Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit confused, a lot of votes for Doc, even though he won't be playing. I didn't vote for him because of that, but then I guess this vote is hypothetical after all.
Hypothetically, if Doc hadn't ruptured his ACL, he would totally be in my leadership group for 2018.

As it is I named:
Murph (C)
Cripps (VC)
Simmo (VC)
Ed (add.)
Thomas (add.)

I'm a bit confused, a lot of votes for Doc, even though he won't be playing. I didn't vote for him because of that, but then I guess this vote is hypothetical after all.
Hypothetically, if Doc hadn't ruptured his ACL, he would totally be in my leadership group for 2018.

As it is I named:
Murph (C)
Cripps (VC)
Simmo (VC)
Ed (add.)
Thomas (add.)
He’s still at the club and at training. Why can’t he be in the leadership group?

Didn't realize he was known for being much of a talker, big Krooz. I'd have given him the nod otherwise.

He's not a great talker, but easily the biggest on-field leader. Always sets the standard for effort and that counts for a lot.

He’s still at the club and at training. Why can’t he be in the leadership group?

He can still be a leader at the club without being in the leadership group. Meanwhile I had understood that the leadership group are expected to provide on-field leadership on match day - which Doc will sadly be unable to provide next season.

He can still be a leader at the club without being in the leadership group. Meanwhile I had understood that the leadership group are expected to provide on-field leadership on match day - which Doc will sadly be unable to provide next season.
Doc 100% will be in the leadership group.

Not going to vote on the Leadership.

I was so certain of what was going to happen with Leadership in 2018 - Doc (c), Crippa (vc) and Murphy, Simpson, Curnow and maybe a Plowman and/or Weitering inducted in .......then Doc went down, and now only the Club internally can know the best short term action.

Don't think Doc will leave the leadership group.

In a break with tradition, Carlton appointed it’s Captain and Leadership Group in line with a supporters’ poll on Big Footy.

Fans surprisingly installed Patrick Cripps as Captain instead of incumbent Marc Murphy. Murphy was expected to hold on to the job for another year following a season-ending injury to Sam Docherty.

Murphy is one of two Vice-Captains along with Docherty who will take on an expanded off-field role next season. The evergreen Kade Simpson and Ed Curnow round out Carlton’s Leadership Group.

* More to come *

I didn’t vote for doc due to his year off. He will be involved tremendously but I figured I’d give MK Ultra his spot for the year, considering the number of votes we had. Doc will still be in the group for 2018 as a non playing member. Like mentioned, not a big talker but I think he’s in a good spot with his recent run of form and staying on the park. He’ll lead with actions, not his (few) words, and that’s ok.
I get the calls for Samo to be included but I’d like him to have another year or two to really focus on his craft. He (and others of similar age) will be ‘coming of age’ so to speak right around the time that some of the older heads like Simmo and Murph begin to depart the club. No need to rush him in. Reckon we could see slightly older guys like Plow and Weitering find their way in before Samo due to age and experience.

Could see:

Murph, Simmo, Gibbs, Ed, Dennis, Doc, Cripps

Murph, Simmo, Ed, Doc, Cripps, Kreuzer, Plow?

2019?
Doc, Cripps, Murph, Ed, Kreuzer, Plow?, Weitbot??

2020???
Doc, Cripps, Kreuzer, Plow?, Weitering??, Samo???, Kennedy/Charlie/Fish/etc???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow. I'm surprised that so far there's not much love for SPS as a leader.

Looks like you're the only one who voted him in!

If restricted to 5, there is no way you'd have him above the other guys who have hogged the votes...not yet anyway.
His time will come.

In say, 2 years time I could see the first 5 being something like Doc, Cripps, Weitering, SPS & Plowman.

Looks like you're the only one who voted him in!

If restricted to 5, there is no way you'd have him above the other guys who have hogged the votes...not yet anyway.
His time will come.

In say, 2 years time I could see the first 5 being something like Doc, Cripps, Weitering, SPS & Plowman.
I'm happy to be the only one. It may be premature in other's eyes but it is an Internet forum after all and I (for one) think he's ready.

I like the professionalism he brings and the example he sets for all his teammates and in particular the promising list of young Aboriginal men we have on our list.

