Team Mgmt. 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I would rather Stewart as 2nd ruck, he's getting bigger and stronger. He also stated he played midfield before a growth spurt so should be able to find it after completing the ruck contest.
He won't star in the role but is a better option than ambrose and protects Daniher from an unnecessary injury.
seems to be teams rarely carry 2 ruckmen anymore.
Port used Trengrove and Westhoff at times
Sydney use Tippet
Dogs use Boyd or Roughead.

interesting to see what happens

seems to be teams rarely carry 2 ruckmen anymore.
Port used Trengrove and Westhoff at times
Sydney use Tippet
Dogs use Boyd or Roughead.

interesting to see what happens

Definitely can't have two ruckmen but you definitely want a 2m forward who plays close to goal who can play second ruck.

That's not really Stewart's go, and his workload is already huge, and Joe is far too valuable to keep playing in the ruck. Ideally Hooker would be that player given that he covers the least amount of ground.

It's why I'm loving the potential of Lavender.

Definitely can't have two ruckmen but you definitely want a 2m forward who plays close to goal who can play second ruck.

That's not really Stewart's go, and his workload is already huge, and Joe is far too valuable to keep playing in the ruck. Ideally Hooker would be that player given that he covers the least amount of ground.

It's why I'm loving the potential of Lavender.

We've already got 3 taller forward types in Stewart, Daniher and Hooker. I reckon we just rotate which one we use as the second ruck. So instead of Daniher spending 20% of his time in the ruck maybe he spends 10% so maybe goes into the ruck every second quarter and Stewart/Hooker take the other 2 quarters. Have all 3 spend a bit of time practicing ruck technique in the preseason so they are ready as required. Basically the old adage - train as you mean to play.

The days of 2 genuine ruckman are pretty much over - every team is using a tall key position player to be their second ruck or else an even shorter player eg Richmond.

The best way to avoid playing non rucks in the ruck is to get a ruck with elite endurance that can handle big minutes. Mind you - even they tend to get worn down a bit as the years go on - looking at Goldstein now. Unfortunately Bellchambers doesn't seem to have a big tank - hopefully if he gets a better preseason he'll go better in that area.

I think the real issue there is the idiocy on the part of Grigg's opposition.

Why drop the ball into congestion when you can dominate the hit out?
Set your fastest runner on the outside of the stoppage. Smash it forward. Profit.

I'm amazed Adelaide didnt do this to be honest. I was screaming at them to on grand final day. At the centre bounce Jacobs just needed to punch it forward as far as he could and get his mids to just run forward.
Problem with Adelaide was that their fast runners were s**t (David Mackay), playing injured (Charlie Cameron) or not in the midfield. Richmond would have been able to halve the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with Adelaide was that their fast runners were s**t (David Mackay), playing injured (Charlie Cameron) or not in the midfield. Richmond would have been able to halve the contest.
I think you are being a little harsh on Adelaide's running stocks there. Betts was having a stinker up forward and they could have moved him out there to get his hands on it, Mackay is Adelaide's Brent Stanton (whipping boy who does a lot of good things but his mistakes are obvious and highlighted), Atkins is a Jet.... More than enough options.

Besides, you dont need to be lightning quick, none of Richmonds midfielders are 'speedy'. But if you have a jump on your opposition by knowing exactly where the ball is going to go you can get 2-3 steps on them easily which will help you break into space. If a guy is running off the back of the square unopposed in space then all they need is for the ball to be knocked in their general direction to get a break.

I think you are being a little harsh on Adelaide's running stocks there. Betts was having a stinker up forward and they could have moved him out there to get his hands on it, Mackay is Adelaide's Brent Stanton (whipping boy who does a lot of good things but his mistakes are obvious and highlighted), Atkins is a Jet.... More than enough options.

Besides, you dont need to be lightning quick, none of Richmonds midfielders are 'speedy'. But if you have a jump on your opposition by knowing exactly where the ball is going to go you can get 2-3 steps on them easily which will help you break into space. If a guy is running off the back of the square unopposed in space then all they need is for the ball to be knocked in their general direction to get a break.
Mackay is Adelaide's Jake Melksham (Essendon version). Shows something 3-4 times a year but is otherwise near useless. 10 year career, has averaged 20 disposals once in his career, never averaged more than 0.6 goals a season, never more than 2 rebound 50's a game. The bloke is a spud and it's amazing how he's managed to carve out a near 200 game career of being a bloke who can run fast. Atkins was playing injured as well IIRC.

