2018 Brownlow Medal - Congrats Tom Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
7f42ecd025fda0fc675689c4e1feb8e1

Preview

Hawthorn ball magnet Tom Mitchell is the clear favourite after producing a phenomenal season where he averaged 35.3 disposals and amassed 40+ touches on 11 occasions in 2018.

All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn and reigning Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin are two of the main contenders to cause an upset, while Carlton bull Patrick Cripps is firmly in the mix, despite the Blues winning just two games this season.

Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy and Melbourne young gun Clayton Oliver should also finish in the top handful following dominant seasons, while Brisbane midfielder Dayne Beams and Bulldog Jackson Macrae are solid chances to be shock winners.

Venue: Crown Palladium in Melbourne.
Date; Monday September 24.

How is it decided?

The Brownlow Medal honours the fairest and best player in the competition. Umpires vote on the award on a 3-2-1 basis after every match, with the player who receives the most votes at the end of the home-and-away season crowned the champion.

Multiple winners are crowned if two or more players receive the most votes. Players who have been suspended throughout the season are ineligible to win the Brownlow.

Broadcast Details

brownlow_broadcast.png

Brownlow Medal Media and Guides
Media
Betting
  • Tom Mitchell (HAW) $1.57
  • Dustin Martin (RIC) $8
  • Max Gawn (MEL) $9
  • Patrick Cripps (CAR) $14
  • Brodie Grundy (COL) $16
  • Clayton Oliver (MEL) $21
  • Jackson Macrae (WB) $21
  • Dayne Beams (BL) $21

Oliver and Sidebottom to poll well. Chances at the top 3.

I didn't realise people were still discussing the winner? It was decided 2 months ago. The biggest certainty since Crawf.

Hawthorn have won 5 more games during the season compared to last year and in the 15 games that Hawthorn have won this year Mitchell will likely poll a lot of 3’s and 2’s. Plus there’s not a standout Hawks player who will steal any votes from him.

You look at Gawn for example and despite his dominant season, Melbourne have got Oliver, Brayshaw, Hogan, T.McDonald who will all steal votes in some of the games.

The same situation at Collingwood with Grundy you’ve got Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom, De Goey and Adams all likely to poll some votes.

1 Mitchell, (Haw), (45 votes)
2 Cripps, (Carl), (38 votes)
3 Gawn, (Melb), (36 votes)
4 Grundy, (Coll), (35 votes)
5 Higgins, (NM), (30 votes)
6 Martin, (Rich), (27 votes)
7 Breust, (Haw), (25 votes)
8 Sidebottom, (Coll), (23 votes)
9 Fyfe, (FRE), (20 votes)
10 Polec, (PA) and Pendles, (COLL), (19 votes)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Grundy will be the biggest disappointment. Collingwood to evenly spread their votes across Sidebottom, Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury and De Goey all polling 10-15. Happy to be proven wrong.

Coniglio is my smokey to take it home.

Think Grundy will be the biggest disappointment. Collingwood to evenly spread their votes across Sidebottom, Grundy, Treloar, Pendlebury and De Goey all polling 10-15. Happy to be proven wrong.

Coniglio is my smokey to take it home.
Considering AFL predictor think Dusty will win, I'll predict he'll be the biggest disappointment.
I just don't see him getting anywhere near the # of votes needed to topple Mitchell. (who could have it wrapped up with a month to go)

My friend who’s works at Crown claims that the control room of the palladium have been playing Gawn highlights earlier today

My friend who’s works at Crown claims that the control room of the palladium have been playing Gawn highlights earlier today
This happened the other year, when someone at Crown said that they did a mock announcement ceremony and Josh Kennedy was announced as the winner.

No one would get told the winner before the count. The potential for rorting is too great.

1 Mitchell, (Haw), (45 votes)
2 Cripps, (Carl), (38 votes)
3 Gawn, (Melb), (36 votes)
4 Grundy, (Coll), (35 votes)
5 Higgins, (NM), (30 votes)
6 Martin, (Rich), (27 votes)
7 Breust, (Haw), (25 votes)
8 Sidebottom, (Coll), (23 votes)
9 Fyfe, (FRE), (20 votes)
10 Polec, (PA) and Pendles, (COLL), (19 votes)
I find it hard to believe 5 players will poll 30 or more

I find it hard to believe 5 players will poll 30 or more
So do i although it feels like votes are trending up for the top players the last few years so wouldn't be totally crazy. I think the umpires get swept up in the narrative. So there is less spread of votes and more concentrated amongst the favourites. I have absolutely zero data to back that up however.

Cripps getting 38 in a team that won 2 games and copped some beltings would be the most impressive brownlow effort of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back