Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
A potentially tough group, definitely the most difficult we've had so far in the final WC group stage in Asia. Hopefully Iraq and UAE won't worry us too much, but Japan and Saudi Arabia (probably to a lesser extent) will be a decent challenge. If we qualify, we'll have really earnt it IMO. The other group is potentially easier with potentially only China challenging Iran and Korea for a top 2 spot.
If we somehow finish 3rd and win against China/Qatar/Uzbekistan, the good thing is that the final playoff tie will be against the 4th place North American team rather than the 5th place South American team, which would've be much more difficult

Last edited:
Hey NUFC Tiger, did you edit the topic title? Then may I suggest that you should walk on then? Lol.

Of course it's Japan, it's never truly an Asian competition without them.

I'm feeling a bit conflicted at the moment, because I want Okaz-err, I mean, Japan and Thailand to do very well in qualifying. Of course I want the Aussies to qualify, but I will be keeping an eye on both team and player in this round. (If anyone's going to Thailand, please gauge how big we're are there!)

I had nothing to do with that mate. :p

Here's hoping there's no Okazaki funny business when the Caltex Socceroos (still sounds weird) pay the Blue Samurai a visit eh? ;)

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
We should get through easily.
Japan will be tough as usual but after that the quality drops right off. Hopefully we get a strong ref against the Saudi's and he doesn't get sucked in to their blatant cheating and stalling tactics. Over here we will trounce them as they are pretty ordinary. Iraq are a bit of the unknown for me and UAE are nothing special. As for Thailand I'd be shocked if they manage a point in qualifying, will be the whipping boys of the group. Should easily finish top 2 and probably with games to spare

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
When I see what NZ has to do in order to qualify (which by the way is totally unreasonable), so glad that we are in Asia.
Qualifying campaign of 18 games across 2 years, means they become a real team instead of 11 guys just thrown together.

Australia and Japan will assist each other in taking as many points as possible away from the other 4 teams. And then if Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iraq draw with each other will only help us more.

Arguably the two most important games of the 10, away to UAE and Saudi Arabia, are the 2nd and 3rd so we won't have to wait long to see how we're travelling.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
We should get through easily.
Japan will be tough as usual but after that the quality drops right off. Hopefully we get a strong ref against the Saudi's and he doesn't get sucked in to their blatant cheating and stalling tactics. Over here we will trounce them as they are pretty ordinary. Iraq are a bit of the unknown for me and UAE are nothing special. As for Thailand I'd be shocked if they manage a point in qualifying, will be the whipping boys of the group. Should easily finish top 2 and probably with games to spare

I reckon you're grossly underestimating our group.

The UAE finished 3rd in the Asian Cup 15 months ago, and beat Japan to get to the semis; Iraq finished 4th in that tournament after beating Iran to get to the semis. That's some pretty good recent pedigree. In the case of Iraq, they've also proved a massive pothole for us at national and Olyroo level since we've joined Asia.

If you respect UAE's Asian Cup form, you have to respect that the Saudis had a win and a draw against the UAE in the previous round of qualifying.

And on top of all of that, there are no back-to-back home matches for the Socceroos. Where we play 2 matches in the one international window, in some cases we're flying from the Middle East to Australia in between games. As someone who struggles with international flights, I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to back up and play a game of football 2-3 days later.

Of course we should qualify out of this group. But calling the group "ordinary" underrates the group, and saying UAE are "nothing special" suggests you probably didn't watch their Asian Cup quarter final against Japan last year. They were absolutely special that night.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
When I see what NZ has to do in order to qualify (which by the way is totally unreasonable), so glad that we are in Asia.
Qualifying campaign of 18 games across 2 years, means they become a real team instead of 11 guys just thrown together.

Australia and Japan will assist each other in taking as many points as possible away from the other 4 teams. And then if Saudi Arabia, UAE and Iraq draw with each other will only help us more.

