2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be happy for us to just play the ten players we can most afford to get injured.

Keep our A graders and elite youth away from it. Rookies and players past their prime would be ideal.

- D Pearce
- Spurr
- Sutcliffe
- Ballantyne
- Jones
- Strdanica
- Duman
- Grey
- Banfield
- Giro

If it were up to me I'd be getting Mzungu to pull on the boots too.

I thought meima did that

Where do you guys see Brennan Cox playing next year. As a key forward or down back? I rate him very highly. His contested marking is excellent. If not for his inaccuracy he could’ve kicked around 10-15 goals last year.

I'd be happy for us to just play the ten players we can most afford to get injured.

Keep our A graders and elite youth away from it. Rookies and players past their prime would be ideal.

- D Pearce
- Spurr
- Sutcliffe
- Ballantyne
- Jones
- Strdanica
- Duman
- Grey
- Banfield
- Giro

If it were up to me I'd be getting Mzungu to pull on the boots too.
3 games aren’t there? Round robin? Stephen O’Reilly anyone???? :thumbsu:

Where do you guys see Brennan Cox playing next year. As a key forward or down back? I rate him very highly. His contested marking is excellent. If not for his inaccuracy he could’ve kicked around 10-15 goals last year.
I think he'll play forward unless we need him back because of injuries, he's probably 5th in line for KPD and 3rd for KPF.

I think he'll play forward unless we need him back because of injuries, he's probably 5th in line for KPD and 3rd for KPF.
I agree, but if he was slated to be a KPD then I think he would be higher than 5th in line; Hamling, Pearce, Cox (ignoring MJ). What Logue becomes is a real grey area for me, but if Pearce is not going to become our 2nd KPD then one of Logue/Cox will need to take that spot.

I agree, but if he was slated to be a KPD then I think he would be higher than 5th in line; Hamling, Pearce, Cox (ignoring MJ). What Logue becomes is a real grey area for me, but if Pearce is not going to become our 2nd KPD then one of Logue/Cox will need to take that spot.
Yeah I was just trying to give a rough placement. At the moment I'd have Logue before Cox as a KPD, what Logue ends up becoming is hard to predict but he's played as a KPD so I think he'll continue to develop as the 3rd tall who spends time on KPFs. I'm not counting out MJ in the ordering just yet, I didn't expect him to play many games last year but he played all 22 and our defense is still fairly inexperienced. So Cox is 4th - 5th

As for where he ranks as a KPF it depends on if you consider McCarthy a KPF, I think it's fair to consider as Cox as our 2nd in line KPF if you make the distinction between KPF and 3rd tall/tall HFF

Agree. I can see him at FF in 2020 with Dixon at CHF and Tabs and Ape will be a distant memory. We'll be like "remember a couple of years ago when our forward line was s**t."

For what it is worth I think our best 22 may end up mirroring our drafting/trading and we try and bring in as many good kicks as possible. Using that as a guide I think Cerra should play early as a half forward with a little time at half back. I also think Tucker and Hughes will be the two most improved players in 2018 and that Blakely will play as both a negating/ball winning half back and a negating ball winning mid so I haven't got Spurr in the team as I think Hughes could also play a shutdown role. Unlike some I think Darcy could be pretty decent forward and dynamic in the ruck if he can go against the opposition second ruck for 30 to 40% of game time so he is also in the team. Weakness of this team is forward pressure.

My best 22:
B: Hughes Hamling Wilson
HB: Ryan A.Pearce Blakely
C: B.Hill Neale Tucker
R: Sandy Fyfe S.Hill
HF: Cerra McCarthy Walters
FF: Bennell Tabs/Cox(Depending on form) Matera

I/C Mundy, Brayshaw, Logue, Darcy

Em: Langdon, Balla, Spurr, Kersten

Last edited:
For what it is worth I think our best 22 may end up mirroring our drafting/trading and we try and bring in as many good kicks as possible. Using that as a guide I think Cerra should play early as a half forward with a little time at half back. I also think Tucker and Hughes will be the two most improved players in 2018 and that Blakely will play as both a negating/ball winning half back and a negating ball winning mid so I haven't got Spurr in the team as I think Hughes could also play a shutdown role. Unlike some I think Darcy could be pretty decent forward and dynamic in the ruck if he can go against the opposition second ruck for 30 to 40% of game time so he is also in the team. Weakness of this team is forward pressure.

