Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lang and Garlett are my two.

Same. There is just no way Lang is not a regular in the team next season.

Keep in mind that in all reality anyone in our top 25 will play virtually every week because it is so rare the 22 top guys at any point in time have no one injured. The average missing most weeks would be 3 or 4 of best 22 so anyone named emergency in this poll almost certainly in side, week to week.

Dow and Lang ... I was going to say ‘are neck-and- neck’ but realised Dow has an advantage there ... are on the same number of votes at this stage with Garlett next ...

So BF posters, your vote can decide the last spot in the Consensus 22.

Great job Matty411

Keep in mind that in all reality anyone in our top 25 will play virtually every week because it is so rare the 22 top guys at any point in time have no one injured. The average missing most weeks would be 3 or 4 of best 22 so anyone named emergency in this poll almost certainly in side, week to week.
There’s also our 7 lots of 6 day breaks, and 3 have an interstat leg. So I think there’ll be 3-5 rotations over these breaks. I am worried about the Sydney match on the Friday night which is at the end of a double 6 day break.

Tell Richmond that, I think they had 3-4 injuries all year

Lang has come out of a side who got knocked out of a prelim, albeit the cats, so surely has to fit into a side that finished bottom 4? Dow is still an unknown at this level, he will get his chance no doubt but we will need to see how he travels in preseason, which left me with Lang and Garlett.

It is good to see the spread of votes because now it looks like we are finally creating depth, whereas back in 2011, even though the side was travelling well, we only had about 3-4 players who could come in to make up numbers

Tell Richmond that, I think they had 3-4 injuries all year

1 or 2 clubs each season will stray from the expected average. Very often one of them will be in the grand final. Hard to see Tigers even in grand final if Shiel not injured, Jeremy Cameron plays, Mumford plays and Devon Smith plays. That is the luck of the game sometimes. When the luck on your side got to ride it for all it is worth. We had even less luck than GWS in our 2000 finals campaign.

1 or 2 clubs each season will stray from the expected average. Very often one of them will be in the grand final. Hard to see Tigers even in grand final if Shiel not injured, Jeremy Cameron plays, Mumford plays and Devon Smith plays. That is the luck of the game sometimes. When the luck on your side got to ride it for all it is worth. We had even less luck than GWS in our 2000 finals campaign.

Agree with that so much, the Tigers to their credit, had a lot of things go their way and took full advantage of it.

Just 3 votes in it peeps! If you haven't yet voted, make it count. Will it be Lang or Dow? Dow or Lang?

Seems whomever doesn't get the nod will join Jarrod Garlett and one of Mullett or LOB as our emergencies for Round 1.

Following this, we'll have a weekend vote on our Consensus Leaders for 2018 then wrap it all up in one big bow.

Lang has come out of a side who got knocked out of a prelim, albeit the cats, so surely has to fit into a side that finished bottom 4?

Rhys Palmer says hello. (Nothing against Lang, just the reasoning).

It is good to see the spread of votes because now it looks like we are finally creating depth, whereas back in 2011, even though the side was travelling well, we only had about 3-4 players who could come in to make up numbers

This is said every year, without fail. This time I agree you.

On paper the best 2011 side was (games played in brackets):
2018 Consensus side
Touhy(11), Jamison(14), Laidler(19) ( Byrne, Jones, Plowman
Scotland(24), Henderson(15), Simpson(24) (Marchbank, Weitering, Simpson)
Yarran(23), Judd(24), Gibbs(23) (SPS, Ed Curnow, Murphy)
Garlett(24), Waite(12), Robinson(23) (C Curnow, Caz, Pickett)
Betts(24), Walker(24), Kreuzer(12) (Wright, McKay, SOJ)

Warnock(20), Carrots(18), Murphy(24) (Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy

I/C Curnow(12), Duigan(22), Armfield (15), McLean (4) (Williamson, Cuningham, Fisher, (?Dow)

I reckon all of those named in the 2011 team could play at the level, though Touhy and Ed were in their first playing seasons and McLean - with us - took a long time to overcome injuries and was actually hopeless in 2011.

