2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Found these quotes from Collins interesting:

"(Johnson playing on) was part of it. It was more finding the number of backmen that they've got and with Brennan Cox – probably a natural backman playing forward – there was another one in that spot there.

"So they just felt that I wasn't going to get the opportunity and they essentially had too many backs, so I was out the door.

Unless I am reading it wrong, it sounds like we are going to explore Cox playing more as a KPD next season and also not looking at KPDs in the draft.
Ross said that they see his best football in defense during the season as well. Was also AA u18. As good as a he is doing up forward he should do even better down back if given the opportunity.

Ross said that they see his best football in defense during the season as well. Was also AA u18. As good as a he is doing up forward he should do even better down back if given the opportunity.
Pretty sure I watched all his u18s games and it wasn't just his defensive work, reading of play and intercepting that impressed me. He was extremely good at working with the half backs. From memory I think he and two of the HBs from SA were AA last year - easily had the best defence in u18s and he was the key piece - I don't even think the other two SA players got drafted (one might this year though). That quick outlet pass to the HBs is underrated imo - but makes such a difference to an effective KPD that intercepts well. Nothing worse than seeing them intercept and then stuff around whilst the opposition sets their defence up.

Needs a touch more weller but I agree about Stephenson, club might want to protect him however, probably needs 5-10kgs before he's strong enough to protect himself at the top level.

Perhaps it didn't after all?

B22 for next year still looking not to shabby.

F: McCarthy Tabs Matera
HF: Bennell Cox Pick 5
C: B.Hill Walters S.Hill
HB: Wilson Johnson Hughes
FB: Ryan Hamling Logue
R: Sandy Fyfe Blakley

I/C Neale, Tucker, Langdon, Mundy

Darcy there for ruck back up, along with guys like Spurr, Sherro, Suban, DP, Sutcliffe, Apeness. Pretty strong position

B22 for next year minus Weller, Wilson, Matera and pick 5,

F: McCarthy Tabs Walters
HF: Bennell Cox Grey
C: B.Hill Neale S.Hill
HB: Johnson A Pearce Hughes

I/C Nyhuis, Tucker, Langdon, Mundy

B22 for next year minus Weller, Wilson, Matera and pick 5,

F: McCarthy Tabs Walters
HF: Bennell Cox Grey
C: B.Hill Neale S.Hill
HB: Johnson A Pearce Hughes

I/C Nyhuis, Tucker, Langdon, Mundy
With the Huis still on the rookie list I don't think the club sees him as B22 just yet. I expect Spurr to at least start in the 22 even if he doesn't last long. Same as Ballas.

Hughes Hamling Mundy
Wilson A.Pearce Ryan
Langdon Blakely B.Hill
Fyfe Taberner Bennell
Walters McCarthy Matera

Darcy Neale S.Hill

Weller Logue Tucker Cox

If we end up getting Menzel and Weller leaves, thats a straight swap in the best 22 imo
Really Hoping Pearce makes a solid comeback and Langdon, Logue, Tucker, Cox have breakout seasons for us to get back in the finals mix
Fyfe a tricky one, we saw him back to his best playing around the centre in the back end of the season, but if the forward line continues to suck we may need him and Cox to pinch hit inside 50 for half a game each. I fear Ross will have Mundy,Johnno and Sandi in his best 22 sadly : (

With the Huis still on the rookie list I don't think the club sees him as B22 just yet. I expect Spurr to at least start in the 22 even if he doesn't last long. Same as Ballas.
Yes you are right, just trying to avoid the transitioning players. I would also see Darcy and Duman for Sandilands and MJ in that context too.

If we end up getting Menzel and Weller leaves, thats a straight swap in the best 22 imo
Really Hoping Pearce makes a solid comeback and Langdon, Logue, Tucker, Cox have breakout seasons for us to get back in the finals mix
Fyfe a tricky one, we saw him back to his best playing around the centre in the back end of the season, but if the forward line continues to suck we may need him and Cox to pinch hit inside 50 for half a game each. I fear Ross will have Mundy,Johnno and Sandi in his best 22 sadly : (
Menzel is not coming. Lloyd or Bond or someone said we weren't interested when interviewed last week and in any event the FA period is over.

