Draft Watcher 2018 Big Footy Phantom Draft - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 1/2 hours and no response, auto select?
I agree, I would have said KPP are the last thing the Eagles need.
No point auto selecting picks in the last round. Whoever is up next can pick, and Gold Coast can just slot back in whenever they’re back online.
Have any of the Gold Coast academy kids been drafted yet?

My guess would be GC should/would look to pick up some of their own, much like cotter101 has done for the Lions last pick, and picked a local academy kid.

Pick 76 St Kilda - Laitham Vandermeer

180cm 76kg (Murray Bushrangers)

flanker/mid who averages low 20's poss in the TAC Cup and who caught my eye as a stand out for Vic Country in the championships, moreso than a few others selected earlier in the draft and with bigger profiles, he seemed calm and collected and clean with poss, so with a late selection i'll pick this kid and develop him into a utility flanker/mid rotation, i think he is good value so late in the draft.

so far in the draft i've picked a tall defender, medium forward, 2 inside mids and a utility

i was also tossing up between:
Irving Mosquito as that pressure forward, he averages 5 tackles and 1.5 goals a game and has some rioli traits
Matthew Walker that tall mid/flanker who can go forward and kick goals and looks to have some good AFL traits
but i decided on Vandermeer, because he was 1 of few vic country lads that impressed me in the championships and deserves to be recruited either in the draft or as a rookie, for his performances in the u/18 championships imo, another over ager i think has done enough to get drafted this year mid to late in the draft

Last edited:

Pick 78 Fremantle - Joshua Corbett (190cm, 90kg from Werribee)

For mine, 22 year old Corbett is the best mature aged player in this years draft. And with a strong finish to the VFL season, he could easily end up going inside the top 40. He's almost an identical prospect to Mitch McGovern - same size, position, elite contested mark. If it came down to giving up a first round pick and a massive contract in a trade for McGovern or drafting a player 2 years younger with a second or third round pick, I'd be backing myself in and going for Corbett.

In 9 VFL games this year, Corbett has 22 goals and 11 behinds. He's averaging almost 8 marks a game, and leading the league in both contested marks and marks inside 50. Like McGovern, if there's a marking contest he just seems to come down with it regardless of where he is in the pack. And not only is he a marking option inside 50, but his work rate is elite and is running 14km a match. That would be up there with the best forwards in the AFL.

For Fremantle specifically, he'd add some much needed competition up forward for Cam McCarthy and likely would have played a fair bit this year. A forward line with Taberner and Cox as the two key talls with Corbett as the third would be a dangerous one given our propensity for kicking long.

Pick 80 Adelaide Brendan Dew Central District

Dew was a very dominant Under 18 footballer in his draft year but didn't produce the goods at the champs and due to him not having any eye-catching abilities, largely went under the radar but I've always been a fan. High production and clean wingman/half forward who can also get his own ball at times. Has some pace but generally just a clean and polished classy midfielder who has played a great month in the league side with some strong performances. He'd add some great depth to the crows who lack a bit of class at times and would compliment their running game on the outside very well. Only knock is his defensive side, he'd want to lift that a bit more and also he could be accused of being a tad outside but I have seen him win his ball plenty of times. Has the Nick Dal Santo's about him when on.

Snoop Dog

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 83 - Geelong - Bailey Schmidt - Dandenong Stingrays - 199cm 97kg - Key Forward/Ruckman

Schmidt has been a solid player for Dandenong who has been overshadowed by his highly talented teammates Williams and Bowman. Schmidt has spent plenty of time at full forward and shown some promises signs, he has sticky hands and a solid set shot routine.

Schmidt is a smart player and often makes good decisions around the ground, he isn’t a big ball winner when playing in the ruck and his ruck work is only solid from what I’ve seen but to be fair I’ve mostly seen him as a forward.

Schlensog being a Geelong boy was also considered but I feel Schmidt has the better scope for improvement. Plenty of players I still like are available and if I was able to see more of him I would have taken Joshua Kemp with one of my picks in the 50s

Last edited:
Pick 86 – Port Adelaide
Louis Miller East Perth, WA
187 cm, 82 kg

Over the summer, we heard Adam Gilchrist lauding the Scotch College Cricket Academy. The football academy used to be even better in the 60’s and 70’s with the likes of Mal Brown, Ross Glendinning and Robert Wiley as graduates. The college has had a dry spell but is getting better in football now and their latest graduate is Louis Miller.