My best 22:
B: Hughes Hamling Wilson
HB: Ryan A.Pearce Blakely
C: B.Hill Neale Tucker
R: Sandy Fyfe S.Hill
HF: Cerra McCarthy Walters
FF: Bennell Tabs/Cox(Depending on form) Matera

I/C Mundy, Brayshaw, Logue, Darcy

Em: Langdon, Balla, Spurr, Kersten
Not sure how Cerra will progress but very interested to see.

For now I am checking out people's best 22s simply by looking at the bench and the emergencies. Yours get the tick of approval.

I wonder how players like Banfield and North are going to do this year. In terms of development they are both looking pretty much ready to go. And while Matera should be the incoming small forward, I feel that Switkowski and Crowden could bring some pressure (yeah, yeah. Ballantyne too).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many have got Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Wilson and Ryan as the back 6 by the end of the year. This does seem to pick itself, but it seems very tall to me. Logue and Hughes are very athletic, but I am not sure they have the agility to match up on Eddie Betts or Cyril Rioli etc. I guess it would then fall to Luke Ryan. I am not sure how he would go, or whether we are losing something by needing him to lock down. Nyhuis is the only lockdown defender we have for small forwards.

Of course everyone struggles on Eddie and Cyril. What are people's thoughts on the need for someone to take the dangerous small forwards, and the effectiveness of this backline against some of the smaller forward lines.

Many have got Hamling, Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Wilson and Ryan as the back 6 by the end of the year. This does seem to pick itself, but it seems very tall to me. Logue and Hughes are very athletic, but I am not sure they have the agility to match up on Eddie Betts or Cyril Rioli etc. I guess it would then fall to Luke Ryan. I am not sure how he would go, or whether we are losing something by needing him to lock down. Nyhuis is the only lockdown defender we have for small forwards.

Of course everyone struggles on Eddie and Cyril. What are people's thoughts on the need for someone to take the dangerous small forwards, and the effectiveness of this backline against some of the smaller forward lines.
Pearce, Logue, and Hughes can run like midfielders.

Maybe brady grey could be an option because he will struggle to get in the side with matera walters bennell and ballantyne all going for a similar spot. Remember he completely shut down wingard a year or two ago when wingard was in some good form.

Yes you are definitely onto something. It highlights the weakness in Wilson's game.

Lyon plays more of a team defense type of strategy all over the ground but especially in the defensive zone itself rather than closing down an individual player per se (of course individuals are given attention. I am not saying they are not). With an extra man back there he is more likely to be targeting of an oppositions most dangerous forwards.

Joao I'm curious about which games you thought MJ played so well in this season that he's now so firmly entrenched in your 22.

He was terrible for the vast majority of the vast majority of the season.

He came 7th in our B&F
images

Joao I'm curious about which games you thought MJ played so well in this season that he's now so firmly entrenched in your 22.

He was terrible for the vast majority of the vast majority of the season.
MJ certainly wasn't at his best but he was serviceable for the majority of games (had a couple of genuinely bad ones). Still a better player overall than Cox and Pearce IMO, even if they have both shown plenty.

I know you don't want to play any of the experienced guys but I firmly believe you need to keep a few and my picks are Sandi, Mundy and Johnno. Firmly expect him to be overtaken by both Cox and Pearce before the season is out and quite possibly a lot earlier.

MJ certainly wasn't at his best but he was serviceable for the majority of games (had a couple of genuinely bad ones). Still a better player overall than Cox and Pearce IMO, even if they have both shown plenty.

