2018 Braddon, Fremantle, Longman, Mayo, Perth - LABOR, LABOR, LABOR, CENTRE ALLIANCE, LABOR WIN

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not often I can find common ground with Trumble, but when he said Blot was “unhinged” and “bordering on demented” he really hit the mark.

Frankly, I'd love to see the Mad Monk back in the drivers seat because it would result in one of the greatest electoral routs favouring Labor in yonks. Trouble is he gets publicity way out of proportion to his parliamentary support from wing nuts like Blot, the confirmed bachelor and Ray Madley - his birth name and how appropriate. When your meagre parliamentary support comes from hacks like Andrews and Abetz your chances of a return to leadership are zero.

“I'm concerned about some on the radical left who take an ideological approach to policies around energy and environmental - and climate change mitigation that will have undue effects on our economy.” Georgina Downer (a member of the radical right wing IPA)

“I'm concerned about some on the radical left who take an ideological approach to policies around energy and environmental - and climate change mitigation that will have undue effects on our economy.” Georgina Downer (a member of the radical right wing IPA)
Translation ' why wont people think of the Rhineharts'

How’s that view even remotely radical right wing?

How’s that view even remotely radical right wing?

The mere mention of the word ideological to describe action on climate change is the problem.

For all of the various types of alternative energy sources and how they are applied, I am yet to see an ideology behind it. It's actually being realistic.

Downer's problem is the fact she just expected to get the seat because of her family connections. She's failed a number of times.

Yes, Downer is related to her Dad. Yes, she is an IPA ideologue, and most of those people wouldn't actually want to live in a society that did everything they said. Yes, she has been in Melbourne a long while. But she is still from Mayo and spent a good amount of time there. And I don't think it's fair to claim she isn't working to become a politician in much the same way others work at it. While losing previously, she has had to make contacts and build relationships and she has presumably been leveraging those since those losses.

She isn't as good as Sharkie. None of us are impressed by the IPA types that dominate the Liberal/Murdoch think tank community. Nonetheless, she's still allowed to have a crack, and the Libs obviously struggle to attract talented women, so I'm not sure the harshness in here is deserved.

This well researched piece on the by-elections by Tim Colebatch is worth a read.
Agreed. This is most pertinent to the current political landscape:
To state what should be obvious: if the government was expecting a swing of 5 per cent against it, or even 3 per cent, it would not have stood candidates in Braddon, Longman or Mayo. It contested these seats because it thought it could win them.

It delayed the elections for three months until a date it thought was ideal for its chances: the weekend on which Labor was scheduled to hold its national conference. Turnbull told us they were a referendum on Bill Shorten’s leadership: he didn’t say that because he thought it was a referendum Shorten would win.
remember that all three saw huge swings against the government in 2016: 4.8% in Braddon, 7.7% in Longman and 17.5% in Mayo. The Liberals were expecting to win some of that back. Instead, they lost on Saturday by even more.

And in Longman, they benefited this time from a larger One Nation vote, with a how-to-vote card preferencing them instead of Labor. I have pointed out before that the vast majority of One Nation voters do as they please on preferences, but One Nation’s 16% of the vote should have swung another 1.5% or more to the Liberal National Party. The 3.7% swing recorded on current figures masks an underlying swing against the government of more than 5%.

Yes, Downer is related to her Dad. Yes, she is an IPA ideologue, and most of those people wouldn't actually want to live in a society that did everything they said. Yes, she has been in Melbourne a long while. But she is still from Mayo and spent a good amount of time there. And I don't think it's fair to claim she isn't working to become a politician in much the same way others work at it. While losing previously, she has had to make contacts and build relationships and she has presumably been leveraging those since those losses.

She isn't as good as Sharkie. None of us are impressed by the IPA types that dominate the Liberal/Murdoch think tank community. Nonetheless, she's still allowed to have a crack, and the Libs obviously struggle to attract talented women, so I'm not sure the harshness in here is deserved.
Oh, it’s deserved. Politics isn’t for the squeamish and I’ve heard her as the right wing voice on the ABC on a weekly basis hand it out in spades and not be too concerned about the authenticity of her remarks.

Not only does she subscribe to the brutal extreme alt right policies of the IPA, she has not only lived in another state for some 20 years she had set up a business in that state then attempted to con the locals that she was really one of them.

Oh, it’s deserved. Politics isn’t for the squeamish and I’ve heard her as the right wing voice on the ABC on a weekly basis hand it out in spades and not be too concerned about the authenticity of her remarks.

Not only does she subscribe to the brutal extreme alt right policies of the IPA, she has not only lived in another state for some 20 years she had set up a business in that state then attempted to con the locals that she was really one of them.
I have listened to it too. The point is she is no different to a load of other MPs, so pretending she hasn't 'worked' for it in the same way, when we don't really know what's been going on behind the scenes, seems churlish. As I said, even by way of the losses she will have built networks.