Miller is a tough and skilled playing most of his colts and carnival football off the half back flank. If you want a player comparison, think of a mix of Brad Sheppard for one on one contests and Hamish Hartlet with ball in hand. Miller made it into the state U18 team as a bottom age player in 2017 and showed he warranted selection but he had the benefit of Naughton and Taylor making his role easier. I went back to my carnival notes from 2017 and I had a number of ticks for things he had done well and highlighted him then as someone to watch for the following year. In 2018, WA were not blessed with tall defenders and Miller often found himself playing taller and did a good job shutting down some dangerous forwards. He and Clark held together an under sieged WA defence for much of the carnival and in many ways the two of them kept them in the games without blow out scores.

There are 2 attributes that Miller has consistently shown that makes me believe he will make it in AFL. He reads the play very well. So much is made of the modern game needing to intercept and play team defence and he does this particularly well, demonstrating ability to get to position, ability to use his body and ability to mark overhead. The second key attribute is the ability to look for and find targets when starting the attack from the half back line. Miller has very tidy skills by hand and foot but most importantly he reads the options downfield and then has the time and skills to deliver. He has shown his willingness to go direct through the middle and judging when to go wide and work the outside lines.

He has decent pace, strong upper body meaning he can lay and break tackles and he may well make it as a big bodied midfielder. At this pick in the draft, I believe he is great value and will possibly be ready to play in 2019 or at least by 2020.

Snoop Dog - tagged for updated write up

Last edited:
Pick 79 Jordon Butts 196cm 82 kg Key position Murray Bushrangers

Selected him two years in a row. Kiss of death?
Jordon is born in late December hence really young 19 year old.
Didn't get drafted as clubs questioned his maturity and his readiness for AFL footy is my guess.
He has a good year playing at centre half back and as a high hit up half forward. I see Jordon's best chance of an AFL career playing as a high half forward who is too athletic for players of similar height and too tall for similar athletes. Justin Westhoff like.
Jordan needs to find strength in his body and I question his competitiveness on occasion.
Kick is okay, reads ball well and has decent hands. Should have played for Vic Country this year.

Rationale
I picked a tall just for the balance of the draft however young Mosquito is too good not to be picked up. In the real thing Irving would have been called because of pure ability.
I thought Corbett would be available here and considered Jake Riccardi and James Rendell.
The other player who I think is a real show to be on an AFL list is Josh Kemp from Calder. He was a late addition to the Cannons list playing terrific footy at Essendon Grammar. He is a mid sized forward who has some outstanding talent.
My guess he may go top 60 in November if injuries are kind and Calder play a couple of games in September.
Remember this is just a trial draft.
It would be hard to pass on Max King in the real thing. Though Essendon need a genuinely quick midfielder. Colyer is never going to be good enough. Parish and McGrath are not legitimate line breakers for mine.
I would be rapt to grab Bytel in the second round and getting Smith in the fourth round surprised me significantly.

Pick 79 Jordon Butts 196cm 82 kg Key position Murray Bushrangers

Selected him two years in a row. Kiss of death?
Jordon is born in late December hence really young 19 year old.
Didn't get drafted as clubs questioned his maturity and his readiness for AFL footy is my guess.
He has a good year playing at centre half back and as a high hit up half forward. I see Jordon's best chance of an AFL career playing as a high half forward who is too athletic for players of similar height and too tall for similar athletes. Justin Westhoff like.
Jordan needs to find strength in his body and I question his competitiveness on occasion.
Kick is okay, reads ball well and has decent hands. Should have played for Vic Country this year.

