2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. It is not easy (even though according to Champion Data we have the second worst list: https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...g-to-champion-data-list-ratings-ng-b88713624z)

I have gone with:

FB: Ryan ~ Hamling ~ Logue
HB: Wilson ~ A Pearce ~ Blakely
C: Hill ~ Fyfe ~ Hill
HF: Mundy ~ McCarthy ~ Walters
FF: Matera ~ Taberner ~ Ballas
R: Sandi ~ Neale ~ Brayshaw

INT: Tucker ~ Bennell ~ Darcy ~ Hughes

I am unsure whether or not Ballas will, with the benefit of hindsight, eventuate as part of our 2018 Best 22. He needs a big start to the year. Even with the above, there could be argument pertaining to the following: Cox, Langdon, Crowden, Cerra, Johnson, Grey, Kersten.

Wow. It is not easy (even though according to Champion Data we have the second worst list: https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...g-to-champion-data-list-ratings-ng-b88713624z)

I have gone with:

I am unsure whether or not Ballas will, with the benefit of hindsight, eventuate as part of our 2018 Best 22. He needs a big start to the year. Even with the above, there could be argument pertaining to the following: Cox, Langdon, Crowden, Cerra, Johnson, Grey, Kersten.
Grey, Nyhuis, Apeness and Spurr too to get some games.

And they are not popular but Sheridan and Sutcliffe too, but not as best 22. There are a a number of almost ready to go recruits from this latest draft as well. Be interesting to see who can build a case as the season progresses.

I have gone with:

Ballas will be great again. Book mark it. Pilates will fix his body and he’ll kick 40+.

#MakeFreoGreatAgain

Logue Hamling Hughes
Wilson Pearce Ryan
Hill Fyfe Hill
Bennell Mccarthy Walters
Ballantyne Taberner Matera

Foll: Sandilands/Darcy Mundy Blakely
Int: Tucker Neale Cox Langdon
A lot to like there, especially with neither Brayshaw or Cerra include (or Crowden/North/etc). Plus some mature depth available with players like Kersten, Gray etc.

A lot to like there, especially with neither Brayshaw or Cerra include (or Crowden/North/etc). Plus some mature depth available with players like Kersten, Gray etc.

Holding them in reserve for first injuries or form drop off could be a great move. Takes the pressure off them.

Holding them in reserve for first injuries or form drop off could be a great move. Takes the pressure off them.
Definitely. I am not really a fan of debuts before round 5-ish anyway. Of course there can be exceptions, but you want to be confident a player is going to have a good debut. I also like debuts to be earned, so happy to see players held back a bit.

Yeh i really wanted to get grey into the team i just love how hard he goes at the ball but i couldnt fit him in. Would most likely have to be at the expense of ballas. The fact i didnt get cerra or brayshaw into the team aswell highlights the depth we are building aswell which is a good sign.

Definitely. I am not really a fan of debuts before round 5-ish anyway. Of course there can be exceptions, but you want to be confident a player is going to have a good debut. I also like debuts to be earned, so happy to see players held back a bit.

If Ross gives a debut game to anyone, they have earned it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably. Maybe Logue had earned a debut last year. Maybe his development was the priority.

Do you reckon Griffin kept a more deserving player out ?
Griffin was neither great nor terrible but we would all be expecting an improvement this year.
Considering his age, he had a very encouraging year so we could say his development is on target.

I can't think of anyone who will keep him out of the side.

Last edited:
Do you reckon Griffin kept a more deserving player out ?
Griffin wasn't neither great nor terrible but we would all be expecting an improvement this year.
Considering his age, he had a very encouraging year so we could say his development is on target.

I can't think of anyone who will keep him out of the side.
Don't disagree with you here Fred. But Sutcliffe has been our best option at times as well, which doesn't mean the same thing as earning your place in the best 22, just means best available.

I am brightly optimistic about Logue and very happy he got games last season. I also see him as best 22. I also wouldn't be surprised if he hits a wall at some stage or has a form setback. All part of the development.

Those that don’t have brayshaw in there 22 are kidding themselves. If he isn’t starting round one we may as well call us a poor club at rebuilding.

