Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the game this morning?

Were the Tillies amazing? Were Brazil just s**t and disinterested?

It's an amazing turnaround from the Olympics last year where we were really hanging onto the draw that sent it to penalties despite Brazil dominating.

Did anyone get a chance to watch the game this morning?

Were the Tillies amazing? Were Brazil just s**t and disinterested?

It's an amazing turnaround from the Olympics last year where we were really hanging onto the draw that sent it to penalties despite Brazil dominating.
Bit of both.

Brazil took the lead early but then we just went berserk. They didn't have their best side on the park but even so, if they did im not sure it would have matter.

If we manage to win our next two qualifiers, not only will we qualify for the world cup, but will also likely receive a ranking of around 35-37 sort of range. I think that is a lot more accurate representation of where we are at compared to where we are now. Will also allow more players like Milligan to join clubs due to work permit issues as well. I think we are starting to build a reputation at the moment. OSme good signings for the A-League, Mooy and Ryan in the premier league, both starting and both with large transfer fees, and also our performance at the confeds cup. Now we just need our clubs to be a lot more sucessful in the champions league and we will start to become a more feared opponent in my opinion.

That post is far too positive for a vast majority of the posters on here. The Chinese super league drain won't be a long term issue. Those sides will not be able to sustain that kind of pay so we won't keep losing players to there.

If we manage to win our next two qualifiers, not only will we qualify for the world cup, but will also likely receive a ranking of around 35-37 sort of range. I think that is a lot more accurate representation of where we are at compared to where we are now. Will also allow more players like Milligan to join clubs due to work permit issues as well. I think we are starting to build a reputation at the moment. OSme good signings for the A-League, Mooy and Ryan in the premier league, both starting and both with large transfer fees, and also our performance at the confeds cup. Now we just need our clubs to be a lot more sucessful in the champions league and we will start to become a more feared opponent in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the ranking/UK Visa thing relies on an average over a certain period (maybe 4 years?)

We were inside the top 50, as required, when Palace were talking to Milligan, but our average over whatever the timeframe is wasn't good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure the ranking/UK Visa thing relies on an average over a certain period (maybe 4 years?)

We were inside the top 50, as required, when Palace were talking to Milligan, but our average over whatever the timeframe is wasn't good enough.
I believe we were very close however, so the 8 or so spots we move up might juat tip us over.

I believe we were very close however, so the 8 or so spots we move up might juat tip us over.

Ah, I see what you mean - yeah, hopefully you're right. It'll get more interesting/important over the next few years too, cos with Brexit it doesn't look as though having a parent with a European passport (thus making the player eligible) is going to be enough to qualify you for a visa.

It might be interesting to see over the next few years if England is still the "holy grail" of leagues for most Australian players/fans.

I've always found the visa situation very confusing

Initial 30 man squad has been announced.

GOALKEEPERS: Mathew Ryan, Mitchell Langerak, Danny Vukovic, Adam Federici

DEFENCE: Milos Degenek, Alex Gersbach, Brad Smith, Aziz Behich, Bailey Wright, Ryan McGowan, Trent Sainsbury, Matt Jurman, Matthew Spiranovic

MIDFIELD: Mark Milligan, Mile Jedinak, Aaron Mooy, James Troisi, James Jeggo, Ajdin Hrustic, Massimo Luongo, Jackson Irvine, Tom Rogic, Robbie Kruse, Mathew Leckie, Riley McGree, Mustafa Amini

ATTACK: Tim Cahill, Tomi Juric, Jamie Maclaren, Awer Mabil

Mabil is an interesting one. Can't see Jedinak recovering in time. Federici should be shot in to the sun.

I know he's been an icon of Australian football during it's most popular and successful opinion.

But it's been a bloody long time since someone got as much of a free ride into these squads as Cahill is currently getting.

I know he's been an icon of Australian football during it's most popular and successful opinion.

But it's been a bloody long time since someone got as much of a free ride into these squads as Cahill is currently getting.

I agree but I don't mind too much since he is mainly getting cameos off the bench.

Don't be fooled, he's probably 4th picked only after Jedinak (when fit), Ryan and Mooy.

And that is sad

Don't be fooled, he's probably 4th picked only after Jedinak (when fit), Ryan and Mooy.

And that is sad

I don't quite agree that we're going that badly! Sainsbury & Rogic would surely be picked ahead of him. Milligan is dependable and a favourite of Ange's, so I think he'd be ahead of Cahill. Given he's been starting, I'd have to imagine that Juric is ahead of him as well.

It's all moot though. We'll never know, and I'm not sure that any national team manager lists them "draft order style" anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back