2018 - AFLX

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever you make of the concept,it was torpedoed by the commentary and TV presentation.
Celebration of the vacuous blonk.
Welcome to season 2018.:huh::eek:

The footy was very uncontested , So i find it hard to take anything out of it , Regards the regular season. Commentary was average , That Taylor guy was hopeless Banfield was just called er um Fremantle a couple of times had no idea who he was , And also Luke Ryan became Suttcliffe for 3 possessions or so .

This time for years most clubs were doing training excercises tge are similar to AFLX, and hence why I always thought it would be like watching training live which is great for afl addicts imo

One for Allikat:

DWEHwVDU8AAqyea.jpg

How can we get involved as viewers if the commentators don't call the game and spend the entire time interviewing AFL players about how awesome AFLX is?

Ok rant over

Stefan Giro has potential. I just think we may need to get Dank to inject him at a facility outside the club with roids

Big fan already of Brayshaw

Truly amazing how Pearce still has zero composure and just hacks it long after 10 years in the system. His first kick summed up why he should never play AFL again.
Couldn’t have said it better. A moment is etched in my mind in the final against Sydney where they were storming back in the last. He got the ball in our back line with minutes left and kicked it down the wing to 3 swans players and nearly cost us the final. I’ve never seen an experienced player have so little composure as he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked the look of Giro. On a larger ground can see him zipping around the joint. North started to settle in as well. Also Crowden showed his footskills, although as another poster pointed out, found out he cant bounce off the bigger bodies like he did in the juniors.

Logue was impressive enjoyed his game. Only got to see the first match as I had to go to work.

darn nightshift

Still a sh#t ton better than aflw
Not for me. I'm not a super huge fan of AFLW, but once you get past the lower skill level and lower your standards, it can still be watchable.

AFLX on the otherhand is literally like watching a warmup drill. Kick the ball out to a bloke who has a shot at goal. There's no build up, no intensity, no theatre. Even the scoring system makes no sense. Shorten the field, make it a non challenge to score and then award even more points, except if the ball bounces?

It's a poor mans Big Bash Cricket, which despite being dumbed down to the point it's Baseball more than Cricket, can still be fun to watch people slog sixes. If rhey were banging 70m torps, ok, but kicking a goal from 40m out is just meh.

What makes watching sport fun to watch is the build up and release of tension from contest. In AFLX there is no tension, there is contest, it's watching a training drill where two sides take pot shots at goal.

Watching Auskick is more enjoyable for me.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I liked it. It was kind of like basketball with the "score off"

I think it could be improved by changing the 10m run rule back to 15 and having all marks outside the 40s play on
You can't really allow for longer runs, the field isn't big enough. You need to keep it limited to reduce the chances of of it being a single 'contest' where the guy who marks the kickin goes for a run and has a ping. There's just no interaction.

It'll be fine for a fun game to play in countries which don't have the awareness and interest in AFL, which is what it is ultimately meant for. But there's not enough dimension physically and metaphorically for it to be workable with AFL players.

I actually liked it lol. Did lack a lot of atmosphere though. Interesting that the crowd got a lot more into it in the final when something was on the line.

However it is a bit like rugby 7,s I guess. If you have ever been to one of those tournaments the crowd dress up and get pissed and watch the game every now and again.

I am going to the Sydney one on Saturday so I will let you know what it's actually like when you are there

One think I think is good about it, is that it really emphasizes the skill level. Like Pearce and Grey were so so bad at it. In a game where one small skill mistake hurts you bad it could really help the young guys improve their skill level. I noticed last night, one missed handball and within 3 seconds you have 10 points kicked against you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back