Gugs9

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan
Maybe hearing Garry Lyon mention we will come last in 2018, or so many doom and gloom stories about a supposed massive rebuild, made me think what our best 22 might look like next year.

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Gaff Sheed Jetta
Cripps Vardy/Lycett Lecras
Darling Kennedy Rioli
Nic Nat Shuey Redden

Vernables Partington Hutchings Cole/Emac

To me, there is no reason why with a bit more polish in close games, the return of nic nat, some pace with youth like vernables and another crumbing forward like rioli, we could still quite easily challenge for top 4 again next year.

Of all those guys lecras is probably the only older guy with a question mark, but i reckon with an injury free pre season he could contribute for 1 more.

Or is my outlook too optimistic

Last edited:

inbetween

All Australian
Aug 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings
We may not be a great team but we sure as hell aint spoon material. Just a middling team, probably good enough to make finals (or just miss out) in most seasons.
Dont know why Garry Lyon and the like think we are suddenly going to implode on ourselves.

Just getting Naitanui back should change the entire team dynamic. What will happen is that >80% of our current best 22 remains best 22 next season, and the only ones that change would be likely the midfield retirements.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Nelson McGovern Yeo
Gaff Sheed Duggan
Cripps Darling Venables
Vardy Kennedy Rioli
Nic Nat Shuey Redden

Watson, Partington, Cole, Mutimer

Depth: Jetta, Wellingham, Hutchings, Emac, Schofield, Lycett, Waterman.

Thats with no free agents or mature trades.

Ps Gary Lyon is a total flog and hates the Eagles for some reason. He's dreaming.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
We may not be a great team but we sure as hell aint spoon material. Just a middling team, probably good enough to make finals (or just miss out) in most seasons.
Dont know why Garry Lyon and the like think we are suddenly going to implode on ourselves.

Just getting Naitanui back should change the entire team dynamic. What will happen is that >80% of our current best 22 remains best 22 next season, and the only ones that change would be likely the midfield retirements.
Lyon was smashed as a player by WC. he then ran the melbourne tanking and lauded the VFL player wot over Nic who was from the wrong school -a big deal in melbourne

Hard thread to get 100% right before trade/draft period, but here goes.

HB - Brad Sheppard, Tom Barrass, Shannon Hurn
FB - Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot Yeo
C - Andrew Gaff, Jack Redden, Tim Kelly
HF - Jamie Cripps, Jack Darling, Daniel Venables
FF - Willie Rioli, Josh Kennedy, Jake Waterman

R - Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed

I - Scott Lycett, Tom Cole, Lewis Jetta, *Draftee*

- Waterman will be in the side by the midseason bye
- Yeo to play HBF and stay there
- Le Cras to either retire this year or get dropped next year; Cripps to regain form
- Kelly and Venables will play Round 1 and cement their spots
- Lycett to take the 2nd ruck spot ahead of Vardy
- Watson will stagnate and slide out of contention (150% hope this isn't the case)
- Nelson to play WAFL for much of the year; the same with Partington - both overtaken by Cole
- The shorter backline to return - the forward line looks a little tall with Lycett on the bench which is one concern
- A mature draftee/traded in player to take that last bench spot

The side still looks a long way off in the midfield to be honest.

Last edited:

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Haha, last in 2018. I bet that guess is based upon a two second consideration of the fact we're going to lose 500+ games of experience with Priddis and Mitchell gone and therefore will obviously do a North and bottom out.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Hurn - Emac - Barrass
Duggan - Gov - Sheppard
Yeo - Redden - Gaff
Venables - Darling - Waterman
Rioli - Kennedy - Cripps

Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed

Partington - Watson - Lycett/Vardy - Cole

That's with out knowing who we will draft/trade and using what we have.

EastPete

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Hurn - Emac - Barrass
Duggan - Gov - Sheppard
Yeo - Redden - Gaff
Venables - Darling - Waterman
Rioli - Kennedy - Cripps

Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed

Partington - Watson - Lycett/Vardy - Cole

That's with out knowing who we will draft/trade and using what we have.