Rationale
I picked a tall just for the balance of the draft however young Mosquito is too good not to be picked up. In the real thing Irving would have been called because of pure ability.
I thought Corbett would be available here and considered Jake Riccardi and James Rendell.
The other player who I think is a real show to be on an AFL list is Josh Kemp from Calder. He was a late addition to the Cannons list playing terrific footy at Essendon Grammar. He is a mid sized forward who has some outstanding talent.
My guess he may go top 60 in November if injuries are kind and Calder play a couple of games in September.
Remember this is just a trial draft.
It would be hard to pass on Max King in the real thing. Though Essendon need a genuinely quick midfielder. Colyer is never going to be good enough. Parish and McGrath are not legitimate line breakers for mine.
I would be rapt to grab Bytel in the second round and getting Smith in the fourth round surprised me significantly.
Was going to take Kemp with one of my picks in the 50s but I’ve only seen 1 of his games so it’s hard to get a good read but I agree he has some huge talent.

Pick 41 - Angus Hanrahan

Club - Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
Height - 181cm
Weight - 68kg

Strengths -

Attacking Disposal
Finishing
Kicking Skills
Composure
Decision making

Rationale -

With the Dogs struggling to kick the ball, especially inside 50 I was looking for a player that could add to our forward mix and fix some of our weaknesses. Hanrahan has two of the most important traits in which he has the composure and smarts to lower his eyes and find the best target and the foot skills to back this up which is good to see because sometimes you see players with good skills make poor decisions. Hanrahan is the sort of player that will need a few years to develop physically but I feel that he is a good pick for the Dogs at this stage.

Pick 59 - Buku Khamis

Club - Western Jets/Vic Metro
Height - 190cm
Weight - 81kg

Strengths -

Disposal by foot
Intercept Marking
Contested Marking
Composure
Defensive Efforts

Rationale -

Too good to fall through this late. Same with Jez McLennan. Khamis gives the Dogs a player that can develop over the next few years as a replacement for captain Easton Wood in the back line with his strengths being very similar to the Bulldogs skipper. At the dogs he will need to develop more football smarts but with intercept marking defenders like Adams, Naughton, Crozier and Wood to help him learn I am pretty confident that he will become a player for the Dogs in the future.

Pick 60 - Corey Rich

Club - Frankston VFL
Height - 183cm
Weight - 83kg

Strengths -

Goal Kicking
Good overhead marking
Can play midfield
Work rate (on and off field)
Speed

Rationale -

With Dickson injured over the last few years and our lack of genuine smaller forwards at the Bulldogs a mature player like Rich late in the draft would be more than welcomed by our supporters. Rich has been one of the leading goal kickers in the VFL this year despite playing for one of the bottom sides in Frankston which shows that he can find the goals with limited opportunity and has the speed that the Dogs lack forward of centre. This wasn't a hard pick for me at this stage of the draft.

Pick 77 - Stefan Radovanovic

Club - Western Jets/Vic Metro
Height - 192cm
Weight - 85kg

Strengths -

Attack on the ball
Versatility to play back and inside midfield
Athleticism
Size
Contested ball winning

Rationale -

Radovanovic is one of the players that I'd be more than happy for the Dogs to pick up. He gives the dogs some much needed body size in the middle of the ground where I believe that he will develop in time and is very aggressive around the ball always putting his body on the line, using his big body well. Another strength of Stefan's is his ability athletically as he appears to be quite quick for someone his size running the ball out of defence quite a lot for the Jets. Because of this he would make a nice combo with our less athletic tall inside mids like Bont, Dunkley and to a lesser extent Macrae in time.

Snoop Dog

This is usually where I pick an unknown South Australian. But not this time. Firstly I think Hayden Sampson should have been picked, he’s better than some of the fringe Victorians who have been selected. And I strongly considered Martin Frederick, but he was only the second best available.

Pick 87 Sydney - Caleb Graham (194cm, 84kg from Gold Coast Academy)

Talented and versatile big man, best played down back. Not too many key defenders I’d take ahead of him and think he should go much earlier.

Pick 85: Nick Hind

VFL | Essendon VFL | 180 cm | 75 kg

Hind is a player that I've loved for 2 years, and for me would be the best midfield talent in the VFL this year. His ability to break lines off half back, a wing or in the middle has been his main feature for most of the time, and his tenacity is something to behold. Needs to work on his strength and his kicking can be hit and miss but I feel he can have 8 years of good football for the Dees.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back