2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

If APearce has a great preseason,MJ won't play bugger all imo....Our key defensive two talls will be Hamling & AP.
I totally agree.

My feeling is that coach Lyon will play the older guys like Spurr, Ballantyne and Johnson early in the season and later bring in the youngsters.

Players start making an impact after 4/5 preseasons (less for mature age players) and 30-50 games.

Rather, get games into A Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Cox, Ryan, Darcy, Langdon, McCarthy and Blakely than play Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Spurr, Johnson, Ballantyne, Taberner and D Pearce.

Sure, Spurr, Johnson and Ballantyne do provide leadership but I think that Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Walters, and Neale are enough in terms of leadership.

The other youngsters can develop in Peel until they are knocking on the door.

MJ is one that doesn't need to be quick to be effective. Just such a good football brain.
Spurr very tough & courageous. Good intercept mark too.
Its hard to know what qualities they both bring beyond the obvious that make them essential inclusions when their skills and athletic abilities have fallen behind what the youngsters can bring.
My preference is to play a Hughes or Logue in front of either of them but I have no idea how this effects the infield dynamic or cohesion.
I really hope Lyon has mastered the fine line between not discarding experience too soon and persisting stubbornly with the same old same old expecting different results which has been his major failing IMO in the past.

MJ is one that doesn't need to be quick to be effective. Just such a good football brain.
Spurr very tough & courageous. Good intercept mark too.
Its hard to know what qualities they both bring beyond the obvious that make them essential inclusions when their skills and athletic abilities have fallen behind what the youngsters can bring.
My preference is to play a Hughes or Logue in front of either of them but I have no idea how this effects the infield dynamic or cohesion.
I really hope Lyon has mastered the fine line between not discarding experience too soon and persisting stubbornly with the same old same old expecting different results which has been his major failing IMO in the past.
Balancing things can be difficult. Maybe, play one of them but not two.

Balancing things can be difficult. Maybe, play one of them but not two.

Not really. That's one of the things that seperates a good coach from a great one. The match committee has 4 months of preseason plus past experience to pick the best team come round one. Ignoring preseason form and reverting to the old guard is flawed in more ways than one.

Last edited:
I totally agree.

My feeling is that coach Lyon will play the older guys like Spurr, Ballantyne and Johnson early in the season and later bring in the youngsters.

Players start making an impact after 4/5 preseasons (less for mature age players) and 30-50 games.

Rather, get games into A Pearce, Logue, Hughes, Tucker, Brayshaw, Cerra, Cox, Ryan, Darcy, Langdon, McCarthy and Blakely than play Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Spurr, Johnson, Ballantyne, Taberner and D Pearce.

Sure, Spurr, Johnson and Ballantyne do provide leadership but I think that Fyfe, Mundy, Sandilands, Walters, and Neale are enough in terms of leadership.

The other youngsters can develop in Peel until they are knocking on the door.
Mostly agree, but not sure we have the same backline leadership as we do midfield and forward - and it is important on game day

B: Griffin Logue, Joel Hamling, Lee Spurr
HB: Nathan Wilson, Michael Johnson, Luke Ryan
C: Stephen Hill, Connor Blakely, Bradley Hill
HF: Michael Walters, Brennan Cox, Harley Bennell
F: Hayden Ballantyne, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, Nat Fyfe, Lachie Neale
I/C: David Mundy, Sean Darcy, Andrew Brayshaw, Adam Cerra

DEPTH

General defenders: Taylin Duman, Ethan Hughes, Tommy Sheridan, Cam Sutcliffe
Key defenders: Alex Pearce
Midfielders: Bailey Banfield, Mitchell Crowden, Ed Langdon, Tom North, Danyle Pearce, Darcy Tucker
General forwards: Stefan Giro, Brady Grey, Ryan Nyhuis, Sam Switkowski
Key forwards: Michael Apeness, Hugh Dixon, Shane Kersten, Luke Strnadica, Matt Taberner
Ruckmen: Scott Jones, Lloyd Meek

NOTES: Top-five draft picks Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra arrive at Fremantle in the middle of an extensive rebuild and opportunities should present straight away for the gun teenagers. They have forced out Ed Langdon and Ethan Hughes from our pre-Draft best 22, while Darcy Tucker, who has played 31 games, is right on the cusp and expected to play a lot in 2018. An eye-catching end to the season has landed Brennan Cox a key forward spot, while the ruck will be an interesting area to balance as Sean Darcy prepares to take the reins from Aaron Sandilands. The Dockers are carefully plotting Alex Pearce's return to senior football after almost two years out through injury. – Nathan Schmook

Afl website sums it up pretty well. Tucker and Alex Pearce should be in the team though. Alex Pearce once he has been managed through WAFL. Similar to bennell.

