ATP 2018 ATP Finals

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll just predict that Djokovic wins. Therefore, this is where the best players stand:

top-tennis-playersJPG.JPG

One thing I won't miss once fed retires, are his casual fans. In the states they are shocking and seems like London is not far behind.

Me too, I won't miss the casual Federer fans that expect him to win all the time. It reminded me of the Serena v Osaka US final, Zverev apologising to the crowd today.

I liked the interviewer, telling the crowd to stop booing.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
“Booing, I never like it. We see it in other sports all the time, but in tennis it’s rare.

“So when it happens, it gets very personal and we take it very direct. I think it’s unfortunate that this happened. Sascha doesn’t deserve it.

“He apologised to me at the net. I was like, ‘Buddy, shut up! You don’t need to apologise to me here. Congratulations on a great match and a great tournament so far.’"

Onya Fed.

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
I cannot believe they booed Zverev over that. Some absoulte *s attending the tennis these days. Good to see an interviewer with balls unlike the psychofants after the Williams bullshit display.

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone prepares to say that Nadal won’t win the French? Could Novak continue his hot form into the Northern Summer?

Even though the big 3 have all won a heap of slams, Djokovic is probably the only one capable of winning all 4 slams twice. I think only Laver has done that.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Anyone prepares to say that Nadal won’t win the French? Could Novak continue his hot form into the Northern Summer?

Even though the big 3 have all won a heap of slams, Djokovic is probably the only one capable of winning all 4 slams twice. I think only Laver has done that.

If Nadal is healthy I'm not picking against him for the French.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
4th time Cilic has finished top 10 (and 8th time finished top 15).

3rd time Federer has finished year end no.3 (2011 & 2015).

3rd consecutive year for Thiem in the top 8.

I believe Kevin Anderson at no.6 has also achieved the best year-end ranking for a South African male. Kevin Curren in 1983 (before becoming American) and Ferreira in 1995 both finished no.9.

Federer hadn't won a Slam Title at Zverev's age either, so again two top 5 finishes, 3 masters and a world tour finals victory by the age of 21 is hugely impressive.
Federer was 21 when he won his first slam title (2003 Wimbledon).

Nadal and Djokovic also won their first slams at a younger age. Take the big 3 away, you have del Porto who beat Federer at the USO in 2009 when he was 21.

The guy can win all the master 1000s and WTF titles he wants, but if he keeps on collapsing in the early rounds of slam tournaments (like in this year's AO), then it really isn't going to matter much.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
For some perspective:

Safin won 8 titles by 21, including 2 Masters and a Slam
Hewitt won his 13th title the week after he turned 21, had 0 masters but a Slam and YEC. Won his first Masters the following month.
JCF won his 2nd title a few weeks after turning 21.
Roddick turned 21 during his 11th title (his slam, won a few days afterwards). This capped a rare NA sweep.
Zverev won 6 titles by 21 (April), including 2 Masters.

Still, only 1 of his last 10 finals has been at 250 level, so whilst he might struggle with the 2 week BO5 format for now, his 500/1000 record is decent. 10 titles whilst still 21 is enviable pace.

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Federer was 21 when he won his first slam title (2003 Wimbledon).

Nadal and Djokovic also won their first slams at a younger age. Take the big 3 away, you have del Porto who beat Federer at the USO in 2009 when he was 21.

The guy can win all the master 1000s and WTF titles he wants, but if he keeps on collapsing in the early rounds of slam tournaments (like in this year's AO), then it really isn't going to matter much.

Yep he was 21 and 11 months, which is what Zverev will be in March 2019. I'm not saying this guy will be anything like the big 3 though as that would be stupidity, just saying he has done a hell of a lot more than any other young player currently on the tour.

Back