we should have enormous pride in what our girls have achieved. Great culture building:thumbsu:

Go Lions!
I remember listening to a podcast interviewing Sam Lane after she had written her book on the birth of the AFLW, Roar. Each chapter was based around a person, players, officials, coaches etc. and used their journeys to tell the story. Only one man was interviewed and had a chapter and that was Starc, and even then Sam had to insist to Starc that he be included as he didn't want to be the man telling women's stories. It is a reflection of the esteem he is held in women's footy circles and I am pretty pleased to see both Brent Staker and Dan Merrett follow down that particular coaching path. They couldn't be learning from anyone better.

Think that's 3 seasons in a row now where we've played 4 away games and 3 home games.
Bit rough I think.

Non Vic teams should get 4 at home given Vic teams will always play a minimum of 4 games in Vic irrespective if it isn’t at their “home” ground.

Bit rough I think.

Non Vic teams should get 4 at home given Vic teams will always play a minimum of 4 games in Vic irrespective if it isn’t at their “home” ground.

Yeah you're spot on.

If we played Collingwood at home in the last round it would have balanced things out more.

It's an inherently unbalanced fixture though. No point losing sleep over it I guess

Very sad that Woosha has said she is deactivating her Instagram account for a while because of all of the negative messages she receives. What kind of person just messages crap like that to people?

Very sad that Woosha has said she is deactivating her Instagram account for a while because of all of the negative messages she receives. What kind of person just messages crap like that to people?
It sounded more like she was spending to much time and to much emotional energy on it. Have followed her for a while, and haven't noticed much in the way of criticism

It sounded more like she was spending to much time and to much emotional energy on it. Have followed her for a while, and haven't noticed much in the way of criticism
Problem is I susp[ect when the 'feedback' comes via stories. One of her stories was lamenting the tone and nature of some posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 new teams coming in in 2020.

Spreading the talent way too thin, too fast.

Without expanding the number of games significantly, you are going to have so many teams who wont even meet in the season. Just really cheapens the whole thing.

Without expanding the number of games significantly, you are going to have so many teams who wont even meet in the season. Just really cheapens the whole thing.

Agree. Too influenced by lobbying from clubs who wanted to be involved and they also want to dilute Queensland talent into two teams.

Shift it to be in line with the AFL season. It’ll lose more money in the short term but give it legitimacy and will be better off in the long run.

4!!! Maybe, Maybe they could have pushed for 2. Total madness, they are just seeing $$$. They need to put this effort into creating a longer and better season first, and a much more stable and secure work environment for the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back