We need to do a trade in a quality midfielder and we need to stop playing Darling at CHF.

rjbak3r

Draftee
Sep 19, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha were the Eagles the ones that gave Lyon up to Billy about his missus haha because he has a pure hate for us..

Last edited:
B: Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB: Nelson Gov Duggan
C: Gaff Sheed Yeo
HF: Darling Vardy Venables
F: Cripps JJK Partington
R: Naita Shuey Redden

I: Jetta, Cole, Mutimer, Hutchings

Rioli a chance to slot into the forward pocket if he is fit and firing. Mutes to drop back in that instance.

Trade period/drafting period exceptions, yadda yadda yadda.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Posted this in another thread a while ago but would love this team and MC policy.

I still think that with his latest comments re the team in 12 months that Simpson is fighting that battle to get the youth in to the team and think he is the right guy.

But a best 22 from Round 1 2018 I'm hoping looks like this:

Sheppard Barrass Hurn

Cole McGovern Yeo

Jetta Redden Gaff

Venables Vardy Karpany

Lecras Kennedy Darling

NN Shuey Sheed

Lycett Duggan Cripps Nelson

Also with a selection policy to be like for like i.e. Mackenzie only gets a game if Barrass or McGovern or depending on matchups Schofield goes down. Not best player outside of the team needs to come in regardless of who is in. Schofield who has more utility can be considered for smaller roles.

The balance with that team is turning a few HB's into Mids. Cole, Duggan, Nelson & Yeo need to slot in to 2 spots. 2 of them need to become a mid rotation at the very least. Personally think Yeo's game wont translate to the midfield as well as his match winning HB'er role does.

That team offers better run and is much more balanced physically. Lecras on last legs with Rioli to take that position when ready. Stuff off the credits in the bank / runs on the board system past 3-4 poor games from anyone. A month of poor footy should see you in the 2nd's not half a season.

twce13

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
things change quickly in the footy world.

But we really need two things to happen over the off-season

1) Nail the draft
2) huge pre-season for the younger tier. We desperately need a few of these guys to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
We need to do a trade in a quality midfielder and we need to stop playing Darling at CHF.

The more this is discussed the more roads lead to Rockliff.

Fits a need for sure, age of 28 lines up with getting decent supply to our forward line before Kennedy retires, can effectively play forward and stints in the midfield so the younger developing mids get preference and he is a FA and we have massive cap space to spend.

Mates with Redden.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Age at the start of the years added too.

Hurn (30) Barrass (22) Shep (26)
Duggan (21) Gov (25) Yeo (24)

Parto (20) Sheed (22) Gaff (25)

Waterman (19) Darling (25) Cripps (25)
Rioli (22) J K (29) Jetta (28)

Ruck Nic Nat (27) Shuey (27) Redden (27)

Bench: Nelson (21) , Venables (19), Vardy (26) Cole (20)

Emg/Depth: Karpany, Wellingham, Leccra, Petrie, Muitmer, Mckenzie, Schofield

Backline:

- Still a pretty good backline! I would bring in Mckenzie if we are playing an overly big team
- Cole on the bench to be the extra running defender.
- Duggan/ Yeo to spend time in the guts
- Gov to stay down back but swing forward in a pinch.

Midfield:

- Nelson to spend the pre-season building up his tank and to become a tagger in the midfield. He has pace and is tough but is wasted down back if you ask me.
- Venables to build his tank back up and be that mid that rotates on the HHF.
- Sheed and Redden to be the main inside mid grunt. Sheed should aim for 15-20 goals for the year.
- Shuey just needs to stay injury free and do his thing and with Nic Nat back should be back to his best.
- Partington to spend some time on a wing and then work his way into the guts.