That's the issue though, and has been for a while: His best is past him, the game is so much faster while MJ is slower than a wet week and looks like bloated 40 year old child.

The tools he used to forge a career are gone. He couldn't sidestep a parked car, he's too slow to matchup on the small forwards to expose the mismatch, and now that he's needed to play KPD instead of 3rd def/tall, is being exposed.

And no, he certainly isn't better than Pearce, unless you're counting Pearce on 1 leg. Logue is a better comparison than Cox (seeing how he actually played defense this season) to MJ as the 3rd tall, and is athletically so far ahead that MJ should genuinely be embarrassed. Teach him how to point and he's got the rest covered too.

I understand that people can't help but to romanticise about some of the old timers, but time marches on. There was a time where he was a good player, but he isn't any longer, the game has passed him.

That's the issue though, and has been for a while: His best is past him, the game is so much faster while MJ is slower than a wet week and looks like bloated 40 year old child.

The tools he used to forge a career are gone. He couldn't sidestep a parked car, he's too slow to matchup on the small forwards to expose the mismatch, and now that he's needed to play KPD instead of 3rd def/tall, is being exposed.

And no, he certainly isn't better than Pearce, unless you're counting Pearce on 1 leg. Logue is a better comparison than Cox (seeing how he actually played defense this season) to MJ as the 3rd tall, and is athletically so far ahead that MJ should genuinely be embarrassed. Teach him how to point and he's got the rest covered too.

I understand that people can't help but to romanticise about some of the old timers, but time marches on. There was a time where he was a good player, but he isn't any longer, the game has passed him.
Nothing to do with romance, I just think he is still valuable to the team.

We aren't going to agree, lets move on.

You are exaggerating. Your assessment of Johnson is too harsh. And Pearce hasn’t played for almost two seasons. He should come back to play good football, but it will take time - maybe most of the season.

And then you accuse others of romanticism for the old timers. There are more shiny new toy admirers on this board than romantics who won’t let go.
The truth is everyone on the list needs to play a part next year. Whether it’s teaching on the training track or playing in the twos, playing a role or dominating.

I think there’s still a place for one old bloke on each line: back, mid and forward. At the moment that would be Johnson (or Spurr), Sandilands or Mundy, and Ballantyne or Mundy.

B: Griffin Logue, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr
HB: Nathan Wilson, Michael Johnson, Luke Ryan
C: Stephen Hill, Connor Blakely, Bradley Hill
HF: Michael Walters, Brennan Cox, Harley Bennell
F: Hayden Ballantyne, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Lachie Neale
I/C: David Mundy, Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra

DEPTH

General defenders: Taylin Duman, Ethan Hughes, Tommy Sheridan, Cam Sutcliffe
Key defenders: Alex Pearce
Midfielders: Bailey Banfield, Mitchell Crowden, Ed Langdon, Tom North, Danyle Pearce, Darcy Tucker
General forwards: Stefan Giro, Brady Grey, Ryan Nyhuis, Sam Switkowski
Key forwards: Michael Apeness, Hugh Dixon, Shane Kersten, Luke Strnadica, Matt Taberner
Ruckmen: Scott Jones, Lloyd Meek

NOTES: Top-five draft picks Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra arrive at Fremantle in the middle of an extensive rebuild and opportunities should present straight away for the gun teenagers. They have forced out Ed Langdon and Ethan Hughes from our pre-Draft best 22, while Darcy Tucker, who has played 31 games, is right on the cusp and expected to play a lot in 2018. An eye-catching end to the season has landed Brennan Cox a key forward spot, while the ruck will be an interesting area to balance as Sean Darcy prepares to take the reins from Aaron Sandilands. The Dockers are carefully plotting Alex Pearce's return to senior football after almost two years out through injury. – Nathan Schmook

Afl website sums it up pretty well. Tucker and Alex Pearce should be in the team though. Alex Pearce once he has been managed through WAFL. Similar to bennell.

Sean Darcy also needs to get majority game time if sandilands is anywhere near not 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back