Teams 2018 Best of the Best 22 - Rucks

Which players will be in the ruck for the Saints Best 22 in 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So now he’s taking a forward line spot away from Clark, Gresham, Billings, McCartin, Bruce, Membrey? Just so he can relief ruck for 4-5 mins a quarter.... not sure if serious?
No he not taking a spot away from anyone. Hodge hasn’t played on an opponent for 6yrs - he plays the loose sweeper role. I don’t see that changing up in Brisbane.

Just stick an opponent on him. Gilbo would completely nullify him IMHO

No he not taking a spot away from anyone. Hodge hasn’t played on an opponent for 6yrs - he plays the loose sweeper role. I don’t see that changing up in Brisbane.

Just stick an opponent on him. Gilbo would completely nullify him IMHO
If Gilbert plays, he is most definitely taking a game from someone. Most likely one of Clark or Coffield.

If Brisbane structure up with one loose, that means Roberton or Savage will be loose for us, I’d back those two to have more impact than an elder Hodge any day.

If Gilbert plays, he is most definitely taking a game from someone. Most likely one of Clark or Coffield.

If Brisbane structure up with one loose, that means Roberton or Savage will be loose for us, I’d back those two to have more impact than an elder Hodge any day.
Tell me you’re joking!?

4 time premiership player & 2 time Norm Smith recipient has Savage & Robbo covered by the length of the Royal Ascot straight. He may be old but there is no better player in the game ever in that sweeper role than Luke Hodge

Gone for Longer / Gilbert combination.

I’d love it if Marshall could earn a spot in the 22 and we’d have a more natural forward / relief ruckman.

I’d love it even more if Longer could take marks inside 50 and become a goal a game player.

Tell me you’re joking!?

4 time premiership player & 2 time Norm Smith recipient has Savage & Robbo covered by the length of the Royal Ascot straight. He may be old but there is no better player in the game ever in that sweeper role than Luke Hodge
I’m not debating that Hodge was an absolute gun, but he’s not that player anymore. He’s still very good tho.

But if he was still elite, he would have been all AA last year.... Roberton was at least in the 40 man squad. Roberton was a better half back than Hodge was in 2017, and I can’t see that changing in 2018...

Hodge over Savage in 2017, fair enough, but Savage’s last 6 games and his preseason form (yes, I know it’s only preseason) have been pretty bloody good.

Hodge will General the young Brisbane defenders regardless if Gilbert’s tagging him. I just cannot see us entering the season with a negative mindset on Hodge.

Anyways, this is about Gilbert having a spot in the 22, just so he can relief ruck 4-5 mins a quarter. Seems bizarre you want Gilbert in the team this badly.

I’m not debating that Hodge was an absolute gun, but he’s not that player anymore. He’s still very good tho.

But if he was still elite, he would have been all AA last year.... Roberton was at least in the 40 man squad. Roberton was a better half back than Hodge was in 2017, and I can’t see that changing in 2018...

Hodge over Savage in 2017, fair enough, but Savage’s last 6 games and his preseason form (yes, I know it’s only preseason) have been pretty bloody good.

Hodge will General the young Brisbane defenders regardless if Gilbert’s tagging him. I just cannot see us entering the season with a negative mindset on Hodge.

Anyways, this is about Gilbert having a spot in the 22, just so he can relief ruck 4-5 mins a quarter. Seems bizarre you want Gilbert in the team this badly.
I don’t want him in the team. If he’s in the team, these are the 2 jobs I’d have him do this week. 2nd ruck & mind Hodge

Chosen Brown as the relief.
Don’t want Bruce distracted from his main function.
Don’t want Gilbert in the side at the expense of Coffield.
Carlisle is more valuable down back than Brown.
So it’s a classic least worst outcome.
Brown can't jump/compete in the ruck. He's completely dysfunctional there.

He has a very important job to do anyway manning the number one key forward. He can't just leave that, he stays on for a high percentage in games.

Acres would literally be a better option.

Brown can't jump/compete in the ruck. He's completely dysfunctional there.

He has a very important job to do anyway manning the number one key forward. He can't just leave that, he stays on for a high percentage in games.

Acres would literally be a better option.
A better least worst option.
But I prefer to keep the Goat in a more offensive role.
All Brown has to do is stand there and not get hurt.
And better to cover a monster forward with team defence than: have Bruce run himself into the ground and lose forward potency, or sacrifice Coffield development for Gilbert.