B Gleeson - Hurley - Francis
HB McGrath - Hartley - McKenna
C Zaharakis - Parish - Colyer
HF Begley - Daniher - Tipungwuti
F Fantasia - Hooker - Stewart
R Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
I Goddard - Langford - Laverde - Mutch

Might re-do with the additions (assuming Stringer).

Stringer is obviously interesting. At 192cm (or 6'4 in the old), he makes the forward line very tall. I don't buy the midfield stuff... he's a forward, he knows where the goals are, and that's important.

For mine the one who drops out is Hooker... which in funny, I was against him being forward for so long and have finally come around to it. But I don't know who else we move out of the forward line. I really don't want to see less than three small, quick players (which I have as Fanta, Tippa and Begley), as I reckon that's a great weapon of our's. Daniher and Stewart obviously aren't going anywhere... so that leaves Hooker, who coincidentally is an AA backman...

B Gleeson - Hurley - Hooker
HB McGrath - Hartley - McKenna
C Zaharakis - Parish - Colyer
HF Begley - Daniher - Tipungwuti
F Fantasia - Stewart - Stringer
R Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
I Goddard - Langford - Smith - Saad

So for me it's Francis, Laverde and Mutch out for 3S.

Current prediction:

Ambrose Hartley Saad
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Bellchambers Merrett Heppell
Myers Zaharakis Smith

Stewart Daniher Fantasia
Stringer Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti

McGrath Parish Laverde Goddard

If we are looking at playing the seven defenders we have played this year, there are a few options. McGrath and Goddard would be the ones to drop back based on what suits. I would like to see Goddard play a lot as a defensive winger.

Our preference appears to be three genuine tall defenders. Was heartened to hear Worsfold say that he sees a lot of development/improvement in Hartley. If Brown and Ambrose had been fit we'd have seen a lot less of him this year as he clearly struggled to develop his game. It's a much softer spot light in the VFL and I think that people forget that he's only just entering the age that most KPPs start to look comfortable (and he doesn't have 50 games to his name yet).

I don't see how Baguley fits into the side, it's not just because I don't rate him.

I'm starting with Myers because we need the grunt and he'll play predominately defensive roles around stoppages. Given the signings, I expect that Begley will fall of the pace a bit which is fine as he's still only a kid and will be a full two years behind Laverde by the time round 1 comes around. I expect that Langford will be pushing for a spot in the side sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I personally think that Baguley won’t make our best 22, there were games last year where he struggled with the pace of the game

I can't see him in the best 22 at the end of the year.

I'd suggest Hurley/McKenna/Gleeson/Saad are pretty much locks in the backline, and I think Ambrose, if he can return to early 2017 form, will also hold his spot.

I think it's then between Hartley and Bags, depending on match ups. Hopefully guys like Ridley & Redman (& Francis?) also come into the equation at some point during the year.

Exactly! Took zero advantage, just directed the ball to the me of tigers
Face forward, let it fall to your hips, grab it and kick it before anyone can tackle you. Hand to foot.

If they're not contesting, you should be able to grab it and kick it before anyone can react. If they get too close in anticipation, engage them and they're out of the contest, tap as normal.

Better yet, have a spot diagonal where you know you're going to kick it and have somebody moving in that direction before-hand.

Rather than sharking the tap, you're sharking a kick into the forward line.

Ruckmen just showed how braindead they really are by not being able to figure out a counter to the tactic.

A big fist to a pre-determined spot would also work well, have the forwards and mids running to a spot where they know the ball will go.

FB: Ambrose, Hartley, Gleeson
HB: Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C: McGrath, Merrett, Zaharakis
HF: Stringer, Daniher, Fantasia
FF: Smith, Hooker, McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers, Heppell, Parish
IC: Langford, Myers, Begley, Goddard

There are plenty of things to think about:
  • Can we really play all of Daniher, Hooker, Stewart and Stringer in a single forward-line?
  • If not who misses or plays another role? Hooker could easily go back - assuming fitness - but he plays a unique role as a stay-at-home forward who creates a contest. Does Stewart miss? Which would be a shame given his improvement throughout 2017.
  • If Hooker was to go back do we play him alongside Hartley / Ambrose and Hurley or does he replace Hartley / Ambrose? Do we want three tall defenders or just two or do we make a decision depending on opponent personnel?
  • I'd like to see McGrath used, on occasion, in a tagging capacity. I want him to run with some of the best midfielders so that he gets a feel for how they go about it. I also don't think it would do any harm to utilise his defensive instincts against some of the opposition's better midfielders.
  • I see Fantasia spending a lot more time running through the middle. He will become a more regular part of the midfield rotation.
  • The midfield still needs a lot of work to become a top-4 side. A lot will depend on the progress of Langford and the improvement in youngsters such as McGrath and Parish. Can Myers regain his old form now that he has a solid season behind him? And if not is there anyone waiting in the wings to steal his spot (perhaps Laverde)?

