Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on.
We simply aren't produce enough quality talent and as we have seen in the ACL aswell Aussie sides have dropped off the ball. Still think soccer doesn't get enough funding in this country but that's for another day
Last time I checked (2013) Sport in general got way too much of the federal budget. Soccer no exception. IMHO it probably hasn't changed and still gets too much.

We'll win our 3 home games easily. Middle east teams suck outside of the middle east, and Thailand are Thailand. The big concern is Japan away. The UAE did beat them over there not long ago though.

Shocking pitch last night, which hampered the ability of our ball players to play the way we wanted. Lucky to get away with a draw but we did so and should be thankful.

We need to solve the striker problem, we simply can't go much further with who we have

Last time I checked (2013) Sport in general got way too much of the federal budget. Soccer no exception. IMHO it probably hasn't changed and still gets too much.
I'm not sure it ever gets 'too much but that's an argument for another day......

We don't have the cattle these days and we have to work out why.

I'm not sure it ever gets 'too much but that's an argument for another day......

We don't have the cattle these days and we have to work out why.
It does. 90% of the Sport and Recreation department budget (taking away paying staff etc) is put into elite sport and it is far too much. Instead of investing in ways of making sure people in Australia are active it goes to paying the Olympic swimmers more as an example. There is far too much funding into elite sport in Australia.

It does. 90% of the Sport and Recreation department budget (taking away paying staff etc) is put into elite sport and it is far too much. Instead of investing in ways of making sure people in Australia are active it goes to paying the Olympic swimmers more as an example. There is far too much funding into elite sport in Australia.
I'm currently studying stuff along those lines at uni (being the oldest bloke in the class by a decade sucks!!!), and it does make for interesting reading.

FWIW I agree with you, but statistically it's not quite as simple as that.

Playing the same players doesn't help the cause. Kruse really is pretty poor for Australia and hardly tracks back to defend. Goodwin should definitely be starting ahead of him. But biggest qualm is with Jedinak. He's not the player he was and slows down the midfield. Time to overhaul that area and let Luongo take his position with Mooy and Irvine ahead of him.
We just need to play a flat 4 in defence and enough of these wing-backs.

I think I've defended Postecoglou more than most - including just in the last couple of days - cos I think the Asian Cup win would bring/has brought him some grace going forward.

But holy s**t, after 2 disastrous away draws and the home draw to Japan, I really think the drums are going to start beating for Ange if we can't get all 3 points on Tuesday night.

Even if the heat doesn't come on Wednesday, it's going to come quick, and it's going to come hard when it does happen, cos it'll happen at a point when WC qualification is in serious jeopardy.

We'll win our 3 home games easily. Middle east teams suck outside of the middle east, and Thailand are Thailand. The big concern is Japan away. The UAE did beat them over there not long ago though.

Assuming we win the 3 home games we still may need to get a result in Japan. Even a draw.

You can be on Real Madrid or Barcelona but it means jack s**t if you don't play.

Some of those quoted in the early 00's didnt play a whole heap either.

Smith has played in the EPL this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on current form, surely Santalab is a better option up forward than anyone else? We cant just be looking to the future if it means missing out on the WC!!!
I have wondered that in recent weeks. He's in super form and should be in calculations

Must get all three points from tonights game to stay in touch with the Saudis and Japan

I didn't mind the 'interesting' formation from the Iraq match. Clearly Ange was trying to go with a different approach, but was trying something new in a game like that wise? Probably not in hindsight.

For tonight I'd like to see us go back to a 4-2-3-1 sort of setup

Also like to see Langerak keep his spot. Was just about our best player with some outstanding saves. Tough on Matt Ryan but Mitch is in great form.

Full backs (Degenek and Smith) to provide the width going forward with Sainsbury and Wright/Williams/Milligan playing centre half

Jedinak/Milligan to be the defensive midfield cover for when a fullback/s go forward with Luongo being the 'deeper' of the other 4 midfielders. Mooy and Irvine keep their spots and Troisi comes in to provide another attacking element. He is in magnificent club form. These three all to play more centrally, only playing wide to support the marauding full back. Three 'attacking' midfielders will hopefully bring about many goal scoring opportunites.

Which is where Timmy comes in. We need goals so no better man than Cahill to lead the line

Hopefully the boys bounce back from the disappointing draw and take all three points

I find it was we still rely on him for goals

Win, and win well.. Get the goal early and just shut up UAE. Seriously. Time for a win and no more of this draw rubbish.

Japan almost certain to beat Thailand. Saudis could get a draw against Iraq (we hope..).

Lose and we would almost be cast into the 3rd place playoff.

If we don't get the 3 points tonight then we can just about kiss goodbye automatic qualification spots (unless the Saudis also slip up against Iraq). A win would also keep the UAE at bay meaning we should make at least the play-offs. The Adelaide game against the Saudis is also critical.

If we don't get the 3 points tonight then we can just about kiss goodbye automatic qualification spots (unless the Saudis also slip up against Iraq). A win would also keep the UAE at bay meaning we should make at least the play-offs. The Adelaide game against the Saudis is also critical.
Got my tickets for that in the mail today, super keen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back