If everyone is available for selection, I think this is what the club will be going to pick at Round 1. It might not be the refreshing, new look we want to see but we need to see this first and I'm okay with that.

Ryan Hamling Spurr
Hughes Johnson Wilson

Hill Fyfe Hill

Blakely Sandilands Mundy

Kersten McCarthy Walters
Ballantyne Taberner Grey

I/C: Logue, Neale, Langdon and Tucker

No debutants, but the reality is it's a new year with new chances for everyone on our list. Make people fight for their spots and the fighters break their way into the B22. I think this will be one of the most competitive seasons for our players come selection time which is great.

-

Quick thoughts on the B22's progression throughout the season:

That B22 has a lot of danger spots on it - which means there will be a lot of opportunities for others to break in and claim them.

Cox / Darcy / APearce / Matera / Bennell / Ape will all have a shot and be back in by Round 6.
If Spurr is out of form or goes down Nyhuis goes straight in.

Before the bye we will definitely have 2 debutants in Brayshaw and Cerra. North would be the bonus.
Crowden, Duman, Dixon and Jones all to debut after the bye.

Probably should of waited until after JLT to do my updated version but I'm too bored and excited.

Last edited:
If everyone is available for selection, I think this is what the club will be going to pick at Round 1. It might not be the refreshing, new look we want to see but we need to see this first and I'm okay with that.

Ryan Hamling Spurr
Hughes Johnson Wilson

Hill Fyfe Hill

Blakely Sandilands Mundy

Kersten McCarthy Walters
Ballantyne Taberner Grey

I/C: Logue, Neale, Langdon and Tucker

No debutants, but the reality is it's a new year with new chances for everyone on our list. Make people fight for their spots and the fighters break their way into the B22. I think this will be one of the most competitive seasons for our players come selection time which is great.

-

Quick thoughts on the B22's progression throughout the season:

That B22 has a lot of danger spots on it - which means there will be a lot of opportunities for others to break in and claim them.

Cox / Darcy / APearce / Matera / Bennell / Ape will all have a shot and be back in by Round 6.
If Spurr is out of form or goes down Nyhuis goes straight in.

Before the bye we will definitely have 2 debutants in Brayshaw and Cerra. North would be the bonus.
Crowden, Duman, Dixon and Jones all to debut after the bye.

Probably should of waited until after JLT to do my updated version but I'm too bored and excited.
I'd say Crowden is every chance of debuting before the bye. You can't teach what he has and as long as the work ethic is there he'll get a look in IMO.

I'd say Crowden is every chance of debuting before the bye. You can't teach what he has and as long as the work ethic is there he'll get a look in IMO.
I struggle to see where the opportunity comes unless we have some serious under-performers.

Pretty decent situation to be in with Cerra, Brayshaw, Crowden, North and Banfield all ready to go recruits. Well, ok, borderline ready to go, but they are not far off. Switkowski maybe as well.

I struggle to see where the opportunity comes unless we have some serious under-performers.

Pretty decent situation to be in with Cerra, Brayshaw, Crowden, North and Banfield all ready to go recruits. Well, ok, borderline ready to go, but they are not far off. Switkowski maybe as well.
The most obvious opportunity is injury which will happen. Hopefully not, but it will.

We have around 13 blokes who pick themselves when fit, the other 9 or so I reckon are up for grabs each week, especially now we have so many young players to "fast track".

Surely Matera would be preferred to Grey in a small forward role? We traded to bring him to the club and he has played 100+ games.
Agree, Matera is just flat out better at small forward than anybody at our club not named Sonny.

The most obvious opportunity is injury which will happen. Hopefully not, but it will.
I am not seeing it quite like this. He is an inside midfielder and from my reading not one who translates to a forward or defender. As an inside mid he has some serious competition, plus Brayshaw and Cerra lurk as the standout candidates for an inside mid chance. North as well. The only best 22 midfielder that he seems like a likely "in" for is Neale, mainly because we have clearly had a preference for taller midfielders.

I'm looking forward to his debut, but he will need more than an injury to get an opportunity. He will need to be better than quite a few potential "others".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back