2 years time might be what it is in the end, but I don't think age should get mixed up with maturity.

I'm happy to be the only one. It may be premature in other's eyes but it is an Internet forum after all and I (for one) think he's ready.

I like the professionalism he brings and the example he sets for all his teammates and in particular the promising list of young Aboriginal men we have on our list.

2 years time might be what it is in the end, but I don't think age should get mixed up with maturity.

Who would you knock out of the current top 5?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would you knock out of the current top 5?
Curnow. He's the 5th with 60-odd%? SPS offers more.
Is probably a better footballer already. Certainly will be far better.
Curnow definitely is an advertisement for getting the most out of the gifts you are given with hard work and dedication but SPS has already demonstrated that he has that. SPS had already been vocal and articulate. He has the ability already to change matches and take his teammates with him. Not sure Curnow has these qualities.

Curnow. He's the 5th with 60-odd%? SPS offers more.
Is probably a better footballer already. Certainly will be far better.
Curnow definitely is an advertisement for getting the most out of the gifts you are given with hard work and dedication but SPS has already demonstrated that he has that. SPS had already been vocal and articulate. He has the ability already to change matches and take his teammates with him. Not sure Curnow has these qualities.

I agree with most of that, except that Curnow is definitely more vocal than SPS and is seen as a leader at the club.

I don't think it would be necessarily good for SPS' development in just his 2nd year. Why burden him with a leadership position at such a young age when he is still establishing himself at AFL level? There is no point rushing him into it when we have other senior leaders more than capable of doing it for now.

Let him focus on his footy. He showed some good signs but he missed quite a few games and there were quite a few others he didn't have much impact.

I agree with most of that, except that Curnow is definitely more vocal than SPS and is seen as a leader at the club.

I don't think it would be necessarily good for SPS' development in just his 2nd year. Why burden him with a leadership position at such a young age when he is still establishing himself at AFL level? There is no point rushing him into it when we have other senior leaders more than capable of doing it for now.

Let him focus on his footy. He showed some good signs but he missed quite a few games and there were quite a few others he didn't have much impact.
It may just be that I'm impatient.

I'm not sure I see leadership as a burden.
My 11 year old just got elected school vice- captain. He seems to be taking the added pressure in his stride ;)
It can fast track development and take people's performance to new levels. I'm in the minority (alone) on this I know :)

Ed is a leader. Hard trainer hard worker, exactly what you need in the leadership group. Leaders aren’t the most talented in the squad. One of the best captains ive ever seen was Steve Waugh. Wasn’t close to the most talented in his team.

Wasn't even the most talented in his family!

Yet through sheer grit and determination, he finished so much more accomplished than his brother. AND one of the best ever cricket captains.

My leadership group will undoubtedly be controversial, but here is my reasoning.

My experience tells me that:

1. To build a team for sustained success, you need a culture built around sacrifice, resilience, hard-work and genuine affection / respect for each other.

2. To change a culture you need to invest in youth. (especially while you still have senior experience to guide them)

3. Your leadership team needs to embody the culture you want to create (or sustain).

So here is my choice:

Firstly Murph, Doc and Crippa - no big controversy here.

My fourth selection is Weiters, a young man that embodies discipline, hard work and attention to detail. He'll be in the leadership group eventually, and next year is as good a time to transition as any.

Finally, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who voted for this player, but I went for Jarrod Garlett. I know that he has only been with us for 5 minutes, but he is a young man that exemplifies what it means to sacrifice for what is truly important. He also knows what it feels like, when it seems that your AFL dream is over, and more importantly what it takes to put your head down and work hard to earn another chance.

Given that I also favor playing Jarrod forward, it gives me a member on each line, which I like.

Simmo and Ed will still be leaders of the club, but I believe that the above group makes a strong statement about our values as a team, and that we expect the younger guys to step up and take the lead, sooner rather than later.

Anyway, my two cents.

I went with

Murphy
Docherty
Cripps
Curnow (or Simpson)

then Marchbank. I feel as though it's good to have a younger player as part of group.

Docherty needs to stay in as he is real chance as next Captain and it will benefit him during his rehab.
Cripps is still a young 'un

Back