Injury list as of Tuesday, April 10
Alex Keath (Ankle) – 1 – 2 weeks -
Matt Crouch (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Kyle Cheney (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Sam Gibson (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Brad Crouch (Groin Soreness) – 5 – 6 weeks -
Andrew McPherson (Groin Soreness) – 5 – 6 weeks -
Brodie Smith (Knee) – Indefinite

Keath has been 1 week for the last 3 weeks, Gibson similar.

Good to see the removal of a TBC on McPherson.

Brouch watch -

Rd 1- 6-8

Rd 2- 5-7

Rd 3- 6

Rd 4- 5-6

Rd 5- 5-6

Last edited:
do we think smith will come back this year? needed if we are going to contend imo. have lost a bit of pace and xfactor with him and charlie out.

do we think smith will come back this year? needed if we are going to contend imo. have lost a bit of pace and xfactor with him and charlie out.
We would have to go deep into finals if he’s any chance at returning. Assuming an ACL is a twelve month injury, with any luck he could come back a little sooner, but he would need Atleast a few weeks in the sanfl.

So Otten passed his test. Keath must have failed as he was down for test yesterday. So into the SANFL this week should have Otten and Fogarty. Bringing our top list down to 6. 10 in round one. 8 last week and now 6. So improving. Hopefull we have 2 strong sides soon and not just one

So Otten passed his test. Keath must have failed as he was down for test yesterday. So into the SANFL this week should have Otten and Fogarty. Bringing our top list down to 6. 10 in round one. 8 last week and now 6. So improving. Hopefull we have 2 strong sides soon and not just one
Well with Gibson & crouch coming off that will boost those numbers again (obviously not mrouch in SANFL) & hopefully less players playing out of position cause after all wasn't that why we wanted our own SANFL side?

We would have to go deep into finals if he’s any chance at returning. Assuming an ACL is a twelve month injury, with any luck he could come back a little sooner, but he would need Atleast a few weeks in the sanfl.
do you think we would almost rush him back if we were looking at top 4? usually 12 month acls include like a heap of extra time 'just in case' i thought. he was injured first week of finals. would it be conceivable he plays sort of r18-21 sanfl and breaks into team around r22 afl? that would be obviously awesome

I'd like to think we are getting better and creating scores from our midfield this year, cause your right, the electric fast ball movement seems to be missing.

Might not be the worst thing for us to learn to attack in a different way though. Last year we used the slingshot from the HB line better then anyone, but on the games we got beaten in that was the first thing to go away and we seemed to lack a plan B. This year we dont seem to have that part of our game up and running so far (compounded by not having Smith), but we are still averaging 103 points per game. It has to be coming from somewhere!

I'd like to think we are getting better and creating scores from our midfield this year, cause your right, the electric fast ball movement seems to be missing.

Might not be the worst thing for us to learn to attack in a different way though. Last year we used the slingshot from the HB line better then anyone, but on the games we got beaten in that was the first thing to go away and we seemed to lack a plan B. This year we dont seem to have that part of our game up and running so far (compounded by not having Smith), but we are still averaging 103 points per game. It has to be coming from somewhere!
i agree with you. but i also think that to contend, we will need that slingshot off hb. mackay back there is just not good enough. smith is elite. even coming back from acl i think hell be inconsistent but still absolutely a bit factor for the team. its great if we can build our goal creation through midfield, adding smith back to our rebound can only make us more dangerous.

This weeks injury list-

Injury list as of Tuesday, April 10
Alex Keath (Ankle) – 1 – 2 weeks -
Matt Crouch (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Kyle Cheney (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Sam Gibson (Hamstring) – 2 weeks -
Brad Crouch (Groin Soreness) – 5 – 6 weeks -
Andrew McPherson (Groin Soreness) – 5 – 6 weeks -
Brodie Smith (Knee) – Indefinite

Keath has been 1 week for the last 3 weeks, Gibson similar.

Good to see the removal of a TBC on McPherson.