Bags Ambrose Saad
McKenna Hurley Gleeson

Bellchambers Merrett Heppell
Myers Zaharakis Smith

Stewart Daniher Fantasia
Stringer Hooker McDonald-Tipungwuti

McGrath Parish Laverde Goddard

It's interesting to consider our 2018 best 22 likely output vs 2017.

Negative side - We lose Watson and Kelly while BJ may well slow down somewhat.

Positive side - For the sake of argument and it keep things tidy, i'm going to say that Smith might replace Watsons output. He may not get so many touches but i would expect his ball use to be better than Watson's 2017 form. Smith may be much better of course, but i'm going with a conservative take.
Saad could be considered to replace Pops output. Different style of player of course, but the net gain may well be similar.

To offset any downturn in BJ's output, we have the following factors.
1. Between Heppell, Myers, Hooker and Colyer we should see a net gain in output as a result of their second preseason back. They may not all improve, but i would expect one or two of them will at least.

2. We can expect improvement in the following players; Ambrose - who struggled to return from injury. Gleeson - despite fluctuations, does keep getting better. Parish and Stewart - Look to have a ton of upside. Fantasia and Walla - Were already awesome, but i expect will have more impact in the midfield.

3. Then we have that second tier that we keep thinking will finally break through. Hartley is already borderline of course, but then Laverde, Langford, Francis and Begley are all poised. I've given up my optimism in thinking they will all make it, but i think it is still reasonable to expect one or two of this lot to take a significant step up this year.

4. The x-factor of Stringer. A 50 50 roll of the die.

5. Depth is once again improved with greater maturity among the second tier.

So the result looks to me like a pretty big win for 2018 provided our better players maintain form and injuries don't cripple us. Lid is off if we can solve the problem of a big bodied inside mid either through current stocks or through game plan and our fleet of tough small mids.

FB: Ambrose, Hartley, Gleeson
HB: Saad, Hurley, McKenna
C: McGrath, Merrett, Zaharakis
HF: Stringer, Daniher, Fantasia
FF: Smith, Hooker, McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers, Heppell, Parish
IC: Langford, Myers, Begley, Goddard

There are plenty of things to think about:
  • Can we really play all of Daniher, Hooker, Stewart and Stringer in a single forward-line?
  • If not who misses or plays another role? Hooker could easily go back - assuming fitness - but he plays a unique role as a stay-at-home forward who creates a contest. Does Stewart miss? Which would be a shame given his improvement throughout 2017.
  • If Hooker was to go back do we play him alongside Hartley / Ambrose and Hurley or does he replace Hartley / Ambrose? Do we want three tall defenders or just two or do we make a decision depending on opponent personnel?
  • I'd like to see McGrath used, on occasion, in a tagging capacity. I want him to run with some of the best midfielders so that he gets a feel for how they go about it. I also don't think it would do any harm to utilise his defensive instincts against some of the opposition's better midfielders.
  • I see Fantasia spending a lot more time running through the middle. He will become a more regular part of the midfield rotation.
  • The midfield still needs a lot of work to become a top-4 side. A lot will depend on the progress of Langford and the improvement in youngsters such as McGrath and Parish. Can Myers regain his old form now that he has a solid season behind him? And if not is there anyone waiting in the wings to steal his spot (perhaps Laverde)?

I'm not sure that this will make any sense but if the forward line doesn't work with Stewart it's no more likely to work without. He's as important to our forward pressure as Tippa is. Whereas Tippa is explosive bursts Stewart is grinding out huge kms at an elite pace.

If Stringer is 'too tall' it is only an attitude thing because he clearly has the ability to play as a mid-sized forward (both in an attacking and defensive sense). If he was that much of an issue, the real problem becomes what to do with Hooker and Stringer because they're the ones who would create the defensive problems in the forward line.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back