2018 Brownlow Medal - Congrats Tom Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol theres some great sooking in this thread... Everyone got weird votes...

Mitchell got 46 disposals against Lions in Round 9. Didnt poll.
Mitchell got 50 disposals/13 tackles against GWS in Round 15. polled 2 votes

Clarko falling asleep was the best thing about the night

To be honest the whole night needs a revamp ...it’s as boring as bat poo to watch

My simple suggestion ...start the count at round 15 .....

7 rounds will do .......

MITCHELL awesome achievement well done, great player ...and one that will see hawks contend again soon
And allow Channel 7 to pad 8 rounds out over 2 and a half hours. No thanks

Richmond surely broke a record tonight or two

Most games won with the opposition getting the 3 votes 7 times

Most times winning the game and the opponent having 2/3 of the votes

Also winning by 80 and somehow the oppo getting 3 votes
Richmond lose by 50 something points, get all 6 votes. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

How much does media attention and speculation impact the umpires? Gawn @ Grundy polled late. Were the umpires finally recognizing them due to them being favoured and talked about as the season went on? They both should’ve polled more earlier in the season?

Did an Oompa Loompa go missing from the Chocolate Factory?

Seriously who doesn’t tell the poor girl that she looks like she could blend in on a fruit stand she was that orange?
Is it just me or does she look aboriginal instead of it being a fake tan?

How much does media attention and speculation impact the umpires? Gawn @ Grundy polled late. Were the umpires finally recognizing them due to them being favoured and talked about as the season went on? They both should’ve polled more earlier in the season?

100% spot on

Don’t tell me umps don’t read and watch VIC 360

That’s so obvious

Is it just me or does she look aboriginal instead of it being a fake tan?
Please no. The media will seize on some random twitter comments and posts on here and turn it into some huge racism/sexism storm (they may already do the latter) for a few days despite that not being the intent of nearly everyone in here posting on the matter.

It shouldn’t matter if a team got thrashed by 100 or won by 100, the most influential player on the ground should get the 3 votes regardless. That’s how it should work, but it doesn’t and that’s why the Brownlow isn’t really a proper MVP award.
Yeah, Tom Mitchell won the MVP as well. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't watch the Brownlow, Sidebottom should have won. Mitchell should have been suspended for his behind the play strike earlier in the year.
I agree Mitchell should have probably gotten a week, but does a guy who polls 1 vote in 8 games against top 8 teams really deserve to win either? Feel like Grundy or Gawn were the real ones robbed if we're talking hypothetically. Mitchell is a deserving winner imo.

That the angry crab did not poll a single vote tells you all you need to know about the integrity of the Brownlow.
Maynedog Millionaire would gap the field by 20 votes if it were a level playing field.

Well done to Mitchell, played some great football and works defensively, too, reckon he's as worthy a winner as anyone.
Gussy Brayshaw great stuff, fantastic comeback from the concussion problems.
Sidebottom did well, Cripps with the cornboy special.
Shame it's a midfielder'a medal and Gawn / Grundy and KPPs have no chance from the word go.

Top fella, Snags Higgins, reckon some pretentious 'Intellectuals' look down their noses a bit on him, but he's a good fella and can absolutely play footy.
That said, Parker's was legal and a better effort, to name one, Higgins super instinct / nous but it was a throw. No dramas with it being paid in game, but can't have it in the running for goal of the year.

I think that's obviously true. You also see big drop offs once people get suspended.

The most stupid thing about the voting system is umpires are probably the worst placed spectators to decide who played well and didn't. They are the only people who watch a game not concentrating on who is playing well, because they are doing their job, ie, concentrating on whether or not players are breaking the rules. I remember experiencing similar voting systems when reffing basketball, and you would finish the game with only a vague idea of who was good and who wasn't because that isn't what you're looking for when you're officiating a game.

I think a by far better method would be for the opposition coach to assign votes (3-2-1 for a winning opponent, 2-1 for a losing opponent). More than anyone else, they are the person best placed to assess who was most damaging- I mean it's basically their job to figure that out

Pretty terrible coverage. CH7 employ people who can do the job but don't excel at the job in any way. No chemistry between interviewees and players beside Fyfe. Jack Higgins was the best thing all night.

Rucks severely under polled, this award is a sheer embarrassment. What sport has an MVP award that is only won by 1 position. Umpires focus on umpiring the game, not worrying about who is BOG. The Williams one was rigged.

What a garbage count.

So much unnecessary garbage like usual. 7 stooped to even lower lows this year with interviews focusing on blokes having ******* beards.

Umpires have no ******* idea. Been obvious for a while but this year even worse than usual. I don’t get how you can umpire a game of footy and focus so much on midfielders and in particular a couple of names. Sidebottom had a good year and has probably underpolled previously but there’s no way he was the second best player in the league. Likewise with Brayshaw. Gawn and Grundy were bloody dominating games week after week and constantly going unrecognised despite some enormous efforts. If Gawn can’t poll really well after this season then I don’t think we’re ever going to see a non-midfielder win it again.

Well done to Mitchell though. Deserved winner. Thought he was stiff not to get a few more votes too.

I agree Mitchell should have probably gotten a week, but does a guy who polls 1 vote in 8 games against top 8 teams really deserve to win either? Feel like Grundy or Gawn were the real ones robbed if we're talking hypothetically. Mitchell is a deserving winner imo.

I don't really have an opinion on who deserves it, I think the MRP went soft on Mitchell because he was the hot favourite at the time. There should be one rule for everyone. Others got done for less. AFL needs to stop making things up as they go and have some consistency and transparency.

I have nothing against Mitchell, the hit was pretty mediocre and did no real damage, but a rule is a rule, they gave Sicily one week from the same match for a far softer incident. We just have a garbage lucky dip system and it is irritating.

I don't really have an opinion on who deserves it, I think the MRP went soft on Mitchell because he was the hot favourite at the time. There should be one rule for everyone. Others got done for less. AFL needs to stop making things up as they go and have some consistency and transparency.

I have nothing against Mitchell, the hit was pretty mediocre and did no real damage, but a rule is a rule, they gave Sicily one week from the same match for a far softer incident. We just have a garbage lucky dip system and it is irritating.
Can’t disagree with all that, they have done the same in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
But, I wouldn’t take anything away from Tom, he and the improvement of jaeger were huge reasons hawthorn finished fifth imo.

Haha, Mitchell laying purple cables for Straya.
No activated almonds for Tommy. This settles all arguments about his worthiness. Australian of the year, daylight second.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back