Game Day 2018 Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

So it seems our attendance is starting to take a hit. Here is the comparison on last year:

Round 1 Melbourne: 36249
Round 3 Brisbane: 23097
Round 5 Geelong: 33884
Round 7 GWS: 21160

Round 1 Brisbane: 23731
Round 3 Adelaide: 19324
Round 5 GWS: 14956
Round 7 Melbourne: 25496

there are factors that explain the down turn. for starters, we have played mainly low drawing interstate clubs. so we lost the one home game against geelong, early, when enthusiasm is there. but overall i feel the clubs poor onfield performance is the biggest explanation. its clear fans don't want to rock up and watch us get beaten.

game vs GWS is down 6k. Brisbane was up slightly but it was also strengthened by being the opening game of the season. however our opening round game was down 12k, mainly due to being played against an interstate club. round 2 game down 3k. our round 7 game against a victorian club only drew 5k more than our game against GWS the year before. game vs melbourne down 10k.

i wonder as a % how much we are down on previous seasons at the same point

For those of you who venture to the Footy Industry board, and specifically the crowds and ratings threads, you may have seen some of my posts from previous years comparing average crowds to the actual crowds matches get.

What I do is compare the average crowd from 2000-2017 for that particular match-up with the crowd seen on the day. So far this year our crowds are stacking up awfully with our crowds from those seasons (although surprisingly the last two home matches haven't been as bad):

Round 1 - StK vs Bris:
Observed: 23,731
Expected: 32,039
Difference: -8,308

Round 3 - StK vs Adel:
Observed: 19,324
Expected: 28,293
Difference: -8,969

Round 5 - StK vs GWS:
Observed: 14,956
Expected: 19,595
Difference: -4,639

Round 7 - StK vs Melb:
Observed: 25,496
Expected: 30,535
Difference: -5,039

Basically our crowds have been terrible this season, although the last couple have been understandable. I don't really blame members for not turning up and having to sit through genuinely awful football when they've already given money to the club.

For those of you who venture to the Footy Industry board, and specifically the crowds and ratings threads, you may have seen some of my posts from previous years comparing average crowds to the actual crowds matches get.

What I do is compare the average crowd from 2000-2017 for that particular match-up with the crowd seen on the day. So far this year our crowds are stacking up awfully with our crowds from those seasons (although surprisingly the last two home matches haven't been as bad):

Round 1 - StK vs Bris:

Round 3 - StK vs Adel:

Round 5 - StK vs GWS:

Round 7 - StK vs Melb:

Basically our crowds have been terrible this season, although the last couple have been understandable. I don't really blame members for not turning up and having to sit through genuinely awful football when they've already given money to the club.

I must say I don't get the expected attendance for the first 2 home games. There is no way we would get those figures based on the last few years.

Theres factors to each game, like the GWS game was on a Friday night last year which always pulls a bigger crowd than early Saturday afternoon games.

But overall the drop in performance is always going to have a negative effect.

The R2 loss to North was a big dent for supporters you feel, even though it was an away game.

Since then we haven't been able to really give a great show other than the GWS game which was certainly needed.

It's not an opinion Plugger, that is what we've averaged against those teams in the past.

Yes but not in the last few years. There is no way we were getting those crowds based on ladder positions. The Brisbane crowd would have been rated ok by the Saints and Etihad. The Adelaide crowd would have been down a bit. The last 2 were disappointing more than the first 2 IMO.

Five years as head coach for this. Do you think Richo can turn this around? If not, cut the losses and make the change.
Hope I don't come off as patronising, but this is one of the many differences between football and Aussie Rules.

In football, if you sack your coach, you've got a world full of top leagues to chose from to find a proven winner or an up and comer.

In the AFL, there's a total of 17 other head coaches, most of whom are either unable to be poached or not that good. You can count the out of work head coaches with premierships and who aren't hopelessly out of date on one hand. The head coaches who've won premierships in the last 20 years are:

2017 Hardwick (no way he'd move for the moment)
2016 Beveridge (we nearly got him, got emotional link, but he's a bit of a loose goose and if the dogs ever let him go there'd be a reason. Still not convinced his brand of footy has a future, but could reinvent)
2015 Clarkson (currently letting his contract run down at Hawthorn and would be the obvious choice for any club - a modern day great and legend in his lifetime, we probably couldn't afford him)
2014 Clarkson
2013 Clarkson
2012 Longmire (still working at Swans, doubt he'd move for a few more years)
2011 Scott (ditto for Cats)
2010 Malthouse (old fogey, better choice as director of footy or something)
2009 Thompson (currently facing jail time for his alleged drug dealing: knowing our club, we'll probably pay his bail and turn a blind eye to him dealing out of the coaches box on game day if he can get us to the holy grail)
2008 Clarkson
2007 Thompson
2006 Worsfold (Currently at Essendon, unsure of his ability frankly)
2005 Roos (personally not a fan, but he is the 'Sam Alladyce option' who got Melbourne back on track and groomed his successor Goodwin)
2004 Williams (the option we would have chosen had we not chosen Richo, don't know where he is now)
2003 Matthews (retired, bit out of touch, I actually had a dream the other night that he was coaching St Kilda!)
2002 Matthews
2001 Matthews
2000 Sheedy (Another fogey. First coach of GWS before handing over to Cameron, retired after long service at Dons)
1999 Pagan (different era back then)
1998 Blight (aaahhh yeah, we tried that already - didn't work out)
1997 Blight

You could take an assistant and hope that he can succeed in the top job: after all that's what we did the last 3 times for Lyon, Watters and Richardson. Probably our most realistic option. Plenty of potential out there.