Sean Darcy also needs to get majority game time if sandilands is anywhere near not 100%
I think Pearce will be B22 by the end of the season but it is hard to know with the amount of footy he has missed.

Also think Hughes in the most stiff of those left out. I genuinely think he is B22 now with Tucker a little way behind.

I think Pearce will be B22 by the end of the season but it is hard to know with the amount of footy he has missed.

Also think Hughes in the most stiff of those left out. I genuinely think he is B22 now with Tucker a little way behind.
I think Tucker and Hughes will be breakout players in 2018. Locks in my best 22. Expecting significant change this year with more youth coming into the team. Ross has already said Brayshaw will probably play a fair bit this next season. Sign of things to come in my view.

I think Tucker and Hughes will be breakout players in 2018. Locks in my best 22. Expecting significant change this year with more youth coming into the team. Ross has already said Brayshaw will probably play a fair bit this next season. Sign of things to come in my view.
Hope so.

Think we will see a few of the older blokes (injury permitting) but am expecting a lot of games for the young guys.

I would lean more to the side of playing the youngsters at every opportunity. MJ, and Sandi play to avoid the beltings.

This means omitting MJ as soon as Alex Pearce is ready to play (form and workload) and similarly to Sandilands interchanging with Jones with Darcy. Jones could play the Lobb role (from his highlights obviously) Spurr, Rixx coach Peel. Danyle doesnt get a look in. Mundy plays every week till his form deteriorates and then he gets carried off on shoulders.

We are in a rebuild so the win\loss is not so important, so for ffs rebuild and get the draft picks.

The guy in the Sunday Times didn't even have Darcy in your best 22, is that real life?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy in the Sunday Times didn't even have Darcy in your best 22, is that real life?

I haven't seen the side but he's probably of the view that our best side doesn't have 2 ruckmen in which case if Sandi is fit and firing, Darcy misses out. Most teams only go with 1 genuine ruck so it's not entirely crazy thinking. What might be in question is thinking Sandi will be the better of the two this year.

I haven't seen the side but he's probably of the view that our best side doesn't have 2 ruckmen in which case if Sandi is fit and firing, Darcy misses out. Most teams only go with 1 genuine ruck so it's not entirely crazy thinking. What might be in question is thinking Sandi will be the better of the two this year.

No offence but I can see Sandi being done half way through the season at best

You have no shortage of backup/ready to take over rucks now so all good on that front

The regular training watchers should do a 3,2,1 vote on back,mid,forward group full ground simulations each week to determin a best 22 for round one. Would be interested to see who gets the votes and see if any of the new guys can get a 3,2,1. Might sound dumb but just an idea

FB: Ryan Hamling Hughes
HB: Wilson A. Pearce Logue
C: B. Hill Blakely S. Hill
HF: Bennell Taberner Walters
FF: Darcy McCarthy Matera

R: Sandilands Fyfe Neale

I: Tucker Mundy Brayshaw Ballantyne

FB: Spurr Johnson Nyhuis
HB: Sutcliffe Cox Sheridan
C: North Banfield D. Pearce
HF: Langdon Dixon Grey
FF: Giro Kersten Apeness

R: Jones Cerra Crowden

I: Duman Meek Switkowski Strnadica

Really tough picking your team. I wanted to put Cox in your first team but think Tabs needs another shot.

Really tough picking your team. I wanted to put Cox in your first team but think Tabs needs another shot.

Great effort, I'd probably put Cerra in there for Ballantyne, but for him and Brayshaw thats a guess until we see them play.

When you are looking at your wafl team^ and getting excited.....it means you have a very decent best 22.

Meek, Jones, Strnadica and Apeness in the same side is a bit of a worry though.

What I'd like to see by the end of the season

FB: Hughes, Hamling, Logue
HB: Wilson, A. Pearce, Ryan
C: Hill, Blakely, Hill
HF: Langdon, McCarthy, Walters
FF: Matera, Cox/Taberner, Bennell
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Neale
I/C: Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker, Mundy

What I think we are likely to see round one

FB: Hughes, Hamling, Spurr
HB: Ryan, Johnson, Wilson
C: Hill, Mundy, Hill
HF: Walters, McCarthy, Bennell
FF: Matera, Darcy, Ballantyne
R: Sandi, Fyfe, Neale
I/C: Tucker, Kersten, Blakely, Langdon

I love Sandi and MJ but I think we need to look to the future, ditto for Ballantyne and Spurr. I just can't justify them keeping out players such as Logue and Darcy who are the future of the club. Thanks for the service lads, but we need to transition the team and fast track the kids.

First team is very young but guys like Mundy, Fyfe, Neale and Walters can provide some really good leadership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back