In the WCE final of 2011 missing were: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Waite, Curnow and McLean (all injured, Gibbs tragically in the dying minutes of the previous week's final v *). They were replaced by Setanta (8), Ellard (19), Thornton (20), Joseph (11) and Davies (8). Ellard had a good season and a decent game and was just AFL standard. Thornton was not (IMO) AFL standard (despite 181 career games) but he had a good first half in the final and his injury before 1/2 time cost us badly. It is fair to say Setanta, Joseph and Davies were not AFL standard so we played effectively 3 down.

Of the WCE side playing that day only McGinnity was not AFL standard.

The others on our list, but not necessarily available to play were: Austin(1), Bower(3), Collins(2), Hampson(9), Houlihan(6), Kerr, Labi, Lucas(2), Mitchell, McCarthy, McInnes, O'Keefe(1), Russell(16), Watson, White(6) and Bray.

Houlihan was finished in 2011. Russell had 1 good year (2010). None of the rest - 14 others - could ever play at the level.

Comparing 2011 with 2018
FB: IMO Jones = Jamo, Byrne and Plowman are upgrades on 1st year Tuohy and Laidler.
HB: Simmo 2011 was better than he is, just. Weiters better than Hendo, Scotland and Marchbank are different players. [Doc would be here but for I]
C: 2011 well ahead with Gibbs then better than MM now, Yarran then better than SPS now (probably), Judd a bit better than Ed.
HF: Charlie better than Garlett, Caz = Waite (half injured), Robinson better than Pickett (but who knows).
FF: Betts better than Wright, Walker better than Harry, Kreuzer better than SOJ
Ruck: Kreuzer better than Warnock, Cripps better than Carrazzo, Murphy better than Kennedy.
I/C: Curnow = Fisher, Williamson better than Duigan, Cuningham = Armfield, Dow an upgrade on injured McLean.

The above comparisons are necessarily made without knowledge of improvement in the many youngsters in the 2018 side (or the possible injuries, form lapses, etc).

The important point is the 2018 depth. IMO Rowe (at least pre-injury) and ASOS can play at the level. Although by no means proven there is much to think Garlett, Lang, Macreadie, LO'B, O'Shea and Polson will become regular AFL footballers.

Lobbe and Philips do not look like achieving anything other than back-up roles but are a step up on 2011 Hampson (or even 2018 Hampson).

Kerridge, Lamb, Graham, Mullet and Shaw have been tried and found wanting but are clearly an upgrade on say Lucas, Russell, Collins, White and O'Keefe.

Thomas next year is the exact equivalent of Houlihan circa 2011.

Then the youngsters: Lebois, Kerr, JGM, McDaid, Schumacher are probably equivalent to Austin, Mitchell, Mccarthy, McInnes, Watson, Labi and Bray but we know we missed on all of those in 2011 which cant be known of our youngsters now.

Conclusion (TLDR)

Our 2018 list is favourably comparable to our 2011 list. It does not have the same number of already recognised A graders but it has many more with such future pretensions. More importantly it has much greater depth than the 2011 list such that unless we are struck down severely with injuries I fancy we will not have to play anyone who is a proven non-AFL level footballer.

We very nearly finished top 4 in 2011. I do not expect to do so well in 2018 but I do expect 10 wins and an outside chance for finals if everyone continues to improves as much as they have done thus far. Particularly Harry. He is our leading goal scorer (by average). If he could go from 1.5 goals per game to 2.5 to 3 goals per game and play most weeks (50 to 60 goals for the season) it will be a question of hold on to your hats.

Lang has come out of a side who got knocked out of a prelim, albeit the cats, so surely has to fit into a side that finished bottom 4? Dow is still an unknown at this level, he will get his chance no doubt but we will need to see how he travels in preseason, which left me with Lang and Garlett.

