Prediction 2018 breakout player

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruzzy Maynard.

And the dark horse is Schazza. He was managed very conservatively last year, with the plan to go bang in 2018.:D

Definitely Shaz! Second year back from injury. All that class. Already performing at a high level.

A reasonable increase in his current level will see him really explode. His improvement comes from increasing his intercept marking and taking on those 45m diagonal kicks that open up the play.

I like that we're looking at him playing taller and reckon we've ear marked him for a similar role to what Lever provided Adelaide - where his pace isn't quite such an issue.

Big things ahead.

De Goey and Maynard to bully opposition midfields

I feel like there's so many that need to, and whether they do or not will determine how we travel in 2018.

There's only so long that you can hang your hat on potential, it's time for a few boys to really dig in and take the next step.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think De Goey and Moore. Are the two youngsters on the list who look to have A grade potential and can become stand out players in the comp. Hope Stephenson can join them in the future.

Definitely Shaz! Second year back from injury. All that class. Already performing at a high level.

A reasonable increase in his current level will see him really explode. His improvement comes from increasing his intercept marking and taking on those 45m diagonal kicks that open up the play.

I like that we're looking at him playing taller and reckon we've ear marked him for a similar role to what Lever provided Adelaide - where his pace isn't quite such an issue.

Big things ahead.

Oh man I hope you're right! Very few things in footy would me happier than to see Shaz become the player he could -and should- be.

He certainly deserves it after all that hard work.

I think we've got a group who could all step up to the next level in 2018, in fact we need them to.

That group is Cox, Broomy, Sier, Kirby, Wills, Scharenberg, Aish, Daicos and McLarty.

I think we've got a group who could all step up to the next level in 2018, in fact we need them to.

That group is Cox, Broomy, Sier, Kirby, Wills, Scharenberg, Aish, Daicos and McLarty.
All players that need to step up agreed, we do have a list full really. But who will break out and become a star?

Shazberg for mine.

We've invested so much in this kid and it's time for the investment to start to reap some ROI.

A classy half-backer that uses the ball well and sets up the play is obviously something the Pies lack massively.

Shazberg for mine.

We've invested so much in this kid and it's time for the investment to start to reap some ROI.

A classy half-backer that uses the ball well and sets up the play is obviously something the Pies lack massively.

Yes definitely!

And Tom Phillips will have a breakout year too!

All players that need to step up agreed, we do have a list full really. But who will break out and become a star?

In terms of becoming stars I think you could throw a blanket over Moore, Scharenberg, Grundy, DeGoey, and Maynard who could all push toward A grade in 2018. Moore and Grundy are already close when you compare them against peers of the same age.

WHE is another who could surprise in 2018. Preseason this year was his 1st uninterrupted and combined with settling into a new club 2017 was always going to be a tough year. Think he could unleash in 2018.

Think Langdon is another who'll take another step in 2018. Not sure he has A-grade in him but hopefully we see more of the good more consistently. A very good B-grade defender never goes astray.

Agree. Depends on what "breakout" means of course. I interpret it to become an B+ or A grade player. Of these, I'm thinking it's too much to ask of Cox (reckon he's more a B), Sier, Kirby, Will and Daicos. They could all be solid performers. The others could get to B+ though. And boy do we need it.

Agree. Depends on what "breakout" means of course. I interpret it to become an B+ or A grade player. Of these, I'm thinking it's too much to ask of Cox (reckon he's more a B), Sier, Kirby, Will and Daicos. They could all be solid performers. The others could get to B+ though. And boy do we need it.

I’m with you that it depends on your definition of breakout! For me it’s going from 15+ on a club list into the top 10 and one of the most important. More often than not it’s also built on a change in role or exposure in a different area of the field. Guys like JDG and Maynard are also prime candidates for that very reason.

However Moore is the one, IMO. The biggest criticism I have of his game is the lack of movement. He’s almost always stagnant forward of the ball and never presses up to provide an outlet and struggles to get “easy” ball as much as Rocca did. As it stands for him to have a 15 possession game he has to take 10 or so marks with 3-4 contested and that’s a heavy workload for a 3rd year KPF.

Projecting forward to 2018 and the change in role to include defensive minutes is perfect to free him up. I’ll back him in to capitalise and become free wheeling whilst back there, but there is that lingering doubt because of how dour he was in defense as jnr plus in his early games at VFL level. If it isn’t Moore I’d also suggest Cox is next in line because of our dearth of KPF options and his late season consistency!

I’ve also seen a few mentions of Wills and Sier so I have to ask, why? What are they adding to their games to see them breakout aside from another pre-season under their belt? Most players get one of those every year so what makes them stand out when it was challenging enough to get midfield minutes before the likes of JDG and Maynard go through there...

To have a break out year you need to become a regular on the white board
Cox will be, Murray will be , shaz will be , broomy better be , Stephenson and kirby maybe
Impact on games and commentator hype will dictate opinion
Scoos right positional movement will improve output and improve us
Time to find out is this year
I'm going for Murray , rising star smokey

Big things ahead.
I thought his pace improved the further he went into last season. Still below average but not the liability that it could have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back