brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The 2018 AIHL Season has kicked off - following a pre-season tournament last weekend, the action started this weekend.

3 matches yesterday with 3 varying results. Canberra beat the Sydney Bears 4-2, the Sydney Ice Dogs beat Newcastle 4-3 in a shootout, while the Melbourne Ice went to town on Adelaide, thrashing them 8-0.

Just the 1 game today to complete the opening weekend, with the Melbourne Mustangs leading Adelaide 1-0 after 1.

WOOHOO!!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...all-cup-in-overtime-epic-20180902-p5019x.html

Canberra Brave win first Goodall Cup in overtime epic
Mark Rummukainen and Dave Lewis won the Goodall Cup for the ACT as a teenagers in 1998 and on Sunday their two-decade wait finally ended, while veteran Jordie Gavin gets to retire a champion.

Lewis played alongside his 19-year-old son Jayden this season and they became the first father-son duo to lift the Goodall Cup - on Father's Day no less.

AIHL
Canberra Brave skipper ready for championship 20 years in the making
The puck dropped and the Brave were in control immediately, with the ACT men storming out of the blocks and netting two goals in the opening 10 minutes.

Tyler Kubara was first on the board thanks to some individual brilliance after five minutes, before Joey Hughes snuck one home from close range.

Canberra took the lead into the first break but Sydney came out firing in the second stanza and skipper Michael Schlamp found their opener after tapping home a blocked long-range shot from Graeme Strukoff.

Bears defenceman Tyerell Clare then slapped home from distance with six minutes to play in the period and a phenomenal solo effort from Ryan Lough gave Sydney the lead at the final change.

In the final period Canberra were a team possessed searching for the equaliser and the sustained pressure was rewarded when Chris Leveille knocked in an assist from Wehebe Darge with 15 minutes to play.

A tense final period led to overtime and when Gurling's shot rocketed into the back of the net, the helmets flew and history was made.

"I’m feeling great, the guys are loving it, the fans are into it and we’re just having a great time right now," Gurling said.

"That was the first overtime game our team has been to this season and I think we really stepped up to the challenge and came away with the win."

The Brave had a strong and boisterous contingent of travelling fans, who drew praise from six-time Cup winner Hughes.

"Every Cup I've won has significance, but watching these guys pull the Cup up and sharing it... and look at the fans, they're so passionate and it's just so great to share it with them," Hughes said.

"Credit to Sydney and they came out, played a tough game and battled hard, but we really wanted it."

AUSTRALIAN ICE HOCKEY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL

Canberra Brave 4 bt Sydney Bears 3

I didn't know there was a AIHL thread, I would have posted a few more times.
Canberra had an amazing season this year and thoroughly deserved their title.
Canberra desperately needs a new stadium, our Woden stadium is too small, too cold and too old to host finals and it would have been great to have seen the final played at home.

Only found out about this league about 2-3 months ago, great final and was great watching the game on YouTube,definitely considering memberships for the family next season,Women's league starts soon too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back