Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fisher is 100% best 22. We have heaps of young talent but to be honest he excites me to most besides perhaps Charlie . I love the way he plays and think he is suited to fast clean modern footy. There is no use playing him in the 2s. He has the ability and determination and a bright future. Get games into him

Just way too tall for me. Modern game is mobility and ability to lock it inside fwd 50. I really can’t see us going with more than 2 talls at any stage

Just a little concerned for our height all around the ground.
Most peoples back-line would have had 4 players @ 192cm or taller (Jones, Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering)

Having Casboult, McKay, Silvagni and Curnow, all 192cm or taller involved in the forward line, gives us little flexibility, I feel.
Not going to be easy moving the pieces around should plan A come unstuck.

Will be interesting how it all plays out come round 1.

Fisher is 100% best 22. We have heaps of young talent but to be honest he excites me to most besides perhaps Charlie . I love the way he plays and think he is suited to fast clean modern footy. There is no use playing him in the 2s. He has the ability and determination and a bright future. Get games into him

In part I agree and I want him to play but we now have a number of options that are all young. Can’t play them all at once. As I said earlier I just hope they balance it out so names like Fisher Dow OBrien Cuningham Polson etc get around 15 games each which will be great leading into 2019.

At the moment “best 22” really is irrelevant

In part I agree and I want him to play but we now have a number of options that are all young. Can’t play them all at once. As I said earlier I just hope they balance it out so names like Fisher Dow OBrien Cuningham Polson etc get around 15 games each which will be great leading into 2019.

I can see your point I just see Fisher as the type who thrives in the AFL rather than VFL. I'm looking forward to seeing Polson again. Had a solid start to last year but the Kate season injury slowed him down. Good times ahead

I went with:

Jarrod P. Harry Matty W.
Jed Charlie Jack
Harry is really too raw to be selected over Casboult, but he has shown enough and just needs minutes against AFL opponents under his belt.

I would play Cas of the bench rotating with Kruz and Harry with Harry doing something like 10 mins forward and 5 mins ruck per quarter.

Jarrod, Matty, Jed and Jack give a good medium/small options and with those 4 plus Harry and Charlie there's a fair bit of mongrel as well.

I also think that it provides a fair bit of flexibility as well, Jack can play forward or back, Jarrod, Matty and Jed can do midfield minutes, and Harry and Charlie with Kruz and Cas can provide some interesting options.

eg. Cas could take the center bounce then swap with Charlie who could then run the opposition ruck-man ragged.

anyway that's my thoughts on how to change this up and build a line that's flexible and hard to match up on.
Good logic and given Kreuzers previous injury history I can understand the concerns.

I think playing Harry, Cas, and Kreuzer in the same team along with so many other talls may make us a bit too slow/top heavy.

We have 4 talls in most peoples ideal defence, so having 4 tall forwards (including bench) as well is risky unless they can sustain a really high work rate like Cripps and Charlie. Not sure it fits with Boltons running game plan?

Not enough love for Fisher. Poll results will mean for a very tall and immobile front six.

He's seventh in the current poll so there's plenty of love for him. More than I thought there would be actually.

I really like Fish and think he can develop into a good footballer. But I didn't vote for him here because I don't love him as a forward given his relatively low production in year one.

I can see the rationale behind keeping him out of the midfield in his debut season but for mine he's very clearly a midfielder without - at this stage - the body to play significant midfield minutes at AFL level. I am very pleased to see he looks to have bulked up significantly so clearly there's a plan in place there.

If we're talking a half forward flank I personally think there are better options for us in 2018. But we're clearly keen to get as many games into him and other young players as possible so I'm happy to see him on the bench here where he'll hopefully be able to spend a bit more time up the ground.

Just a little concerned for our height all around the ground.
Most peoples back-line would have had 4 players @ 192cm or taller (Jones, Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering)

Having Casboult, McKay, Silvagni and Curnow, all 192cm or taller involved in the forward line, gives us little flexibility, I feel.
Not going to be easy moving the pieces around should plan A come unstuck.

Will be interesting how it all plays out come round 1.
Not as concerned as some about height, it is more about mobility. Not necessarily pace, but mobility as in getting to
contacts and applying defensive pressure. All of the expected tall backs have enough, Charlie, Harry and even Jack
bring plenty of pressure. Cas is going to be the interesting one, on the one hand that mature body at the contest and
ruck chop out, but next to useless at ground level and defensive pressure. Big Kreuze helps the overall balance with
his ground work.

Going to be interesting to see when the changing of the guard occurs.

He is in my side as a midfielder.
With respect bluebrew (and at the risk of sounding self-indulgent), the purpose of voting in this exercise will result in a combined, consensus best 22 - not individual. Love that we're all comparing sides and most will have the same 18 or so players, but not having Curnow in your voting up forward for that reason whereby the midfield is already completed (voting wise) reads like a bit of pointless activism.

Still, this is the prerogative of each individual and the nature of a democratic voting process so every vote is appreciated.

Also, relax everyone - we all love Fish and he's on track to be in the side as the 7th forward picked. Best 22 is looking tall but very talented.

Spot on, now we have a best 32 with good players playing at the Northern Blues every week. They will probably rotate the young players and some of the old players. Depth at last, this is how we will rise up the ladder.