And she is from Mayo. She grew up there. Lots of people return to where they grew up (especially to have a family). It's daft to ignore that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And she is from Mayo. She grew up there. Lots of people return to where they grew up (especially to have a family). It's daft to ignore that.
Has she really returned? Is she staying here or heading back to Melbourne?

I have listened to it too. The point is she is no different to a load of other MPs, so pretending she hasn't 'worked' for it in the same way, when we don't really know what's been going on behind the scenes, seems churlish. As I said, even by way of the losses she will have built networks.

She had said she and her family had settled in Victoria. She had lived in that State for some 20 years. She was active in the IPA which is headquartered in Victoria. She had opened a business in Victoria. It's not new news or supposition.

Having been absent for some 20 years to then attempt to portray herself as a dinky die Adelaide Hills person was always going to open her up to criticism. It's disingenuous and borderline stupid as voters aren't that easily taken in.

In any event, if that's the worst she cops in the political sphere she's got off lightly.

She and Pater should have sucked it up and moved on.

Has she really returned? Is she staying here or heading back to Melbourne?
She said on Sat night that she would run for Mayo in the Federal election. That has been the plan all along.
She had said she and her family had settled in Victoria. She had lived in that State for some 20 years. She was active in the IPA which is headquartered in Victoria. She had opened a business in Victoria. It's not new news or supposition.

Having been absent for some 20 years to then attempt to portray herself as a dinky die Adelaide Hills person was always going to open her up to criticism. It's disingenuous and borderline stupid as voters aren't that easily taken in.

In any event, if that's the worst she cops in the political sphere she's got off lightly.

She and Pater should have sucked it up and moved on.
So if you grew up in Newy and moved to Sydney for Uni and got a job there and lived there for a long while, would you say you are 'from Newy' or not?

She said on Sat night that she would run for Mayo in the Federal election. That has been the plan all along.

So if you grew up in Newy and moved to Sydney for Uni and got a job there and lived there for a long while, would you say you are 'from Newy' or not?
I wouldnt pretend I had the Newy voters best interest at heart because ' I grew up ' there.

The Libs made a big mistake and will make an even bigger mistake if Georgina Downer runs from Melbourne.

I wouldnt pretend I had the Newy voters best interest at heart because ' I grew up ' there.

The Libs made a big mistake and will make an even bigger mistake if Georgina Downer runs from Melbourne.
That obviously wasn't the question. People were mocking her for saying she was from there. She obviously was 'from Mayo'. People thought she was out of touch, but I reckon that has as much to do with Sharkie's comparative local strength and Downer's IPA politics, than it being that she was 'pretending' to be from there.

The mere mention of the word ideological to describe action on climate change is the problem.

For all of the various types of alternative energy sources and how they are applied, I am yet to see an ideology behind it.

Ha. You realise that NOTHING Australia does will make any statistical difference to global temperatures. Nothing. Reducing our emissions by 50% would make no difference.

On what possible basis is virtue signalling for the sake of it not ideological?

Downer's problem is the fact she just expected to get the seat because of her family connections. She's failed a number of times.

Plenty of kids of pollies have an entitlement mentality which manages to rub people completely the wrong way.

Given the swing against her compared to other seats, maybe its time she gave up?

Ha. You realise that NOTHING Australia does will make any statistical difference to global temperatures. Nothing. Reducing our emissions by 50% would make no difference.

Because coal is finished regardless. Can't compete in the marketplace in the long run, and phasing it out in a planned manner is going to set us up for decades of prosperity.

Because coal is finished regardless. Can't compete in the marketplace in the long run, and phasing it out in a planned manner is going to set us up for decades of prosperity.

Right, so India and China are going coal free are they?

You are going to replace coal exports with?

Right, so India and China are going coal free are they?

They're looking to. Renewables are increasing everywhere, and the share of fossils is decreasing everywhere. Markets will dry up there, and everywhere else, before too long. India in particular are now saying they've got enough of their own reserves to cope while they go clean and aren't looking to import. Meanwhile coal plant operators even here are realizing it's a moribund and unprofitable industry and shutting up shop. Not the greatest advertisement for Australian coal, I'd have thought.

You have to understand GC that Rats is like a dog with a bone. Even when digging a hole he’ll keep digging. The upshot will be a lengthy ponderous post. So beware. :)

You have to understand GC that Rats is like a dog with a bone. Even when digging a hole he’ll keep digging. The upshot will be a lengthy ponderous post. So beware. :)
Sorry that your politics doesn't allow you to think logically and leaves you to try and play the man instead. I guess I'll have to do the same in response: Your cartoon posting has been pretty crappy lately too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back