2018 Best 22

My concern is the lack of pace, esp in the backline.
Who are our linebreakers? Tag Isaac Smiff and we become like Punt Road on a Fridee arvo..
Me too. Still look short of line breakers up back and thru the middle if the old guard hold out the youngsters.

Fetnarr

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My concern is the lack of pace, esp in the backline.
Who are our linebreakers? Tag Isaac Smiff and we become like Punt Road on a Fridee arvo..
Sic, Birch, Burger and Burto can all break lines from defence, throw in a mix of Impey, Smith, Puopolo, Rioli, Morrison and Glass through the midfield and forward line and we have plenty

I really hope Glass can become our other winger. Has toe is aggressive and works hard defensively.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Sic, Birch, Burger and Burto can all break lines from defence, throw in a mix of Impey, Smith, Puopolo, Rioli, Morrison and Glass through the midfield and forward line and we have plenty

I really hope Glass can become our other winger. Has toe is aggressive and works hard defensively.

I have high hopes for Glass too, and I would like to think his mate Nash could be the Hawks surprise packet this year.

Wizzmania

Senior List
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does Glass have enough mongrel in him? I know he has only played a few games but he was a little too nice for mine. Would love to hear he has been taking some angry pills over the summer, or that his grandpa was once in the IRA.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There is a massive issue the Hawthorn FC have this year, and it's how the hell do you get 22 games into 45 players who all deserve 22 games.

It's January and this is what you do on big footy right?

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Does Glass have enough mongrel in him? I know he has only played a few games but he was a little too nice for mine. Would love to hear he has been taking some angry pills over the summer, or that his grandpa was once in the IRA.

I think you should watch his games more closely. He has plenty, and he is a red headed Irishman, what more do you want?

only just over 6 weeks until JLT kicks off and we can really start seeing who might crack in or drop out of the 22

it's good that we have a pretty healthy list and most of the blokes are getting a full preseason in

i still really don't know how I want us to line up

Wizzmania

Senior List
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think you should watch his games more closely. He has plenty, and he is a red headed Irishman, what more do you want?
Sawasdee Thaihawk.
Ok so I followed your instructions and watched his games more closely, esp the final round vs Bulldogs. And you know what? He does have red hair. Well I'll be jiggered. Exciting prospect. Big 2018 ahead.
Imagine if Conor Nash comes on too. 197cms with pace. Eyewatering

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Sawasdee Thaihawk.
Ok so I followed your instructions and watched his games more closely, esp the final round vs Bulldogs. And you know what? He does have red hair. Well I'll be jiggered. Exciting prospect. Big 2018 ahead.
Imagine if Conor Nash comes on too. 197cms with pace. Eyewatering

I am waiting with bated breath for Nash to play AFL. I believe he and Glass will be special for us.

Wizzmania

Senior List
Jan 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am waiting with bated breath for Nash to play AFL. I believe he and Glass will be special for us.
This offers a good insight into the big Irishman. Interesting when Clarko addressed the group ahead of Glass's debut, he made mention that Nashie your time will come.(from memory they initially couldn't get hold of Glass, and had to ring Nash to find out where he was). I gather Nash is rated internally.

http://www.the42.ie/conor-nash-interview-hawthorn-afl-3384603-May2017/

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I don't like to stereotype.... but

Glass is Irish and he is a red-head (Northern Ireland).

the irish tend to carry, on the surface, a sense of sporting fairness and a high sense of justice, and will stand up to any man or country if that is challenged

the way he smashed that Richmond player in the goal square 2017 was the sporting and fairness part

if anyone offends Glass' team, or does them an injustice, I would not want to be in their shoes... that is the true irish and red-head part.

Lethal44

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
HARDWICK BRAND STRATTON
BIRCHALL FRAWLEY SICILY
SMITH O’MEARA BURTON
BRUEST GUNSTON RIOLI
PUOPOLO ROUGHEAD O’BRIEN
McEVOY SHIELS MITCHELL
BURGOYNE IMPEY HOWE O’ROURKE

I believe Burton on the wing would be a very hard match up for the opposition.

I’d like to see Gunston back up in the forward half, now that Birchall, Frawley and Stratton have returned.

O’Brien to hold his spot as secondary ruck for the time being, make or break year for Timmy.

I’ve gone for O’Rourke over Morrison for the last spot, we need to find out early in the piece if this guy can play.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

That hit in the goal square showed a bit.

It's hard because most of our kids aren't covered in ink with dodgy haircuts which makes one think... (we all know plenty of footballers that look tough but aren't though)

Siss, Burto, Kiwi and Hardwick seem to have a bit, I think Glass, Nash and Cuz do too, Worps as well...

Harry, Lewis Mitchell, Ollie, Jones, Moore, Ross... will wait and see...

I have faith though.

HARDWICK BRAND STRATTON
BIRCHALL FRAWLEY SICILY
SMITH O’MEARA BURTON
BRUEST GUNSTON RIOLI
PUOPOLO ROUGHEAD O’BRIEN
McEVOY SHIELS MITCHELL
BURGOYNE IMPEY HOWE O’ROURKE

I believe Burton on the wing would be a very hard match up for the opposition.

I’d like to see Gunston back up in the forward half, now that Birchall, Frawley and Stratton have returned.

O’Brien to hold his spot as secondary ruck for the time being, make or break year for Timmy.

I’ve gone for O’Rourke over Morrison for the last spot, we need to find out early in the piece if this guy can play.

O’Brien’s contract got extended til end of 2019 so think he’s got a bit of time on his side. Love the glimpses that he’s shown this past year. Just needs to do it consistently week in, week out.

O’Brien’s contract got extended til end of 2019 so think he’s got a bit of time on his side. Love the glimpses that he’s shown this past year. Just needs to do it consistently week in, week out.

O’Brien should kick close to 30 goals this year if he keeps on improving.

O’Brien should kick close to 30 goals this year if he keeps on improving.

I'm going to use contested marks as a yard-stick for O'Brien instead of goals. Naturally the two will have some tie in but I'd love to see him clunking the marks that we all know he can.

Back