Forward line:

- Look i know Darling will never be able to spend time in the midfield but it is time he lost some of the weight so he can get back to working up and down the ground if he isn't kicking goals.
- Get Cripps's tank up so he can compete in the midfield for some minutes. His pressure is good when on.
- JK just keep on keeping on.
- Jetta is to talented to keep out the side so i want him to be used as a rotation onto the wing.
- Rioli i hope gets back to his pre-season fitness and use his skill to help JK out.
- Waterman looks the good and as third tall who is apparently capable of playing further up the ground.

Not all doom and gloom.

ghost82

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe hearing Garry Lyon mention we will come last in 2018, or so many doom and gloom stories about a supposed massive rebuild, made me think what our best 22 might look like next year.

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Gaff Sheed Jetta
Darling Kennedy Rioli
Nic Nat Shuey Redden

To me, there is no reason why with a bit more polish in close games, the return of nic nat, some pace with youth like vernables and another crumbing forward like rioli, we could still quite easily challenge for top 4 again next year.

Of all those guys lecras is probably the only older guy with a question mark, but i reckon with an injury free pre season he could contribute for 1 more.

I'm a bit more pessimistic than that though I do like the look of the team you put forward we could do a lot worse and doubtful any better

MVPD01

Debutant
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Gaff Sheed Jetta
Darling Kennedy Rioli
Nic Nat Shuey Redden

Vernables...that's funny

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

MVPD01

Debutant
May 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

Garry Lyon is a dickhead who bangs his best mates mrs, so that tells you what sort of individual he is. He should piss off and never talk about football again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the other thread:

With an eye on youth:

B: Sheppard Barrass Cole

HB: Hurn McGovern Duggan

C: Gaff Shuey Yeo

HF: Venables Vardy Darling

F: Waterman Kennedy Rioli

R: Naitanui Sheed Partington

I: Lycett Nelson Cripps Karpany

Not necessarily best 22, but something to really build on with a good balance. Not certain who I may have missed either. Redden and Jetta unlucky. Watson in if he improves.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
FF Rioli Kennedy Lycett
HF Cripps Darling LeCras*
C Gaff Sheed Yeo
HB Duggan McGovern Nelson
FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
R Naitanui Redden Shuey
INT Partington Venables Cole Watson
EMG Jetta Waterman Wellingham

*We all know that LeCras will be in the team if he is fit no matter what.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
B: Sheppard - Mackenzie - Barrass
HB: Hurn - McGovern - Duggan
C: Yeo - Sheed - Gaff
HF: Venables - Darling - Karpany
F: Rioli - Kennedy - Cripps

R: Naitanui - Shuey - Redden
I: Partington - Waterman - Vardy - Snadden*

E: Lycett - Wellingham - Cole

*Just bein' cheeky.

Last edited:

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
Gary Lyon can put us last next year. In fact I hope it does so it blows up in his face.

Any Midfield with even a half fit NN is a 5 goal a week better side offensively. How people outside of WC don't realise this annoys me greatly. He is our barometer- we walk taller with him in the side.

Having said that though, it's a massive preseason for guys in our younger/2nd tier like Sheed, partington, Duggan, DV, Nelson, Cole, Karpany, Barrass. If they want to make it at this level- they have every opportunity now so they better take it.

Rockliff would be an ideal get for us for where the list is at. I doubt it happens, but hopefully the redden connection gets the job done.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Lyon was smashed as a player by WC. he then ran the melbourne tanking and lauded the VFL player wot over Nic who was from the wrong school -a big deal in melbourne
Also once referred to NN as 'exotic' and has made a career out of taking pot shots at him (and JK) which really is borderline racism. Hates West Coast with a passion, going so far as vetoing segments on them on FC as the rumours go. Blokes had a real chip on his shoulder for a long, long time when it comes to WC. (throw Damien Barrett into that mix, he's been disgusting this year...but you know...vic boys club)

EastPete

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
The more this is discussed the more roads lead to Rockliff.

Fits a need for sure, age of 28 lines up with getting decent supply to our forward line before Kennedy retires, can effectively play forward and stints in the midfield so the younger developing mids get preference and he is a FA and we have massive cap space to spend.

Mates with Redden.
Seems like a good candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back