The other way to look at it is geelong accepted a pick in the 50s and a swap of 4th rounders for Lang.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consensus 2017 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (83) - Caleb Marchbank (93) - Lachie Plowman (101)
HB: Sam Docherty (108) - Jacob Weitering (106) - Kade Simpson (101)
C: Marc Murphy (119) - Ed Curnow (102) - Sam Petrevski-Seton (60)
HF: Charlie Curnow (107) - Harry McKay (93) - Jack Silvagni (117)
FF: Liam Sumner (69) - Levi Casboult (73) - Matthew Wright (80)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (83) - Bryce Gibbs (120) - Patrick Cripps (120)
I: Sam Rowe (38) - Rhys Palmer (26) - Jarrod Pickett (65) - David Cuningham (49)
Emg: Sam Kerridge (34) - Dennis Armfield (32) - Andrew Phillips (31)​
Consensus 2018 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (98) - Liam Jones (156) - Lachie Plowman (161)
HB: Caleb Marchbank (164) - Jacob Weitering (156) - Kade Simpson (150)
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton (175) - Ed Curnow (157) - Marc Murphy (175)
HF: Charlie Curnow (150) - Levi Casboult (108) - Jarrod Pickett (143)
FF: Matthew Wright (119) - Harry McKay (101) - Jack Silvagni (135)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (181) - Patrick Cripps (183) - Matthew Kennedy (177)
I: Tom Williamson (76) - David Cuningham (67) - Zac Fisher (64) - X
EMG:​

Observations

So this time last year we had Palmer and Sumner in the Consensus 22 and Armfield as an emergency.

We also did not pick Thomas.

We had the 1 first year player in the 18, SPS. Of our 2016 draftees, Fisher and Williamson join SPS in the current Consensus 22.

Of the latest batch of draftees, Dow is up there for the 22nd spot.

We also selected Pickett and Marchbank in the 22 being new recruits (along with Palmer). Kennedy similarly finds himself recently recruited and in the Consensus 22, and Lang is either 22nd player or an emergency.

We had all 5 of our 2015 draftees in the 22. This carries on in the current Consensus 22.

We certainly did not see Jones coming last year.

17 players have held their position in the Consensus 22. Neither of Kerridge or Phillips (or Armfield) who were Consensus emergencies last year have held their position.

My thoughts

On games played, I think Byrne is perhaps the luckiest player to find a spot in the Consensus 22. I see Willa starting in his spot and both Dow and Lang in the 22 as an additional midfielder (both are fighting it out for the 22nd spot).

On a similar basis, I think McKay might have to earn his spot in the 22 rather than start in the 22. Could see Garlett bolt his way into the 22 early in the season. Will be a particularly good outcome if McKay plays 15 senior matches next year and looks good for 2019.

We have moved away from having 2 ruckmen with Phillips (and Lobbe) seen as cover if Kreuzer has an injury or needs a rest. Neither make it in the 25. Casboult is the relief ruckman, and I am interested if McKay is learning the ruck craft (anyone see him rucking at training?).

A number of players unlucky not to be in the Consensus 22: Macreadie, Lamb, O’Brien, Garlett, one of Lang or Dow, Mullett, Polson, Kerr ...

The bench of Willa, Fisher and Cuningham and one of Lang or Dow looks really good IMO.

There is plenty of run and pace with Murphy, Pickett, Willa, Fisher and Cuningham (and one of Lang or Dow) and Ed. Moreso if Garlett, LO’b and a Polson come into the side.

Observations

So this time last year we had Palmer and Sumner in the Consensus 22 and Armfield as an emergency.

We also did not pick Thomas.

We had the 1 first year player in the 18, SPS. Of our 2016 draftees, Fisher and Williamson join SPS in the current Consensus 22.

Of the latest batch of draftees, Dow is up there for the 22nd spot.

We also selected Pickett and Marchbank in the 22 being new recruits (along with Palmer). Kennedy similarly finds himself recently recruited and in the Consensus 22, and Lang is either 22nd player or an emergency.

