Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The discrepancy I see is several decades of football being the one main sport in Brazil against it having to compete with many others in Australia in that time

Brazil as we all know is arguably the greatest nation in history to play the game and it's part of not just their sporting identity but their national identity as a whole; whilst we are still well and truly finding our own identity.
I doubt we'll ever be a superpower in world football but have every faith the game will continue to grow and develop from grassroots upwards, of course depending on how well the national management goes in the next couple of decades

It's only a friendly and we don't lose anything after tonight, nor did Brazil win anything. It's of course not a desirable result but we have far more important things to look forward too and work towards

The scoreline was obviously not ideal tonight.

But does anyone really care? That was even lower on the totem pole than a "friendly" - that was an exhibition match, and nothing more.

I don't think we can take a lot out of it, but I don't think we needed to. We got minutes into more players, and crucially we got more minutes in this formation. Whether or not we go with it for the Confederations Cup and beyond I don't know, but regardless of the scoreline I think tonight was still a worthwhile exercise.

I'm still pretty friggen glad I didn't go.

Can I just say too, how much I enjoy listening to Cahill talk about the game and squad. He is always spot on the money with his observations and his positivity about his fellow teammates and our goals as a nation. I'd love to see him continue in football in a coaching capacity, especially at junior level. The lids could learn a bucket load from him

giphy.gif

Tonight's score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the crowd was pretty decent in the end.

Brazil just too clever in close. But it's a good barometer of where we are at...in 2003 we beat them and in 2006 outplayed them for large periods of the game. Last two times we have played them aggregate score is 10-0.

Now it's nowhere near the final days of Holger bad, but the lack of technical quality in the squad shone tonight, especially with Mooy and Rogic on the pine until junk time. Kruse and Leckie are quick but sporadic with quality and the defense is slow and uncomfortable on the ball.

Really worried about what Germany will do to us next week.

Yeah the crowd was pretty decent in the end.

Brazil just too clever in close. But it's a good barometer of where we are at...in 2003 we beat them and in 2006 outplayed them for large periods of the game. Last two times we have played them aggregate score is 10-0.

Now it's nowhere near the final days of Holger bad, but the lack of technical quality in the squad shone tonight, especially with Mooy and Rogic on the pine until junk time. Kruse and Leckie are quick but sporadic with quality and the defense is slow and uncomfortable on the ball.

Really worried about what Germany will do to us next week.
We are fast approaching the shitness of the Holger era IMO.

Nothing coming through the ranks either.

With a Japan draw against Iraq, the group is tighter than a nun's nasty.
If Japan gets 2 draws in the last two games and Saudi Arabia and Australia get 4 points from the last 2 games than Japan will miss out on a direct spot.

With a Japan draw against Iraq, the group is tighter than a nun's nasty.
If Japan gets 2 draws in the last two games and Saudi Arabia and Australia get 4 points from the last 2 games than Japan will miss out on a direct spot.
Pretty sure the Saudis and Japan play each other last round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back