Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

These sides need more Begley.
He fished at least even with Lav end of last year after only a small number of games and yet Lav is a walk up start to many teams here.

Word on Ferntree Gully road is that this kid has been doing a lot of extra training and lost a few kegs to boot. I heard that he actually looks bigger...

Smashing ball Begley.

Yes love to see Begles line up r1

Our list depth is beginning to get that look about it...

That look of a team up the pointy end who 'cant fit em all in' and other teams come in to poach promising more opportunities

Now's when your buy in culture needs to kick in.

He fished at least even with Lav end of last year after only a small number of games and yet Lav is a walk up start to many teams here.

Word on Ferntree Gully road is that this kid has been doing a lot of extra training and lost a few kegs to boot. I heard that he actually looks bigger...

Smashing ball Begley.

My guess is that he's in for the Langford treatment next year. He will be mid 1-3 in the VFL team and spend the year learning the position.

He finished last year a better option than Laverde but that is in the context of Laverde struggling back from injury. He's still two years younger.

I doubt we'll see much of the first, second and even third year players from now unless they are exceptional.

I'm not saying Gleeson didn't have a good second half of the year (after a frankly garbage 1st half), I'm saying in the long run Ridley is going to be the better, more consistent player and if it came down to a choice between those two I'd pick Ridley every time if he were ready.
Haha this isn't the DP mate. Gleeson is 23 years old and has produced some scintillating football and shown great consistency in the second half of the season. Ridley has played half a dozen VFL games. Grass is always greener...

Smashing ball Begley.
One thing I'm confident of, once Begley is best 22, we are a better team for it. But may depend if people are listing our R1 or R23 team.

There's probably at most 2 spots for Begley, Lav and Lang. I'd say the biggest thing that may restrict Begley is how much can he participate in mid rotations, as we're going to be relying on a lot of people rotating through the middle. If he's burning up the track over pre-season, I dare say he's in the 22 come R1, if not, he may work his way in over the season.

Smashing ball Begley.

Yep. Begley and Baguley both best 22. We need their hardness.

FB: Saad, Ambrose, Gleeson
HB: Goddard, Hurley, McKenna
C: McGrath, Heppell, Zaharakis
HF: Stringer, Daniher, Smith
FF: Fantasia, Hooker, Stewart
Foll: Bellchambers, Merrett, Langford
INT: Laverde, Mutch, Parish, Tippa

22-25: Leuenberger, Myers, Begley

Getting harder and harder to pick, although I wish I felt like I wasn't reaching to include Langford and Laverde in their respective positions. There will be intense competition for midfield spots on the interchange bench and for the third tall position in this teem I think.

Looking forward to seeing how our best 22 unfolds in 2018. May not click straight away with so many new players entering our system but when it does will become as exciting as ever.

Anyways, the best 22 could seriously challenge for a top 4 berth.

B. Mark Baguley - Michael Hartley - Martin Gleeson
HB. Conor McKenna - Michael Hurley - Adam Saad
C. Andrew McGrath - Zac Merrett - David Zaharakis
HF. James Stewart - Joe Daniher - Devon Smith
F. Anthony MCDonald~Tipungwuti - Cale Hooker - Orazio Fantasia
R. Tom Bellchamber - Dyson Heppell - David Myers
I/C - Kyle Langford - Jake Stringer - Brendon Goddard - Josh Begley

That is a seriously talented team. The bench was tough to pick with up to 8 players in contention after terrific 2017's.

Looking forward to seeing how the VFL team takes shape as well.

B. Matt Dea - Paddy Ambrose - Ben McNeice
HB. Aaron Francis - James Ferry - Jake Long
C. Kobe Mutch - Dylan Clarke - Travis Colyer
HF. Mason Redman - Mitch Brown - Jayden Laverde
F. Josh Green - Alex Boyse - Jackson Merrett
R. Sam Draper - Heath Hocking (c) - Dylan Clarke
I/C - Shaun McKernan - Matt Guelfi - Jordan Houlihan - Trent Mynott - Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk~Thatcher

Few VFL listed guys will be required to set up around the AFL listed guys but are as good as any in the VFL. Look forward to see if we can go past those pesky Footscray Bulldogs in a final this year after back to back elimination final losses.