I think they are required for leadership.

leadership off field would be more than enough, i dont see those 3 in our best 22 skill wise now, perhaps Mundy can play a role in the backline and pinch hit in the middle but Johnno and Sandi should be depth players only, keep them fit by running out for peel and be leaders on the training track and off field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan Hamling Johnson
Wilson Pearce Hughes
Bhill Fyfe Shill
Bennell Cox Matera
McCarthy Taverner Spurr

Sandi Mundy Neale

Blakely Logue Langdon Tucker

RyAn. Hamling. Wilson

Blakely. Pearce. Hughes

Hill. Bennell. Hill

Cox Tabener. Tucker

Walters. Fyfe. Matera

Sandilands
Neale
Mundy

Darcy
Pick 2/5
Logue

B: Ryan Hamling Cox
HB: Wilson Pearce Spurr
C: B.hill Fyfe S.hill
HF: Bennell Taberner Walters
F: McCarthy Darcy Matera

R: Sandi Mundy Neale

I/C: Blakely Langdon Sheridan (Pick 2 or 5)

This for 2019 just sent me all Randy Marsh. Then I realised Hogan is OOC at the end of that year...

Carter, A Pearce, Logue
Ryan, Hamling, Wilson
S Hill, Fyfe, B Hill
Bennell, Taberner, Stephenson
McCarthy, O'Reilly, Walters
Darcy, Blakely, Neale

I Hill, Hughes, Fogarty, Langdon, (Cox, Apeness, Tucker, Grey, Kersten, Matera, Nyhuis, Duman, Strnadica)

Shilly would be the only player over 30 and will activate Burgoyne mode anyway.

What i would like to see

B: Hughes Hamling Logue
HB : Wilson Pearce Ryan
C: Hill Blakely Hill
HF: Bennell Fyfe McCarthy
FF: Matera Apeness Grey
R: Darcy Neale Walters

Ic: Cox/Johnson, Langdon, Logue, Mundy

What i think we will see

B: Spur Hamling Sutcliffe
HB: Wilson Johnson Ryan
C: Hill Fyfe Hill
HF: Walters Taberner Bennell
FF: Ballantyne Mccarthy Kerstan
R: Sandilands Mundy Neale

Ic: Sutcliffe, Pearce, Suban, Sherridan

11 goals in 8 games, including 4 goals against a tired bombers side.

No where near the best contested mark in the comp.

Clunking marks and being a top flight AFL forward are 2 different things. See Casboult. Tabs is a good contested mark but he hasn't been able to do enough yet. Hopefully he continues to build and gets there.

B.Wilson Hamling Hughes
HB. Logue AP Ryan
C. Langdon Blakely B Hill
HF. Pick 2 Cox Walters
F. Matera McCarthy Bennell

R. Darcy Fyfe Neale

I. Pick 5, Mundy, S Hill, Tucker

E. Grey, Tabs, Jonno, Kerstin, Spurr

Last edited:
2018 Team - Age at 31/12/17

B: Lee Spurr (30, 120) Joel Hamling (24, 45) Alex Pearce (22, 21)
HB: Nathan Wilson (24, 77) Michael Johnson (33, 231) Luke Ryan (21, 11)

R: Aaron Sandilands (35, 254) Nat Fyfe (26, 138) Lachie Neale (24, 113)
C: Brad Hill (24, 117) David Mundy (32, 272) Stephen Hill (27, 190)

HF: Harley Bennell (25, 83) Matt Taberner (24, 53) Michael Walters (26, 111)
F: Shane Kersten (24, 57) Cam McCarthy (22, 40) Hayden Ballantyne (30, 151)

I: Connor Blakely (21, 33) Darcy Tucker (20, 31) Ed Langdon (21, 25) Brandon Matera (25, 101)

Will be expecting picks 2 and 5 to get a lot of games next year too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back