Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Myers is a hard one to read. I don't think that I want him to 'replace' Jobe in a structural sense as I think that we have to take the plunge and rely on Langford primarily as the replacement.

When I think about what it is that Jobe does well the replacement is not as simple as putting up the next biggest body to play as an inside midfielder. It's just as much a style of player, which is a first touch clearance player who will absorb that pressure to set up other players primarily by hand-balling. Because most posters are too busy writing Langford off as soft they can't see the similarities in game style.

In this regard Myers is not really a replacement, he's someone who is better suited to a defensive role (whereas Jobe's was fundamentally attacking) around the ball. Myers is not really clean enough by hand. It's the defensive roles that Myers was performing in 2013 and 2014 I think we can expect that Myers can get back to that level for the next few years. Given all of the problems he has had in the last three seasons I doubt that we'll see Myers' best and most effective footy in an attacking midfield role.

The issue is whether Worsfold thinks that there is a need for the defensive role. I think, at least initially, there is absolutely a need while we are waiting for the younger group to find its feet but I can see Myers getting squeezed by the end of the year if we get a good run with injuries and form with a certain group of players.

He was never quick though
Pre hamstrings he was very, very quick.

Quote from Dodoro:

Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said Hooker had a bright future.

"We see him as a developing tall defender, and he can play as a roaming forward as well," he said.

"He tested as one of the quickest at last year's screening camp in WA (2.79sec for 20m). We think he's got a very good future with us.

"He's got a great attitude and a great work ethic and a real will to make it."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...f9ece6ff5?sv=ddea6a847acc6a4832d15d949ba48ba2

Pre hamstrings he was very, very quick.

Quote from Dodoro:

Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro said Hooker had a bright future.

"We see him as a developing tall defender, and he can play as a roaming forward as well," he said.

"He tested as one of the quickest at last year's screening camp in WA (2.79sec for 20m). We think he's got a very good future with us.

"He's got a great attitude and a great work ethic and a real will to make it."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...f9ece6ff5?sv=ddea6a847acc6a4832d15d949ba48ba2
He may have tested well but I don't think I've seen him use that speed

He may have tested well but I don't think I've seen him use that speed

He could run with Franklin and Riewoldt as a second year player in 2009. I remember being so frustrated with Buddy because I thought that Hooker had beaten him on the lead or 1v1 all night only for Buddy to crumb 5 goals. He then got struck with the spate of hamstring injuries and his gate started to become more and more awkward.

It seemed to me that this year he was heavier (stronger) and slower than when he played in 2015.

Really hoping we can improve our centre clearances in 2018. Might be worth giving the package a go as first inside mid (please not Myers). He could rotate with BJ, Zakka even Parish/Langford. This team looks strong;-

Francis Ambrose McGrath
Gleeson Hurley Saad
Zakka Stringer Parish
Smith Daniher Fanta
Stewart Hooker Tippa

Bellcho Heppell Merrett

BJ, McKenna, Langford, Baguley

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've been watching some 2017 replays (over keen).

For me -
Hartley - Was a MASSIVE liability. I want Hooker back.

1st:

B: Saad Hurley McKenna
HB: Gleeson Hooker Francis

C: Goddard Heppell Zakarakis
Foll: BChambers ZMerrett Parish

HF: Laverde Daniher Tippa
F: Fantasia Stringer Stewart

B: Langford Begley McGrath Smith

Emg: Myers Colyer Ambrose

VFL:

B: McNiece Ambrose Baguely
HB: Dea Harley Ridley

C: Colyer Mutch Long
Foll: Lberger Myers Clarke

HF: Redman McKernan JMerrett
F: Green Brown Draper

B: Pick #48, pick# 67, Lavender, Rookie

Hartley cops some serious s**t on here. Was in our top 5 in the final by a mile. Only key defender who's man didn't kick a goal.

Last I checked, we played 23 games last year...
Yep, and the fact he was selected in the most important one AND did is role very well suggests that he gets harshly treated on here.

He also did pretty well against the likes of Dixon, Buddy and Patton earlier in the year...

Yep, and the fact he was selected in the most important one AND did is role very well suggests that he gets harshly treated on here.