I'm personally running with this so far:

Jones Weiterbot Simpson
Byrne Marchbank Plow
Murphy Crippa Willo
Silvagni Curnow Fisher
Pickett McKay Wright
Kruezer Ed Samo

IC: Kennedy Lang Dow Cuningham

EM: Macreadie Lamb Garlett

Enough cotton wool for BigH*. Time to learn and time to compete. He's not made of glass. It didn't hurt JoeD, D.Moore who relief rucked for patches early on. No need to do anything above compete and learn yet, but it's time.

Matty Wright to keep the young turks biting at his heels out for a bit longer as he adds a wise head to a young forward line.

Silvagni is a definite imo. When drafted, we all thought he would only be debuting about now. Instead he has 30 odd games under his belt, and looking good to my eye. Smart and bust his arse for his mates good.

We'll definately miss Gibbs and Doc in 2018 but we must be patient and get games into young talent.

What is coming is real.

*the asterix for H is provided he has a good preseason and his body is good. If not and we have to wait a month or 2 then sobeit and use one of the placeholders for a bit.
Agree with assesment of Harry, time for him to be playing every week if fit. We saw in just a couple of games last year alot to excite, he just needs the experience and he'll only get that through gametime. Like SPS and others there's no better place for him to learn than on the mainstage.
I just wondered why he had to wait till so late even last year (on that note anyone know how many games he played in the VFL last yr?) but thats all the past now...
Excited about the future

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/f03faad7428acadaae58ef41a4534280

Funny that according to.this article the reason Lang left Geelong is because he was played as a half forward and he wanted to get more midfield time and yet acc. to most of us here he wouldnt be in our best best 22 midfield either and by the looks of it cant even crack the forward line....

Forget most of us. None of us have a say on the line-up. Still does not stop everyone having an opinion of best team line-up. Not read the article but SOS said in video things about Lang as a midfielder so he will spend time there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like it will be between Garlett and Fisher for a spot on the bench

Surprised with the lack of support for Lang, think he is best 22

I can't see the Club bringing Lang in to play VFL - he will be starting in round 1. Same for Garlett - who I reckon will be the best of this years drafts in 2018.Carlton has needed leg speed for a few years now... Cripps/Kennedy/Ed/Kreuzer will handle any of the bigger bodied opposition mids. I can see Garlett running off HBF, SPS on a wing and Pickett in forwards- but they will all play as will Lang. Murph will get a new lease of life playing on a wing /HFF with occasional appearances in center bounces.

Big dilemma here for me. For the sake of balance and flexibility I went three tall (Cas, Charlie, Jack) and three medium-small forwards (Wright, Pickett, Fisher). Further to team balance, I felt it was important to include Cas and Wright as the experienced heads in the forward lineup.
But that meant not selecting Harry, for which I felt quite conflicted. While I am of the belief that he is a future key forward for us and as such would benefit from playing seniors, I feel for round 1 we want the best, most balanced side we can field. Harry's time will come, in the meantime we need Levi in the team, with Charlie and Jack being non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned.

Pickett is still a largely unknown quantity, but from what we see, he has been putting in a massive pre-season and so I reckon he needs to be rewarded. I'd love to see him explode and emerge as an early season surprise packet in our team.

That may well be the case but once you start stacking on the recruits being Lang, Kennedy and effectively Garlett, along with a good chance of Dow being given early action, some heads will have to come out. Who are they going to be?

Good dilemma to have...but.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/f03faad7428acadaae58ef41a4534280

Funny that according to.this article the reason Lang left Geelong is because he was played as a half forward and he wanted to get more midfield time and yet acc. to most of us here he wouldnt be in our best best 22 midfield either and by the looks of it cant even crack the forward line....

Confident that both Lang and Fisher will be in the team. Both get a bench spot for this voting team. As will Dow.

Hate the idea of casboult, McKay, Charlie and Sosos in one team...especially since we also have 4 tall defenders.

Confident that both Lang and Fisher will be in the team. Both get a bench spot for this voting team. As will Dow.

Hate the idea of casboult, McKay, Charlie and Sosos in one team...especially since we also have 4 tall defenders.

I must admit, I didn't select Lang, mainly because I just don't know enough about him. Not a player I've paid much attention to. I look forward to being pleasantly surprised! :)

With respect bluebrew (and at the risk of sounding self-indulgent), the purpose of voting in this exercise will result in a combined, consensus best 22 - not individual. Love that we're all comparing sides and most will have the same 18 or so players, but not having Curnow in your voting up forward for that reason whereby the midfield is already completed (voting wise) reads like a bit of pointless activism.

Still, this is the prerogative of each individual and the nature of a democratic voting process so every vote is appreciated.

Also, relax everyone - we all love Fish and he's on track to be in the side as the 7th forward picked. Best 22 is looking tall but very talented.
Your entitled to that, Group think isn't my thing.

I get picking Harry and I get picking Casboult.

But some of you have picked both. Madness!

Why can't both play?

Casboult at CHF leading up as a marking target out of the backline, away from goal so most don't lose their minds when he is having a shot on goal

Then Harry being our option inside 50

Please dont say that makes for a slow forwardline when you add Garlett, Pickett and say Fisher

Why can't both play?

Casboult at CHF leading up as a marking target out of the backline, away from goal so most don't lose their minds when he is having a shot on goal

Then Harry being our option inside 50

Please dont say that makes for a slow forwardline when you add Garlett, Pickett and say Fisher
Exactly and with all big Levi's faults he still is the best contested mark in the comp

Back