Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to say that a lot of players have exceeded expectations. But yes Freo fans’s expectations for us this year were crazy low.

Logically it makes sense. We moved on a lot of senior players and picked up 5 kids in the first two rounds of last year's draft.

Ron The Bear posted this on the main board:

Saw this as a rebuilding year for the Eagles and had them in the bottom four. Only three teams in 60 years have won the flag when significantly younger than the previous season.

Adelaide "Forced Pensions" 1997 - Blight arrives and forcibly retires the protesting McDermott, McGuinness, A.Jarman & Anderson; Ricciuto, McLeod, Edwards, Goodwin all 20-22. Even so, the Crows drop only 0.58 years per player on the previous season.

Essendon "Baby Bombers" 1993 - Madden and Daniher retire; Hird, Wanganeen, Fletcher, Mercuri all 20yo or younger. Bombers drop by 0.74 on 1992.

Carlton "Foreign Legion" 1987 - Doull, Ashman, Maclure fall by the wayside; Kernahan, Bradley, Motley, Naley, Rhys-Jones, Madden are the hired guns and the Blues drop by 1.18 (second only to the 1945 "Bloodbath" flag, 1.21).

Currently the Eagles are 1.27 years per player younger than at the same stage in 2017, and on target to set a new record.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
In the U18 games I watched, he was OK overhead but that was not the basis of his game. I would say that area will be left for Brander and O Allen.

In terms of stats now with contested marks, you can say more gym work or you can say that he is staying out the way of Jack and Josh and playing his role.;)

Allen has the reach but Waterman has better body work and had a bigger frame when drafted. There was a better crop of talls in 2016 draft as well.

Glenno18

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, Miami Heat
FB: Barrass Hurn Duggan
HB: Cole McGovern Sheppard
C: Jetta Redden Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Waterman
FF: Lecras Kennedy Cripps

R: Naitanui Yeo Shuey

B: Sheed Lycett Venables Ryan

E: Masten Ah Chee Hutchings

Tom Cole has to stay in the team. He's calm in congestion and uses the ball well, better than Duggan.
Waterman has been very impressive. His work rate leading up to the wings as a target for the backs has allowed Darling to stay deep. As long as he's tackling hard he'll be hard to drop because he's having a big impact.
Cripps is the one who has felt the pressure from the squad depth the most this year and really gone up a gear in work rate. It'll be interesting what happens when Ryan and Venables are fit and firing again later in the year and Simmo wants to bring in Hutchings to tag.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I just can't believe that in 12 months we've gone from a situation where guys were getting games because there was no one else worth playing, to being in a position where there would be 4 or 5 guys each week (when all are fit) who would have legitimate claims to be selected, and you wouldn't be upset if they were named, but there's just not room in the team.

DohjDuckDipDive

Debutant
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I just can't believe that in 12 months we've gone from a situation where guys were getting games because there was no one else worth playing, to being in a position where there would be 4 or 5 guys each week (when all are fit) who would have legitimate claims to be selected, and you wouldn't be upset if they were named, but there's just not room in the team.

This really goes to show just how much individual performance is lifted by spirit and belief. Yes, we drafted some jets and have had a slightly better run with injury, but there’s this sense of morale and excitement around the club this year, every player chomping at the bit to get a spot, yet overjoyed by each others’ success.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

My best 22 would be

FB: Barrass Hurn Sheppard
HB: Cole McGovern Jetta
C: Masten Redden Gaff

All the following can be included an you would be happy
Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
This really goes to show just how much individual performance is lifted by spirit and belief. Yes, we drafted some jets and have had a slightly better run with injury, but there’s this sense of morale and excitement around the club this year, every player chomping at the bit to get a spot, yet overjoyed by each others’ success.
That's partly because they have a chance at selection. The midfield is no longer clogged up with slow players who were guaranteed a game regardless of form. Players already in the team no longer have to cover for guys who couldn't pick up their man when the opposition spread from the middle.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Small things that I have noticed to further take up your point:
(a) Celebrating first goals kicked by debut players
(b) JD getting more excited when Willie crumbs a goal
(c) JK playing second fiddle for a white hot darling, you can see the excitement on his face when Darling pulls down a mark.
(d) Waterman genuine sacrifice for his team mates. His own game tireless running to create space and set up play. He had 5 goal assists on the weekend.
(e) Rioli using every bit of his footy smarts to set up stuff - His fitness has gone up ten fold.
(d) Yeo - Playing under duress and stood up, he almost dared Richmond to come at him. That stuff is inspiring.

All these small sacrificial acts breed a great team culture.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
My best 22 would be

Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy
Ainsworth as well

Outback Eagle

Rookie
Oct 8, 2007
Central Australia or NSW
AFL Club
West Coast
My best 22 would be

All the following can be included an you would be happygood
Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy

This is a good team. BUT I would say our best 22 must include Petrecellue, he has so much upside. pace and footy smarts.
This highlights Simmos edge in 2018. Given a good run with injuries, we now have genuine depth. Our task for the next five games should be getting Shuey, Ryan, Venebles & Petrecellue in the best 22 AND rotating our depth through the team two settle on our best 22-26 players to make a charge at the finals.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Depth with no injuries is looking decent.

KPD: Schofield in form, hopefully Mackenzie can also provide a back-up option

S/m defs: Nelson has been decent this year. I guess after him we are a little bit short of a proven option.