He also did pretty well against the likes of Dixon, Buddy and Patton earlier in the year...
Riiiight, because he was selected for the final and played well in that one game means people's opinions of him as a player, taking in his entire year and career, are inaccurate.

Maybe, the fact he was dropped multiple times for the year suggests the coaching staff have a similar "harsh" view of his year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riiiight, because he was selected for the final and played well in that one game means people's opinions of him as a player, taking in his entire year and career, are inaccurate.

Maybe, the fact he was dropped multiple times for the year suggests the coaching staff have a similar "harsh" view of his year.
He was top 5 in a final. /Argument

Basing your assessment on one game is always a dumb argument. Nevertheless, statistically Hartley measures up pretty well against the leagues best key backmen and that suggests that he is underrated by many on this board. Potentially even underrated by the coaching staff who - while obviously knowledgeable of the game - can make mistakes.

ChampionData ranked Hartley in the top 20 key position defenders during the 2017 season. In a league with 18 teams that is no small achievement. He's not as good as Hooker - even now after not playing defense for a couple of seasons - but those who believe he is a liability or not AFL standard are well off the mark.

Lol that is literally the worst argument I've heard. Thought you were better tbh.

Considering how few players actually stood up in the final, I’ve gotta agree with eth-dog on this. He’ll never be the attacking weapon that players like Hurley or Hooker are but he doesn’t need to be.

If we can continue to rely on him to keep the oppositions best forward quiet every week, I’m happy with that. He is one of the very few players we have who plays tough uncompromising footy, in fact in terms of defensive pressure and one percenters according to the stats on Footywire Hartley was twice as good as Hurley (who himself was better than Ambrose who everyone on here keeps trying to talk up) in those areas.

I don't know why we have to have these polarised arguments which are completely divorced from reality.

Hartley was dropped twice and would have been dropped more or left in the twos longer had it not been for injuries. He played a few games, e.g. against Josh Kennedy, where it looked like he made improvements in his overall game, but he was generally poor and well short of the player he was last year.

As for his final, how well could he have played? Did he destroy Reid or was Reid impersonating a witches hat? Defenders get far too much credit for forwards doing nothing.

We're talking about our biggest key defender not being moved from the Swans most ineffective tall when we were getting belted in the air. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Hartley's game.

As for champion data, Hartley has good spoil numbers and he is a beautiful kick so his numbers will look quite good. I like Hartley, and his story, and want him to succeed, as much as anyone here other than eth-dog, but it would the height of dis-ingenuousness to interpret his spoil numbers as some sort of control of his opponent in 1v1 contests. The numbers will be padded by crashing some packs and killing contests that way. I can't think of any games this year where he destroyed an opponents the way he did to Bruce last year, for example.

I don't know why we have to have these polarised arguments which are completely divorced from reality.

Hartley was dropped twice and would have been dropped more or left in the twos longer had it not been for injuries. He played a few games, e.g. against Josh Kennedy, where it looked like he made improvements in his overall game, but he was generally poor and well short of the player he was last year.

As for his final, how well could he have played? Did he destroy Reid or was Reid impersonating a witches hat? Defenders get far too much credit for forwards doing nothing.

We're talking about our biggest key defender not being moved from the Swans most ineffective tall when we were getting belted in the air. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Hartley's game.

As for champion data, Hartley has good spoil numbers and he is a beautiful kick so his numbers will look quite good. I like Hartley, and his story, and want him to succeed, as much as anyone here other than eth-dog, but it would the height of dis-ingenuousness to interpret his spoil numbers as some sort of control of his opponent in 1v1 contests. The numbers will be padded by crashing some packs and killing contests that way. I can't think of any games this year where he destroyed an opponents the way he did to Bruce last year, for example.
He monstered Dixon, who had like 5 touches

I just hope that one of Hartley or Ambrose gain some real consistency next year. Either one is fine, i'm not a fussy man. Trouble is that they have both tracked along a similar "almost good enough for top four but not quite" pathway so far.

You didn't get the memo, opinions aren't allowed, cos he played a good final.

Hartley is a valuable player. He's in. Out based on opposition maybe? Not really though.
Ambrose is in. Have I previously mentioned about him being a midfield bull? Back and midfield for mine.
Best form gets every player in team. These blokes will push for inclusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back