I know we can only have 1 role specific ruckman in the squad at any time and Billy is the man currently but I'd really like to see Marshall get game time in the 1s this year. He looks better with every game he plays and yes he made some significant errors in the Melbourne JLT game but he also gave us something as well and he needs encouragement. Right now he is the best or our ruckman in the forward line and improving at hit-outs.

A better least worst option.
But I prefer to keep the Goat in a more offensive role.
All Brown has to do is stand there and not get hurt.
And better to cover a monster forward with team defence than: have Bruce run himself into the ground and lose forward potency, or sacrifice Coffield development for Gilbert.
Safe option (with Gilbert out) is probably to put Bruce there again.

But we always hear about Blake not having midfield time, put him in the ruck and he's right in the middle of it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went for Longer and Marshall. Don’t really
Mind between Hickey and Longer, who ever is in form, but I really think we need to see what Marshall can do. He made some costly mistakes in JLT, all skill errors which can be put down to pre season rust, but he was in all the right places and couldve/should’ve had 3 shots at goal.

He’s such a rare type of player and has so many weapons, especially his kicking which is unreal for his height. I just have a gut feeling that he could be something special.

Went for Longer and Marshall. Don’t really
Mind between Hickey and Longer, who ever is in form, but I really think we need to see what Marshall can do. He made some costly mistakes in JLT, all skill errors which can be put down to pre season rust, but he was in all the right places and couldve/should’ve had 3 shots at goal.

He’s such a rare type of player and has so many weapons, especially his kicking which is unreal for his height. I just have a gut feeling that he could be something special.
I liked what I saw from him too he was like another midfielder out there.

It's a genuine conundrum.

The Saints have two ruckmen that as a duo could work very effectively. Longer as your starting mainstay ruck can just grind opposition rucks with his weight and jump. Hickey in a supporting role would be the best back-up ruck in the competition hands down. If the Hickster ran on whenever Steph Martin ran off he should be able to give us a real edge over stoppages during that time. That would also allow us to keep Bruce forward, which means defenders are working harder for longer periods to keep up with Juice's running capacity. Remember we we lose Bruce's energy in the forward 50 when he is in the ruck, as well as when he is off the ground. Keeping Bruce forward would keep him on the park longer and really help Paddy. Hickey can pinch hit forward and back and clunk a few as well, especially if he's not overly exhausted by his ruck role. Downside is we need to clear out a running player to make way.

Marshall is also a very interesting proposition. I was surprised by his ability in the ruck, and while his anaerobic and aerobic levels look a long way off being good enough to dominate opposition rucks, he would compete well against the likes of Josh Walker or Daniel McStay who are Brisbane's back up. By eye, Marshall also impacts more around the ground. That point he kicked against Melbourne was a very good looking kick off the boot. RoMa looks like a ruck who can have 3-4 shots at goal every game, which would be bloody handy because he's such a great kick. He also tried a couple of pinpoint passes one of which was only spoiled by a diving desperate effort from 194cm Sam Frost. The fact he put together 10 disposals in 38% game time attests to his intent to be a ball player (compared against Hickeys 12 in 59% TOG). He may not make the R1 team, but we can be sure his name is being tossed around at match committee. You would think that the Saints would be stoked if we can get 7 games into RoMa this year. No better time than vs Brisbane.

Or we can do what he have done for the last two years, and use Gilbo/Bruce as backup and that allows us to have one extra running type player on the ground. I think this consideration is really important when we play teams with pace.

Suspect we will go with Longer/Bruce to start the season, and nothing will change if we win games.

It's a genuine conundrum.

The Saints have two ruckmen that as a duo could work very effectively. Longer as your starting mainstay ruck can just grind opposition rucks with his weight and jump. Hickey in a supporting role would be the best back-up ruck in the competition hands down. If the Hickster ran on whenever Steph Martin ran off he should be able to give us a real edge over stoppages during that time. That would also allow us to keep Bruce forward, which means defenders are working harder for longer periods to keep up with Juice's running capacity. Remember we we lose Bruce's energy in the forward 50 when he is in the ruck, as well as when he is off the ground. Keeping Bruce forward would keep him on the park longer and really help Paddy. Hickey can pinch hit forward and back and clunk a few as well, especially if he's not overly exhausted by his ruck role. Downside is we need to clear out a running player to make way.