Mids: Hutchings and Ainsworth are decent enough depth. Partington beyond that and also the mid/fwd options.

Mid/fwd: Venables and Ah Chee are decent players to have outside the best 22.

KPFs: Brander is playing well, and with three talls already in the team, we're unlikely to need more depth than this. M. Allen has been good too.

S/m fwds: Petrucelle is a good option I think. With 4 small forwards in our best 22 we're unlikely to need more than that.

Rucks: McInnes has been in great WAFL form. Hopefully Vardy can put his hand up as a second back-up option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a good team. BUT I would say our best 22 must include Petrecellue, he has so much upside. pace and footy smarts.
This highlights Simmos edge in 2018. Given a good run with injuries, we now have genuine depth. Our task for the next five games should be getting Shuey, Ryan, Venebles & Petrecellue in the best 22 AND rotating our depth through the team two settle on our best 22-26 players to make a charge at the finals.
Agreed i guess Venebles or Petrecellue i would be happy with either

kempy

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My best 22 would be

Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy

I think Duggan is best 22 every day, and would probably take Jetta’s spot in your team. Tough as nails is Duggan and could be Woosha Mark 2 down the track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones

Truthfully, that's kind of an inevitable result of 9 wins in a row- usually the outs are way more obvious after a loss.

My best 22 at the moment, purely on output and assuming it were for a must win final, and based on the form players have shown this year. It is interesting how many guys have come from nowhere to effectively nail a spot in the 22- Redden, Hutchings and Duggan have all gone from fringe players to genuine quality performers each week, and I'm not sure Rioli or Cole are ever going to be dropped- they are simply instant quality.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Duggan McGovern Jetta
C Gaff Yeo Sheed
HF Rioli Darling Waterman
FF Lecras Kennedy Ryan

R Naitanui Shuey Redden
Int: Lycett Hutchings Cripps Cole

Venables and Masten unlucky. Would have one of them in for Jetta if it weren't for his game turning efforts in extra time against port last year. I think Cripps' days in the team are numbered if Ryan comes back and plays stellar football.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
My best 22 would be

Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy
Duggan not best 22?

dodgie

Team Captain
Dec 1, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
My best 22 would be

Hutchings
Achee
Duggan
Brander
Petracellue
FMac
Vardy

I think you're short 1 defender in that team. 1 of those forwards would have to be sacrificed for Duggan, otherwise we'll be rotating midfielders through the backline and are likely to leak goals because it isn't their strong suit. Personally I'd take Cripps out, move Ryan onto the field and plunk Duggan on the bench, but Venables could be unlucky too.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Jetta is on my watch list, along with Masten, Hutchings and Ah Chee.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you're short 1 defender in that team. 1 of those forwards would have to be sacrificed for Duggan, otherwise we'll be rotating midfielders through the backline and are likely to leak goals because it isn't their strong suit. Personally I'd take Cripps out, move Ryan onto the field and plunk Duggan on the bench, but Venables could be unlucky too.
I think from watching games Duggan is a must he has to play every week and he is not flakey either

Logically it makes sense. We moved on a lot of senior players and picked up 5 kids in the first two rounds of last year's draft.

Ron The Bear posted this on the main board:
2017 was unusual, though, as we brought in Mitchell and Petrie on 1 year deals. Remove them from the equation and our average age drop 2017-2018 would be nowhere near as significant. All the other examples in Ron's post cover situations where long-term players retired.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It sucks to lose Darling. We'd have been close to full strength shortly after the bye.

The way I see our best 22 now is this:

B: Duggan Barrass Sheppard
HB: Hurn McGovern Cole
C: Gaff Redden ?
F: LeCras Kennedy Cripps
Int: Lycett ? ? ?

Basically Masten, Sheed, Hutchings, Nelson, Jetta, Ryan, Venables and Ah Chee are vying for those last four spots. In light of that, I wonder if we'll bring in a direct replacement for Darling. Maybe just slot Ryan into a FP and maybe use Ah Chee as a mid-sized option.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
B: Duggan Barrass Cole
HB: Hurn McGovern Sheppard
C: Gaff Redden Masten
HF: Rioli Darling Lecras
F: Waterman Kennedy Ryan
Int: Lycett Cripps Venables Sheed

EMG: Ah Chee, Hutchings, Nelson

Will be missing Darling, Masten and Venables for sure for Sydney. Ryan is also a likely miss. Masten and Ryan back for the Bombers, Darling and Venables for Adelaide?

Would love to see a 100% full strength side.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
B: Duggan Barrass Cole
HB: Hurn McGovern Sheppard
C: Gaff Redden Masten
HF: Rioli Darling Lecras
F: Waterman Kennedy Ryan
Int: Lycett Cripps Venables Sheed

EMG: Ah Chee, Hutchings, Nelson

Will be missing Darling, Masten and Venables for sure for Sydney. Ryan is also a likely miss. Masten and Ryan back for the Bombers, Darling and Venables for Adelaide?

Would love to see a 100% full strength side.
Yep that would be my best 22 as well we are missing 4 of the best 22 as mentioned above.
(a) Ryan is a maybe for Sydney
(b) Masten back for the Bombers
(c) Darling will be up for the GWS game - Misses 4 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back