Or you could find someone from the lower leagues, but bearing in mind there is no relegation/promotion, those clubs have never had exposure to the highest level so it's a real stab in the dark.

It's not an opinion Plugger, that is what we've averaged against those teams in the past.
Great original post mate. Gives us some insight into exactly how down things are.

Re this post, the ignore button is a wonderful feature. Every thread is of course still being derailed by the same poster over and over, but at least you don't have to see (or get sucked into) the same gaslighting.

Anyway thanks for the stats. All as I can say is thank f*** for the GWS game. For everyone who attended I think that was enough to keep us coming back for the rest of the year. Without that game it could have got very ugly, even for rusted on members!

Hope I don't come off as patronising, but this is one of the many differences between football and Aussie Rules.

In football, if you sack your coach, you've got a world full of top leagues to chose from to find a proven winner or an up and comer.

In the AFL, there's a total of 17 other head coaches, most of whom are either unable to be poached or not that good. You can count the out of work head coaches with premierships and who aren't hopelessly out of date on one hand. The head coaches who've won premierships in the last 20 years are:

2017 Hardwick (no way he'd move for the moment)
2016 Beveridge (we nearly got him, got emotional link, but he's a bit of a loose goose and if the dogs ever let him go there'd be a reason. Still not convinced his brand of footy has a future, but could reinvent)
2015 Clarkson (currently letting his contract run down at Hawthorn and would be the obvious choice for any club - a modern day great and legend in his lifetime, we probably couldn't afford him)
2014 Clarkson
2013 Clarkson
2012 Longmire (still working at Swans, doubt he'd move for a few more years)
2011 Scott (ditto for Cats)
2010 Malthouse (old fogey, better choice as director of footy or something)
2009 Thompson (currently facing jail time for his alleged drug dealing: knowing our club, we'll probably pay his bail and turn a blind eye to him dealing out of the coaches box on game day if he can get us to the holy grail)
2008 Clarkson
2007 Thompson
2006 Worsfold (Currently at Essendon, unsure of his ability frankly)
2005 Roos (personally not a fan, but he is the 'Sam Alladyce option' who got Melbourne back on track and groomed his successor Goodwin)
2004 Williams (the option we would have chosen had we not chosen Richo, don't know where he is now)
2003 Matthews (retired, bit out of touch, I actually had a dream the other night that he was coaching St Kilda!)
2002 Matthews
2001 Matthews
2000 Sheedy (First coach of GWS before handing over to Cameron, retired after long service at Dons)
1999 Pagan (different era back then)
1998 Blight (aaahhh yeah, we tried that already - didn't work out)
1997 Blight

You could take an assistant and hope that he can succeed in the top job: after all that's what we did the last 3 times for Lyon, Watters and Richardson. Probably our most realistic option. Plenty of potential out there.

Or you could find someone from the lower leagues, but bearing in mind there is no relegation/promotion, those clubs have never had exposure to the highest level so it's a real stab in the dark.

You aren't being patronising at all mate, so no problem. You're right, AFL is a completely different kettle of fish, due in large part to the fact it's a small pool of replacements to pick from. I'm just thinking of the team's performances under a coach who has had five years and who said 2018 was Saints' year to make a move into finals again. Seven games in and it's difficult to see where Saints' next win is going to come from, and, if defeat continues to follow defeat, a decision will need to be made at some stage. That's life in professional sport.

Great original post mate. Gives us some insight into exactly how down things are.

Re this post, the ignore button is a wonderful feature. Every thread is of course still being derailed by the same poster over and over, but at least you don't have to see (or get sucked into) the same gaslighting.

Anyway thanks for the stats. All as I can say is thank f*** for the GWS game. For everyone who attended I think that was enough to keep us coming back for the rest of the year. Without that game it could have got very ugly, even for rusted on members!

As I'm obviously on ignore you will find that what I said to the poster wasn't derailing the thread. It was relevant. I suggest if you have people on ignore you don't guess what they said. I doubt the poster is even slightly upset by my comment. I was just pointing out what I don't think the expected figures are relevant. Weird.

Round 1 - StK vs Bris:

Round 3 - StK vs Adel:

Round 5 - StK vs GWS:

Round 7 - StK vs Melb:

ripping post! i didnt know you were doing it. ill have to keep an eye on that thread now. its great detail!

On the money, will take your advice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I'm obviously on ignore you will find that what I said to the poster wasn't derailing the thread. It was relevant. I suggest if you have people on ignore you don't guess what they said. I doubt the poster is even slightly upset by my comment. I was just pointing out what I don't think the expected figures are relevant. Weird.
If you quote a post everyone can see ut if they use the app.

So everyone can now see it plugs.

Your welcome

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

the wink face didnt give away the sarcasm? ;)

Of course I knew you were kidding....as was I.
Just trying to find some humour in this whole depressing saga :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back