Almost certain the 3rd person standing alongside Z.Merrett and Heppell at the first bounce of the year is either a Stringer, D.Smith, Tippa playing the Rioli role alongside a Mitchell + Hodge/Lewis

Look at the scoring power on the forward line.....hate to be playing in a backline against them. :(

The overall scoring power across the ground potentially could improve to another level whereby our Scoring Power will be pretty awesome in 2018. This is given Stringer and Smith had poor years by their standards due to personal issues and injury. All playing are pretty elite in kicking skills.
Woosha loves dudes who hit targets.

PLAYERS WITH 2017 GOALS IN BRACKETS AFTER NAME

BACKS BAGS HARTLEY MCKENNA (5)

HALF BACKS FRANCIS (2) HURLEY (2) SAAD (3)

CENTRES ZACH (9) HEPPEL (11) ANDY McG. (1)

HALF FORWARDS STEWART(22) HOOKER (41) AMT (34)

FORWARDS STRINGER (24) DANIHER (65) RAZ (39 DIDN'T PLAY LAST 4 WEEKS OF SEASON)

TBELL (9) GODDARD (5) SMITH (15)

I/C BEGLEY (5 IN 3 GAMES), ZAKA (11), PARISH (7), GREEN (17 BEFORE INJURY)

NEXT IN ORDER AND WHY NOT IN TEAM.

- GLEESON – UNTIL HE PUTS MUSCLE ONTO FRAME HE WILL BE TOO EASILY PUSHED OFF THE BALL EG SYDNEY AND HE WAS JUST CHUCKED OUT OF THE WAY BY THAT RANGA.

- RIDLEY – WILL BE WATCHING HIM CLOSELY AS WILL EVERYONE DOWN BACK

- MUTCH – VERY, VERY CLOSE

- LEUY – PICKED THE WORST TIME TO GET SICK LAST SEASON. SO CLOSE (1)

- MYERS – POOR DECISION MAKER. GOT TALENT BUT RARELY SHOWS IT. (4)

- BROWN – PLAYING WELL UNTIL THAT BAD INJURY

- AMBROSE – IF ONE OF THE BACK TALLS GOES DOWN STRAIGHT IN

- LANGFORD – STILL NOT CONVINCED (3)

- COLYER – HITS THE BALL TOO HARD AND FUMBLES CONSTANTLY IN TIGHT (12)

- LAVERDE – WILL MAKE IT WHEN GETS CONFIDENCE IN HIS BODY. HAD BAD LUCK WITH LTI. (1)

- DEA – FEEL FOR HIM. WAS GREAT IN 2016 UNDER TERRIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES AND HE IS BEHIND THE 8 BALL

- CLARKE - GOOD WRAPS AS A BIG BODIED MID. A WATCH

- RECRUITS – VFL SEASON BECKONS AND CONDITIONING AWAITS. A WATCH ON GUELPHI THOUGH.....

Looking forward to seeing how our best 22 unfolds in 2018. May not click straight away with so many new players entering our system but when it does will become as exciting as ever.

Anyways, the best 22 could seriously challenge for a top 4 berth.

B. Mark Baguley - Michael Hartley - Martin Gleeson
HB. Conor McKenna - Michael Hurley - Adam Saad
C. Andrew McGrath - Zac Merrett - David Zaharakis
HF. James Stewart - Joe Daniher - Devon Smith
F. Anthony MCDonald~Tipungwuti - Cale Hooker - Orazio Fantasia
R. Tom Bellchamber - Dyson Heppell - David Myers
I/C - Kyle Langford - Jake Stringer - Brendon Goddard - Josh Begley

That is a seriously talented team. The bench was tough to pick with up to 8 players in contention after terrific 2017's.

Looking forward to seeing how the VFL team takes shape as well.