Brouch watch -

Rd 1- 6-8

Rd 2- 5-7

Rd 3- 6

Rd 4- 5-6

So taking the average of the figures presented for Brad Crouch:

Round 1: 7 weeks
Round 2: 6 weeks
Round 3: 6 weeks
Round 4: 5.5 weeks

Not looking good for him

Keath
Round 1: 1 week
Round 2: 1 week
Round 3: 1.5 weeks
Round 4: 1.5 weeks

Gibson:
Round 2: 1.5 weeks
Round 3: 2.5 weeks
Round 4: 2 weeks

Yes I think Smith will be back this year and all reports indicate he is tracking well.

Seedsman, or the Clone, has stepped up beautifully this year which has helped cover the loss of Smith as they are quite similar players. Murphy, while not as developed as CC does provide pace and some x-factor. Throw in Doedee in place of Lever and the addition of Gibbs who I believe is fast becoming our most important player, along with the natural development of players and I think we are at least as good and probably better than last year. Due to the further development of players and he squad I cannot see us having a game and a period like we did when we played North Melbourne last year. In fact our injury count is not that bad with only the Crouches and Smith the only certain first 22 starters missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well with Gibson & crouch coming off that will boost those numbers again (obviously not mrouch in SANFL) & hopefully less players playing out of position cause after all wasn't that why we wanted our own SANFL side?
Mrouch's return forces someone (probably CEY) out of the AFL team, and back to the SANFL. Still a boost to the SANFL side, even if the effect is only indirect.

i agree with you. but i also think that to contend, we will need that slingshot off hb. mackay back there is just not good enough. smith is elite. even coming back from acl i think hell be inconsistent but still absolutely a bit factor for the team. its great if we can build our goal creation through midfield, adding smith back to our rebound can only make us more dangerous.
I don't think we've lost it, I just think we are building back to it, and finding it hard with some key missing pieces. Fitness plays a role as well, as it usually takes 3-4 rounds to reach full fitness, maybe a week or so longer for late September teams from the year before.

Also I do think our lockdown back line guys have strung some good games together. So the opportunities for the running link men will come off the back of that.

So taking the average of the figures presented for Brad Crouch:

Round 1: 7 weeks
Round 2: 6 weeks
Round 3: 6 weeks
Round 4: 5.5 weeks

Not looking good for him

Keath
Round 1: 1 week
Round 2: 1 week
Round 3: 1.5 weeks
Round 4: 1.5 weeks

Gibson:
Round 2: 1.5 weeks
Round 3: 2.5 weeks
Round 4: 2 weeks
Feels like total guesswork with brad sadly.

Feels like total guesswork with brad sadly.
When you're talking injuries that will last more than a month, then it's invariably hard to pinpoint an exact comeback date. More so hard to predict for serious injuries such as Smith's ACL.

We shouldn't rule out Smith having a serious tilt at coming back to our AFL side this year. He's going to be hungry having missed last year's GF. I'm guessing he'll start playing in the SANFL around 3 quarters into the season, and if form and fitness picks up, he'll be a very handy backup for anyone out with injury or form in the latter rounds.

Yes I think Smith will be back this year and all reports indicate he is tracking well.

Seedsman, or the Clone, has stepped up beautifully this year which has helped cover the loss of Smith as they are quite similar players. Murphy, while not as developed as CC does provide pace and some x-factor. Throw in Doedee in place of Lever and the addition of Gibbs who I believe is fast becoming our most important player, along with the natural development of players and I think we are at least as good and probably better than last year. Due to the further development of players and he squad I cannot see us having a game and a period like we did when we played North Melbourne last year. In fact our injury count is not that bad with only the Crouches and Smith the only certain first 22 starters missing.
I agree with this but obviously smith in as well as seed in this form would be epic

Wishful thinking IMO to believe Smith will be back to the Smith we need so soon after a full knee reco.
I dont think hell be at his top level for the end of this year. but i do think hell still be able to kick and run. will be more inconsistent obviously. but we will need him for a rebound i still feel. and kickouts. As long as he can handle his defensive duties and do the odd special thing, i would take that any day of the week. We need his risky yet effective kicking back if we are going to win a premiership

imagine elite kicking from smith, milera, atkins, seed, gibbs, walker, laird in the team. with good field kicking from matt crouch, lynch all in. we would be have epic disposal efficiency and could speed up/slow down the game at will. obviously this relies on guys like smith, milera atkins and seed all being on. which they are obviously all hot and cold (smith assumed only because injury).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back