Arguably the two most important games of the 10, away to UAE and Saudi Arabia, are the 2nd and 3rd so we won't have to wait long to see how we're travelling.
Can't remember where (maybe a podcast, Outside 90 or something), but I recently heard that there's a push to expand Asia and divide it up into regions and the SE region will incorporate Oceania. Seems like a no brainer for NZ.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Can't remember where (maybe a podcast, Outside 90 or something), but I recently heard that there's a push to expand Asia and divide it up into regions and the SE region will incorporate Oceania. Seems like a no brainer for NZ.
So like one 'Asian' team from each Asian zone? North, south, east, west.... if that ment we only had to play Oceania teams plus NZL and finish top to qualify we'd make the world cup 9/10 times

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
So like one 'Asian' team from each Asian zone? North, south, east, west.... if that ment we only had to play Oceania teams plus NZL and finish top to qualify we'd make the world cup 9/10 times

No, the idea - and it's one that's been around for the 10 years that we've been in Asia - is simply to split the confederation into east and west.

The issues are that the eastern countries like their exposure in the western countries; the western countries would be worse off than eastern in terms of WC qualifying spots (cos there's a higher standard of NTs in the east); and Oceania don't want to go by the wayside.

I don't see it happening any time soon. If it was going to happen, it would've happened by now I think.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,

The UAE finished 3rd in the Asian Cup 15 months ago, and beat Japan to get to the semis; Iraq finished 4th in that tournament after beating Iran to get to the semis. That's some pretty good recent pedigree. In the case of Iraq, they've also proved a massive pothole for us at national and Olyroo level since we've joined Asia.

If you respect UAE's Asian Cup form, you have to respect that the Saudis had a win and a draw against the UAE in the previous round of qualifying.

And on top of all of that, there are no back-to-back home matches for the Socceroos. Where we play 2 matches in the one international window, in some cases we're flying from the Middle East to Australia in between games. As someone who struggles with international flights, I can't begin to imagine how difficult it is to back up and play a game of football 2-3 days later.

Of course we should qualify out of this group. But calling the group "ordinary" underrates the group, and saying UAE are "nothing special" suggests you probably didn't watch their Asian Cup quarter final against Japan last year. They were absolutely special that night.
They were fantastic in the Asian Cup against Japan but I still don't rate them and reckon they will get found out in this group. I'd be surprised if they took a point of us or Japan. We should get through no problems

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos

Also referring to Saudis as always cheating etc shows they haven't watched much of them too.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
We'll win all our home matches. Lose to Japan away, Saudis away, but either win or draw against UAE/Iraq.

Should be enough for 3rd at the VERY worst. We made second last campaign with a 3-4-1 record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dvas987

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2011
Pyongyang
AFL Club
Carlton
I can't see us getting points in Jeddah or Abu Dhabi when it's one of the hottest times of the year. Just my opinion

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Would likely be at our expense and really we didn't put it beyond doubt with the lowish crowd and ordinary pitch.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
If we were to get one we will probably get Thailand or the UAE. Hopefully they are having 1 in each mainland state capital.

I don't think they can - the FFA deal with the NSW government is convoluted, but I think at least 2 of them have to be in Sydney.

I don't know how they go about planning that, especially when the NSW Govt are reportedly blowing up deluxe at the rumours of Australia vs Japan at the MCG, apparently thinking it was "outside the spirit" of the agreement - come off it dickheads, are we children? You don't get to whinge cos you signed a crap contract.

Knowing that the pitch is going to be a piece of s**t, do you put good teams there and try and "drag them down"? Or, fearing how much the shitty pitches "drag us down", do you put shitty opponents in Sydney?

Of course, the other benefit of putting shitty opponents in Sydney is the ability to say "well fix your ******* pitches then!"

May 2, 2011
MacDonald Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, CDFC, MUFC, Redbacks
Would likely be at our expense and really we didn't put it beyond doubt with the lowish crowd and ordinary pitch.
35k was a great turnout against a country most had never heard of before, yet the Jordan game only got about 24k in Sydney. All the 5 major cities in Australia should get a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back