ATP 2018 ATP Tour - 250/500

Remove this Banner Ad

With the Eagles in the Grand Final this past week, I paid no attention to whatever tournaments were going on (seldom ever happens for an entire week).

Then this morning I checked out the results from the Chinese 250s and was shocked to see Tomic had won. 7 straight wins, no longer requires Qualifying for majority of tournaments, hats off to him! So rapt! Has won titles against Anderson, Karlovic, Mannarino and Fognini, so no easybeats, even if the 4 titles have come from vulturing weak 250s. Tomic when on song (when clutch) is just about my favourite player (with Ferrer retiring), so if he can rediscover some top 50 consistency he might end up being my favourite current player (for at least a period). Given where his career was languishing less than a year ago, a title is an achievement, no matter which way you look at it, and won through Qualifying enhances the achievement.

De Minaur getting another SF is also cool. If he didn't have to defend his Brisbane SF, and the 32 seeds had been kept, he would probably be seeded come AO. Well done to Yoshihito as well, must have had some difficult moments since that early career ACL.

Last edited:
De Minaur getting another SF is also cool. If he didn't have to defend his Brisbane SF, and the 32 seeds had been kept, he would probably be seeded come AO. Well done to Yoshihito as well, must have had some difficult moments since that early career ACL.
Well, it is your lucky day
https://tennismash.com/2018/09/14/grand-slams-32-seeds-2019/

As for Tomic, I saw his form was improving but I didn't see this coming. He did win the Nadal open last month after all but wow.

It is great that he seems to enjoy his life a lot more. Who knew that reality TV show would be the thing which got him going again.

Well, it is your lucky day
https://tennismash.com/2018/09/14/grand-slams-32-seeds-2019/

As for Tomic, I saw his form was improving but I didn't see this coming. He did win the Nadal open last month after all but wow.

It is great that he seems to enjoy his life a lot more. Who knew that reality TV show would be the thing which got him going again.
Good news for our many Aussies within seeding striking distance, although personally I'm more of a fan of the 16 seed system.

With Tomic it's more about continuity in his frame of mind. If he raced up to top 25 and then had plummeted to the depths of the top 100 again with 24 months (without injury excuse), it's really the same old with him. Fingers crossed that his late 20s is akin to many others of that age this decade.

With the Eagles in the Grand Final this past week, I paid no attention to whatever tournaments were going on (seldom ever happens for an entire week).

Then this morning I checked out the results from the Chinese 250s and was shocked to see Tomic had won. 7 straight wins, no longer requires Qualifying for majority of tournaments, hats off to him! So rapt! Has won titles against Anderson, Karlovic, Mannarino and Fognini, so no easybeats, even if the 4 titles have come from vulturing weak 250s. Tomic when on song (when clutch) is just about my favourite player (with Ferrer retiring), so if he can rediscover some top 50 consistency he might end up being my favourite current player (for at least a period). Given where his career was languishing less than a year ago, a title is an achievement, no matter which way you look at it, and won through Qualifying enhances the achievement.

Apparently they are being kept now.

Rises:

Millman (+1) - 35
de Minaur (+2) - 38
Sousa (+7) - 43
Herbert (+14) - 53
Bedene (+14) - 64
Tomic (+47) - 76 - Yay
Kubler (+1) - 92
Nishioka (+76) - 95
Mmoh (+12) - 96

Falls:

Ebden (-1) - 48
Benneteau (-8) - 62
Pella (-8) - 67

Rises

Anderson (+1) - 8
Edmund (+2) - 14
Pouille (+1) - 18
Cecchinato (+1) - 21
Medvedev (+10) - 22
Basilashvili (+11) - 23
Shapovalov (+2) - 29
de Minaur (+5) - 33
Millman (+1) - 34
Struff (+7) - 49
Delbonis (+10) - 81
Istomin (+16) - 87
Carballes Baena (+7) - 90

Falls

Dimitrov (-1) - 9
Schwartzman (-2) - 16
Coric (-1) - 19
Carreno Busta (-3) - 24
Chung (-3) - 26
Khachanov (-3) - 27
Bautista Agut (-2) - 28
Verdasco (-2) - 30
Simon (-2) - 31
Johnson (-2) - 32
Kyrgios (-11) - 38
Mannarino (-13) - 46
Ebden (-3) - 51
Harrison (-9) - 58
Marterer (-7) - 64
Tomic (-9) - 85
Norrie (-11) - 89
Kubler (+1) - 91
Copil (-8) - 96

Kyrgios needs a fall in the rankings so he can actually wake up and pull the finger out. It ain't just going to happen for ya mate. His game has deteriorated to the point were he is a serve bot ATM and nothing else. That won't get him success. Go and get a coach you lazy tool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Kyrgios' dummy spit? Did he get a code violation? If he didn't, was one deserved?

My only interest is if Serena supporters would have a claim to point out double standards.

This is what I really dislike about the ATP tour atm. All these big events at the end of the year. The Paris Masters is the worst event on the tour. Has no point of being in Paris and being so late in the year.(broken record here)

To think the players from the Davis Cup won't finish their year till November 19th...... And they wonder why the new Davis Cup date is an issue.

This is what I really dislike about the ATP tour atm. All these big events at the end of the year. The Paris Masters is the worst event on the tour. Has no point of being in Paris and being so late in the year.(broken record here)

To think the players from the Davis Cup won't finish their year till November 19th...... And they wonder why the new Davis Cup date is an issue.
Poor scheduling. No one will want to play mid late November, most players are taking a break by then.

The Paris Masters is a great event, especially if the court is playing quick because it gives the sport something different. I admit I usually have tennis fatigue by that stage of the year. Hence why the Davis Cup in the end of November is an awful idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back