I/C - Shaun McKernan - Matt Guelfi - Jordan Houlihan - Trent Mynott - Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk~Thatcher

Few VFL listed guys will be required to set up around the AFL listed guys but are as good as any in the VFL. Look forward to see if we can go past those pesky Footscray Bulldogs in a final this year after back to back elimination final losses.

As crazy as it would be, given his quality, Ferry might struggle to get a game in the twos next year. This is especially the case in light of Paul Corrigan, I think it was, in an end-of-year wrap, talking about VFL results being secondary to player development and preparing players for the AFL team.

Your VFL team has no Leuenberger or Lavender with McKernan, Ridley and Zerk-Thatcher on the bench. Leuenberger simply has to play to stay fit in the event that we need the back up. I can't see us not playing Lavender as he is a project to provide us with a Hooker replacement in the long term. McKernan will play as the main key forward (probably at CHF) because he's the current back-up for Hooker (though it doesn't look like we'll necessarily use him).

It's much the same with Zerk-Thatcher, there is no point taking on a project tall and then not giving him the opportunities to develop.

We need to work out whether these projects are worth persisting with sooner rather than later. Look at Draper, he's probably already someone on whom we can base our future planning. We can take a lot of confidence from him playing as number 1 a few times this year and playing very well (exceeding all expectations as far as I'm concerned). We've also just re-signed him for two years.

Ridley's form will speak for itself but even if it didn't we'd give him every opportunity. We might play Ridley in the middle or on a wing. I can't see him not being a starting 18 player which, in the VFL, is important because the last few named on the bench tend to play minimal game time.

Starting with an AFL 22 which is a bit speculative:

Saad Hartley Gleeson
McKenna Hurley Francis

Bellchambers Merrett Heppell
Stringer Zaharakis McGrath

Stewart Daniher Laverde
Fantasia Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti

Goddard Parish Langford Smith

Emergencies: Myers, Baguley and Colyer. I'm deliberately keeping these three out of the two sides for a few reasons. While I think that Myers is the only one of the three who is likely to start the season in a best 22 these guys were in the side in 2017. It also makes sense to hold-over the experienced guys who will cope better without game time, etc. They'll obviously play almost each week (meaning that there will be a re-shuffle).

I don't think that it's necessarily the best balanced team we could pick to win games but, that's not how we pick the VFL side and, if everyone is fit I think that the VFL lineup next year would be:

Dea Ambrose McNiece
Long Brown Zerk-Thatcher

Leuenberger Begley Mutch
Clarke Redman Ridley (Ridley as defensive winger/seventh defender)

Houlahan McKernan Boyse
Draper Lavender Green

Hocking (c) Merrett Mynott Guelfi

I don't know where that leaves Ferry. He's probably good enough that he gets selected anyway.

There is no doubting that the forward line will have its teething troubles given that McKernan would be the most 'natural' of the key forwards. Appreciate that Brown could be used here but then it means that there is no role for one of the other listed talls. If we can fit our listed talls into the structure that we want the sides to play, they will play even if they're not best 22. Green and Boyse are both very good operators and are experienced so it should help.

The best way I think of using Draper and Lavender is to rotate them between second ruck/KPF3 and playing as the second tall forward. When selected as the second tall forward that player would not play ruck at all (at least not in the middle of the ground and not unless there was an injury). I don't know whether it's a week by week selection or whether it should be done in blocks (e.g. fortnightly or monthly) to let the guys develop a bit of rhythm. Both will need to learn to play as forwards as being able to play as key forwards as well as ruckmen is the future for players of their size.

It's possible the Begley could play himself into the AFL best 22 but I don't think it will happen yet. I think we'll see him developed as a midfielder in 2018 so that for 2019 he can be selected as both a forward and in the middle. I'm anticipating similar frustration to that which we had with Langford this year.

I'd definitely like to see Long start in defence to help to emphasise the transition between defence and attack. He has the defensive discipline and now needs to add a more aggressive running/attacking game. The relative simplicity of playing at half back, compared to the wing, will help him.

Begley and Clarke in the middle together will be like the Bash Brothers.

