ATP 2018 ATP Tour - 250/500

Remove this Banner Ad

was expecting him to bomb out 1st round this week with the amount of points to defend, so a 3 set loss in the 3rd round to Delpo is almost a positive sadly enough, my expectations with him are non-existent at the moment, drops down to 30 in the rankings so means he will get a high seed in the 3rd round in New York (again, if he gets that far...)

I think Federer is going for his 8th Cincinnati title. Djokovic is going for his first and if he wins, he will be the first person to have won all masters series titles.

I think Federer is going for his 8th Cincinnati title. Djokovic is going for his first and if he wins, he will be the first person to have won all masters series titles.
Lendl won all 9 way back when. Djokovic would be the second to get there, still an incredible achievement.

There was no Paris masters then, so djokovic would be the first to complete the full set including Paris.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Era_tennis_records_–_men's_singles#Career_totals_3

Wikipedia (I know...) credits him with all 9 event slots. Seems like the Grand Prix series chopped and changed a lot in what it considered its Super Series each year so sometimes there were more than 9 a season and sometimes less. Comparing apples and oranges a bit I suppose. Djokovic would certainly be the first since it became the Masters series and had 9 fixed slots per year.

Either way I'll be happy here.

Nole's luckless run here is well-storied, including 5 previous final losses. Gives him the career slam and masters set.

Federer hasn't won a 2018 Masters yet and would also move to 99 career singles titles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Federer might finally be done winning big titles (masters and up). Seems strange to say after making the Cincinnati final (though it's his best Masters event) ... but his ground game has really declined compared to last year. He's 37 now, Djokovic is well and truly back, Nadal is in top form, younger players are looming (just joking). It's hard to see Roger having yet another resurgence. That said, I'd be less surprised to see him win this US Open than I was to see him win the 2017 Australian Open. But it's a long shot. I just hope he can at least get to 100 career titles.

Youzhny has also been struggling towards the 500 win milestone all season, I suspect he'll be tempted to call it a day if and when he finally achieves that milestone (maybe at the Russian tournaments later in the season).

It turns out that Mikhail Youzhny is retiring at St. Petersburg next month. That leaves him only 2 possible tournaments (US Open the other) to find 2 ATP victories, and take his career wins tally from 498 to 500. Sadly, suspect he'll fall short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Era_tennis_records_–_men's_singles#Career_totals_3

Wikipedia (I know...) credits him with all 9 event slots. Seems like the Grand Prix series chopped and changed a lot in what it considered its Super Series each year so sometimes there were more than 9 a season and sometimes less. Comparing apples and oranges a bit I suppose. Djokovic would certainly be the first since it became the Masters series and had 9 fixed slots per year.

How about Hamburg when that was a Masters Series event up until 2008? Djokovic never won that.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone able to watch the match? I had to be at work unfortunately.

How about Hamburg when that was a Masters Series event up until 2008? Djokovic never won that.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Considered the same Masters event for these purposes as Madrid because that's essentially what it switched to. Old Madrid then became Shanghai.

9 master events....that seems excessive.

Anyway, great that Nole has rebuilt his career. No more what if's. No doubt now that he is an all-time great.

I would be careful at ruling out Fed. He will be a chance on a quick Hardcourt and grass.
Yes, it seems that any time Fed/Nadal/Joker go a few months without winning a big event they get written off. And time and time again they have come back.

Yes, it seems that any time Fed/Nadal/Joker go a few months without winning a big event they get written off. And time and time again they have come back.
Yep. I learnt that champions are always a threat. Even Serena is still a threat despite everything.

But it is a bit silly writing off Fed right now. He has made 2 masters finals(IW and Cinci) and has WON a grand slam in Australia. He really should have made the final at Wimbledon as well as he was 2 sets and would have probably beaten Isner.

Settle on people. That is a great year an anyones book.

You can only defy biology for so long. Sooner or later Fed's body and his skill-set isn't going to cut it.

Federer was quite incredible in 2017, I think he's a fair way off that level in 2018. But he's still good enough to make a run at another slam, especially if he gets a good draw, which is entirely possible as the 2nd seed.

Ranking Update

Gains

Thiem (+1) - 7
Verdasco (+1) - 28
Simon (+10) - 29
Millman (+1) - 36
Ebden (+1) - 47
Klizan (+16) - 49
Jaziri (+7) - 63
Wawrinka (+13) - 75
Delbonis (+10) - 91

Losses