Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Hi board

Welcome to 2018 player sponsorship.

Sadly our BenKen was delisted, so we are going to need to consider another player as our sponsored player for 2018. All the best to BenKen in the future.

However, Katherine Smith is staying with the MFC next year - and even brought us a rising star nomination and everything - so unless there are strong objections to continuing as Katherine’s sponsor, I would say she’s a keeper. I like to think the great KS marks the end of our disturbing record as player sponsors and will bring us much good fortune in 2018.

Sponsorship - what’s it all about?

For those that haven’t been involved before, our board has for a number of years pooled together to raise money to sponsor a Melbourne player - last year 2 players (men’s and women’s code). It’s a nice way to show support of the team in 2018 and persuade yourself that you are somehow intrinsically involved in Melbourne’s success. This is particularly valuable in 2018 given it will be our first premiership since 1504.

You can nominate any sum you like as your contribution to be a part of our sponsor group. Bigfooty pitches in a couple of hundred to every board that rounds up sufficient sponsors too, so this represents an excellent opportunity to fleece Chief in the cause of making Melbourne a powerhouse again with money coming out of our ears and the biggest cheese boards known to mankind.

Any contribution is great. For amounts pledged between $50 and $99, Bigfooty gives you a premium gold account for one year, and for amounts of $100 and over, you get a premium platinum membership. These come with certain perks, such as removing the annoying banner ads on the site, access to a secret board to read and post pointless drivel, ability to change your name and so forth. For more information on what you get with a gold or platinum membership, ask someone who remembers all the details.

The MFC also provides nice things to sponsors - such as invitations to player events (like the season launch, and mid season player bbq) that I raffle amongst the sponsor group. Also raffled are things like MFC pins, posters, a signed player guernsey etc. Also you get to own a player’s soul for 12 months and manipulate their actions with the power of your mind.

The way it works is that you pledge the amount you would like to contribute now in this thread, and in the new year I will send a PM to you with account details to make your payment. Then you sit back like a boss and watch the premierships roll in. Don’t feel as though you need to come up with a minimum of $50 though, plenty of posters participate with a lesser amount so please don’t think you have to empty your account or be a zillionaire to get involved.

Who to sponsor?

Katherine Smith is locked in for 2018 (unless we request a change) so I propose we retain 20yo Katherine who promises to be a general in defence for many years to come.

Suggestions floating around for our AFL player to sponsor include Oskar Baker for his crazy hair and because the Count says he will be a gun. Also proposed is Harley Balic given he is contracted for 1 year so currently represents a chance of not making it past 2018 - therefore meets nicely our expectations based on previous years. Also he looks enigmatically moody so our efforts might cheer him up a bit.

So please post here if you are interested in participating and what your pledged amount it. Also feel free to make suggestions of who Bigfooty Demons should sponsor in 2018 - Oskar, Harley or someone else altogether if you have another brainwave.

I will go first and pledge $200 towards our 2018 sponsorship drive. I’m not bothered by which player, I have no doubt that Oskar or Harley or whoever else we settle on will do us proud.

Over to you.

Last edited:
Hi board

Sadly our BenKen was delisted, so we are going to need to consider another player as our sponsored player for 2018. All the best to BenKen in the future.

However, Katherine Smith is staying with the MFC next year - and even brought us a rising star nomination and everything - so unless there are strong objections to continuing as Katherine’s sponsor, I would say she’s a keeper. I like to think the great KS marks the end of our disturbing record as player sponsors and will bring us much good fortune in 2018.

For those that haven’t been involved before, our board has for a number of years pooled together to raise money to sponsor a Melbourne player - last year 2 players (men’s and women’s code). It’s a nice way to show support of the team in 2018 and persuade yourself that you are somehow intrinsically involved in Melbourne’s success. This is particularly valuable in 2018 given it will be our first premiership since 1504.

You can nominate any sum you like as your contribution to be a part of our sponsor group. Bigfooty pitches in a couple of hundred to every board that rounds up sufficient sponsors too, so this represents an excellent opportunity to fleece Chief in the cause of making Melbourne a powerhouse again with money coming out of our ears and the biggest cheese boards known to mankind.