We had all 5 of our 2015 draftees in the 22. This carries on in the current Consensus 22.

We certainly did not see Jones coming last year.

17 players have held their position in the Consensus 22. Neither of Kerridge or Phillips (or Armfield) who were Consensus emergencies last year have held their position.

My thoughts

On games played, I think Byrne is perhaps the luckiest player to find a spot in the Consensus 22. I see Willa starting in his spot and both Dow and Lang in the 22 as an additional midfielder (both are fighting it out for the 22nd spot).

On a similar basis, I think McKay might have to earn his spot in the 22 rather than start in the 22. Could see Garlett bolt his way into the 22 early in the season. Will be a particularly good outcome if McKay plays 15 senior matches next year and looks good for 2019.

We have moved away from having 2 ruckmen with Phillips (and Lobbe) seen as cover if Kreuzer has an injury or needs a rest. Neither make it in the 25. Casboult is the relief ruckman, and I am interested if McKay is learning the ruck craft (anyone see him rucking at training?).

A number of players unlucky not to be in the Consensus 22: Macreadie, Lamb, O’Brien, Garlett, one of Lang or Dow, Mullett, Polson, Kerr ...

The bench of Willa, Fisher and Cuningham and one of Lang or Dow looks really good IMO.

There is plenty of run and pace with Murphy, Pickett, Willa, Fisher and Cuningham (and one of Lang or Dow) and Ed. Moreso if Garlett, LO’b and a Polson come into the side.
Couldn’t have put it better mate. Safe to say that this year’s 22 is far stronger and has much, much more depth.

Loving it.

More I think that Geelong is a club that will help players get to where they want to go.

No shame in Lang being behind all of Danger, Selwood, Ablett and Guthrie.
Everyone forgets Duncan, been enormous for the Cats this season.

Stig O'Hara is the other member of his Carlton Fan Club.

Final tally on final bench spot & emergency :-

1. Paddy Dow
    67 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. Darcy Lang
    66 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Jarrod Garlett
    39 vote(s)
    31.2%
  4. Lochie O'Brien
    15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Dale Thomas
    10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Aaron Mullett
    19 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. Cam O'Shea
    2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Cam Polson
    6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. Sam Kerridge
    7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  10. Matt Shaw
    4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  11. Nick Graham
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Andrew Phillips
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Matthew Lobbe
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Angus Schumacher
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Harrison Macreadie
    6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  16. Alex Silvagni
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Tom De Koning
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Patrick Kerr
    1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  19. Kym Lebois
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Sam Rowe
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Cillian McDaid
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%

So our Best 22 has been run and done! Congrats to new kid Paddy Dow on making the 22 and taking the final spot on our bench, along with Willo, Cunners and Fish.

I'll post the final side in the OP along with a noice team view. Last thing to vote on - just for fun - is the Leadership Group (poll pending, because we haven't had enough polls yet).

The idea will be this:
  • We all get FIVE votes
  • One will be for who you believe to be our best choice for 2018 Captain and Club Leader
  • Two votes will go towards our Club Vice-Captains
  • Two further votes are then for who you believe to be the best players to make up a leadership group for the Carlton Football Club in 2018
  • ALL Players are eligible, so Doc can finally be voted for #DocLove

Last edited:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - I’ve regrettably forgotten Simmo in the leaders poll and looking to get this rectified immediately.

Look out for the changes and possible reset poll shortly.

Who didn't vote for Murph or Doc?

WTF...

I didn’t vote for Doc because he won’t be playing, and by his own account will be away from the club for significant periods during the rehab. Also because he doesn’t need the title to be a leader during 2018.

Voted for Plow instead. Good opportunity for him or another kid to step up.

I didn’t vote for Doc because he won’t be playing, and by his own account will be away from the club for significant periods during the rehab. Also because he doesn’t need the title to be a leader during 2018.

Voted for Plow instead. Good opportunity for him or another kid to step up.
I guess your call is reasonable however, Murphy!?

Back