Marshall is also a very interesting proposition. I was surprised by his ability in the ruck, and while his anaerobic and aerobic levels look a long way off being good enough to dominate opposition rucks, he would compete well against the likes of Josh Walker or Daniel McStay who are Brisbane's back up. By eye, Marshall also impacts more around the ground. That point he kicked against Melbourne was a very good looking kick off the boot. RoMa looks like a ruck who can have 3-4 shots at goal every game, which would be bloody handy because he's such a great kick. He also tried a couple of pinpoint passes one of which was only spoiled by a diving desperate effort from 194cm Sam Frost. The fact he put together 10 disposals in 38% game time attests to his intent to be a ball player (compared against Hickeys 12 in 59% TOG). He may not make the R1 team, but we can be sure his name is being tossed around at match committee. You would think that the Saints would be stoked if we can get 7 games into RoMa this year. No better time than vs Brisbane.

Or we can do what he have done for the last two years, and use Gilbo/Bruce as backup and that allows us to have one extra running type player on the ground. I think this consideration is really important when we play teams with pace.

Suspect we will go with Longer/Bruce to start the season, and nothing will change if we win games.

Don't think anything will change if we lose either. There is no way Hickey and Longer can play together. Marshall may be able to play with one of them but only if a tall is injured, maybe 2 of them.

I've for the Longer /Marshall combination as well. While Marshall is still very raw, his potential off the. bench to relieve and offer injury cover as kpf kpb and ruck makes him a phenomenal prospect.
I expect to start the season with Gilbert but hope Marshall is better than him by years end.

I've for the Longer /Marshall combination as well. While Marshall is still very raw, his potential off the. bench to relieve and offer injury cover as kpf kpb and ruck makes him a phenomenal prospect.
I expect to start the season with Gilbert but hope Marshall is better than him by years end.

I'm interested to hear how he can fit into the side because if he could it would be great but I cant see it apart from injury to at least one tall if not 2 or poor form.

I'm interested to hear how he can fit into the side because if he could it would be great but I cant see it apart from injury to at least one tall if not 2 or poor form.
Yeah, Marshall can only really get a game in replacement of Paddy or Bruce (or potentially Brown or Carlisle). Potentially Membrey as well, but then we’d be bloody tall up front.

If he does play I see him playing off the bench, but even then it would be about getting a chance rather than being Plan A.

Then again

I know the trend is to play a smaller forward line, and I know that we'll probably play with two talls, a medium and three smalls, but if the players are good enough I have memories of Hawthorn with Boyle, Roughead and Franklin. Roughead, Franklin and Hale. Roughhead, Gunston and McEvoy. All playing in the forward line in Premiership teams, and yeah I remember that Boyle ended up injured and Renouf and Campbell played in 2008 premiership.

Maybe a better way of doing it would to theoretically play Battle, Paddy and Bruce as three prong tall forward line and Marshall as the lone ruckman and this may well be the case in 2020. If we could somehow cross breed to get the best of Hickey and Longer, it wouldn't be an issue.

If he does play I see him playing off the bench, but even then it would be about getting a chance rather than being Plan A.

Then again

I know the trend is to play a smaller forward line, and I know that we'll probably play with two talls, a medium and three smalls, but if the players are good enough I have memories of Hawthorn with Boyle, Roughead and Franklin. Roughead, Franklin and Hale. Roughhead, Gunston and McEvoy. All playing in the forward line in Premiership teams, and yeah I remember that Boyle ended up injured and Renouf and Campbell played in 2008 premiership.

Maybe a better way of doing it would to theoretically play Battle, Paddy and Bruce as three prong tall forward line and Marshall as the lone ruckman and this may well be the case in 2020. If we could somehow cross breed to get the best of Hickey and Longer, it wouldn't be an issue.
Membrey? Battle moving past him?

Membrey? Battle moving past him?
nah Membrey in too, with Billings and Gresham.
I know most people think of Membrey as a tall, but he's listed at 188cm and 89kg.
Battle is regarded as a medium yet listed at 193cm and 88kg. to me he looks both taller and heavier.
Paddy at 194 and 100kg is regarded as a tall.
Sebby at 187cm and 88kg is as close as to Membrey and I can't see him as a tall.
Blake at 190 cm and 92 kg, is taller and heavier but I couldn't call him a tall either.

My big question mark is who can develop a good enough defensive game to diminish the need for a Weller/Wright/Long or can any of them develop and attacking game strong enough to guarantee them a game in two years time.

Back