Any contribution is great. For amounts pledged between $50 and $99, Bigfooty gives you a premium gold account for one year, and for amounts of $100 and over, you get a premium platinum membership. These come with certain perks, such as removing the annoying banner ads on the site, access to a secret board to read and post pointless drivel, ability to change your name and so forth. For more information on what you get with a gold or platinum membership, ask someone who remembers all the details.

The MFC also provides nice things to sponsors - such as invitations to player events (like the season launch, and mid season player bbq) that I raffle amongst the sponsor group. Also raffled are things like MFC pins, posters, a signed player guernsey etc. Also you get to own a player’s soul for 12 months and manipulate their actions with the power of your mind.

The way it works is that you pledge the amount you would like to contribute now in this thread, and in the new year I will send a PM to you with account details to make your payment. Then you sit back like a boss and watch the premierships roll in. Don’t feel as though you need to come up with a minimum of $50 though, plenty of posters participate with a lesser amount so please don’t think you have to empty your account or be a zillionaire to get involved.

Who to sponsor?

Katherine Smith is locked in for 2018 (unless we request a change) so I propose we retain 20yo Katherine who promises to be a general in defence for many years to come.

Suggestions floating around for our AFL player to sponsor include Oskar Baker for his crazy hair and because the Count says he will be a gun. Also proposed is Harley Balic given he is contracted for 1 year so currently represents a chance of not making it past 2018 - therefore meets nicely our expectations based on previous years. Also he looks enigmatically moody so our efforts might cheer him up a bit.

So please post here if you are interested in participating and what your pledged amount it. Also feel free to make suggestions of who Bigfooty Demons should sponsor in 2018 - Oskar, Harley or someone else altogether if you have another brainwave.

Also post here if you are interested in partici

I will go first and pledge $200 towards our 2018 sponsorship drive. I’m not bothered by which player, I have no doubt that Oskar or Harley or whoever else we settle on will do us proud.

Over to you.
Oskar because I was the first to suggest it. $100 again from me.

Hi board

Who to sponsor?

Also post here if you are interested in partici

Over to you.
I will match your pledge PG. Very happy with KS. Ok? OM's idea of OB sounds good. I also like RandB's idea, at least I think it was his, to sponsor an opposition player, with our record they are bound to be delisted; so I would like to nominate Dustin Martin, over to you.:drunk:

Oskar because I was the first to suggest it. $100 again from me.
Strong username to suggested player to sponsor ratio.

By the way PG who's available?

Also, in again, not sure how much though.

I should hear back from Mrs Melbourne lady about availability shortly - hazard a guess new draftees are likely still available and affordable and Balic but Lever would be too pricey for us. I should check whether we can sponsor a part of a player like Hogan’s left leg or Hunts headband

I will tip in $100 if you accept SA peso's. Go with the flow for nominees and not to be included in functions draws please.
Welcome back suspended person. Have you been baiting crow supporters again?

I’ll put you down for $400,000 so you know where you stand financially in the lead up to Christmas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll put you down for $400,000 so you know where you stand financially in the lead up to Christmas.
f I had of known I would have picked up the loose change that fell out of my wallet the other day. I think it was about 400k.

Oh well, might just have to break a $1m note.

Hi Sponsors - going well, we have some interest so far in Oskar with a K, Fritsch, Balic.

The MFC contacted me today and gave me a list of players remaining that are still available for a Bronze Player Sponsorship. If there is multiple interest in any one of them, they will choose the sponsor via ballot and offer others an alternative.

Okay - so the available pool consists of:

Bayley Fristch

Charlie Spargo

Corey Maynard

Harley Balic

Harrison Petty

Jake Lever

Lachlan Filipovic

Mitch King

Oskar Baker

So give consideration to the above, and those of you who are interested in being involved as a player sponsor for 2018 can nominate a preference for one or more of these guys and by the end of the week I will send our selections to MFC and see who we come up with.

I'm personally not too bothered. They all look nice. I like Oskar because he has a K in his name, Fristch because I saw him play for Casey and he looked pretty good, Balic because he looks like he needs cheering up, King because he is bigger than he used to be and Lever as a kind of crows troll.

Do we go Lever, Oskar, Fritsch? If we don't fluke Lever in the ballot we should get either Oskar or Bailey.
That’s a good idea - I expect a few to express interest in Lever so we may as well be in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back