Last edited:
.....it was, in an end-of-year wrap, talking about VFL results being secondary to player development and preparing players for the AFL team.

Gees we should bloody hope so! Would be negligent and foolish to think otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will spew if Laverde is playing on a flank in the reserves while a delisted Hocking is playing midfield.

I will spew if Laverde is playing on a flank in the reserves while a delisted Hocking is playing midfield.
I can agree, but I wonder where else Buddha can play in a developing side as captain and provide benefit?

I can agree, but I wonder where else Buddha can play in a developing side as captain and provide benefit?
Anywhere but midfield, playing him in the middle doesn't help our VFL mids at all. They shouldn't need protecting at the level. Guys like Clarke, Mutch and Begley are already big enough to handle themselves at VFL level.

Probably don't need 2x Dylan Clarkes keeping Laverde out of the middle.

I pray we don't go in with only 2 key defenders and Gleeson as a 3rd tall, unless we're playing Richmond.

It was a stupid way to name a team (i.e. the team on the website). Two or three talls were on the bench which makes no sense given that they rotated less and that form the structure around which the rest of the team is based. The smalls are the ones rotated heavily so it makes more sense to name them on the bench.

Look at the scoring power on the forward line.....hate to be playing in a backline against them. :(

The overall scoring power across the ground potentially could improve to another level whereby our Scoring Power will be pretty awesome in 2018. This is given Stringer and Smith had poor years by their standards due to personal issues and injury. All playing are pretty elite in kicking skills.
Woosha loves dudes who hit targets.

PLAYERS WITH 2017 GOALS IN BRACKETS AFTER NAME

BACKS BAGS HARTLEY MCKENNA (5)

HALF BACKS FRANCIS (2) HURLEY (2) SAAD (3)

CENTRES ZACH (9) HEPPEL (11) ANDY McG. (1)

HALF FORWARDS STEWART(22) HOOKER (41) AMT (34)

FORWARDS STRINGER (24) DANIHER (65) RAZ (39 DIDN'T PLAY LAST 4 WEEKS OF SEASON)

TBELL (9) GODDARD (5) SMITH (15)

I/C BEGLEY (5 IN 3 GAMES), ZAKA (11), PARISH (7), GREEN (17 BEFORE INJURY)

NEXT IN ORDER AND WHY NOT IN TEAM.

- GLEESON – UNTIL HE PUTS MUSCLE ONTO FRAME HE WILL BE TOO EASILY PUSHED OFF THE BALL EG SYDNEY AND HE WAS JUST CHUCKED OUT OF THE WAY BY THAT RANGA.

- RIDLEY – WILL BE WATCHING HIM CLOSELY AS WILL EVERYONE DOWN BACK

- MUTCH – VERY, VERY CLOSE

- LEUY – PICKED THE WORST TIME TO GET SICK LAST SEASON. SO CLOSE (1)

- MYERS – POOR DECISION MAKER. GOT TALENT BUT RARELY SHOWS IT. (4)

- BROWN – PLAYING WELL UNTIL THAT BAD INJURY

- AMBROSE – IF ONE OF THE BACK TALLS GOES DOWN STRAIGHT IN

- LANGFORD – STILL NOT CONVINCED (3)

- COLYER – HITS THE BALL TOO HARD AND FUMBLES CONSTANTLY IN TIGHT (12)

- LAVERDE – WILL MAKE IT WHEN GETS CONFIDENCE IN HIS BODY. HAD BAD LUCK WITH LTI. (1)

- DEA – FEEL FOR HIM. WAS GREAT IN 2016 UNDER TERRIBLE CIRCUMSTANCES AND HE IS BEHIND THE 8 BALL

- CLARKE - GOOD WRAPS AS A BIG BODIED MID. A WATCH

- RECRUITS – VFL SEASON BECKONS AND CONDITIONING AWAITS. A WATCH ON GUELPHI THOUGH.....

That forwardline looks very strong, my only issue with your assessment is Ambrose, we look better when he is in the side and before his injury he was our best defender so for mine he is in the starting 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back