2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

2,427 on the Lions website, might finally be the year the giants overtake us
9.5k for us as of today.
Geez, if the Giants are already 7k ahead of the Lions, and the Lions only have 2427, that can't be right? That is absolutely pisspoor from the Lions and their "supporters". Either the club isn't doing enough in it's membership value, or the supporters are a bunch of disloyal bandwagoners. This is a side that had a 3-peat just over a decade ago.

Geez, if the Giants are already 7k ahead of the Lions, and the Lions only have 2427, that can't be right? That is absolutely pisspoor from the Lions and their "supporters". Either the club isn't doing enough in it's membership value, or the supporters are a bunch of disloyal bandwagoners. This is a side that had a 3-peat just over a decade ago.

I strongly suspect it's to do with the GWS figure including its automatic rollovers and the Lions' figure does not.

Last edited:

Why would they not add them if they weren't? lol

Because paid isnt the only criteria, there was also an access requirement

This is why our lil tackers used to not be counted, as we didnt sell access to them (as they got in for free)

Some clubs have digital paid memberships, some paid waitlists (ie wce in the wings).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably pissed off supporters!

To be fair Brisbane is a bandwagon city. The town do get behind teams that are on a winning streak, we have seen this with reds, roar, broncos and lions.

Probably pissed off supporters!

To be fair Brisbane is a bandwagon city. The town do get behind teams that are on a winning streak, we have seen this with reds, roar, broncos and lions.
The 3-peat should have ingrained that team to a lot of kids/teens who would now be adults, these guys should be their core membership group.

Just not sure whether the club or the fans are at fault here.
I think both are disappointing.

The 3-peat should have ingrained that team to a lot of kids/teens who would now be adults, these guys should be their core membership group.

Kids who watched the Lions win flags were also watching Broncos win flags and have made finals and grand finals plenty of times post 2004. That's the difference. The kids going to watch them play 2001-04 period aren't rusted on types going to the footy with grand parents and parents telling them all about when they went and watched Brisbane as a kid. They had plenty of alternatives. Some of those kids would have become rusted on but you are talking the overwhelming majority didn't.

Nothing disappointing about it, just basic reality when you have plenty of alternatives to occupy your time and money and footy isn't a crazy irrational passion to supersede other stuff.

The op is bang on, brisbane is the bandwagon town in the country

They jump on when youre winning, but they ditch you just as fast when not.

Its just how they roll

Kids who watched the Lions win flags were also watching Broncos win flags and have made finals and grand finals plenty of times post 2004. That's the difference. The kids going to watch them play 2001-04 period aren't rusted on types going to the footy with grand parents and parents telling them all about when they went and watched Brisbane as a kid. They had plenty of alternatives. Some of those kids would have become rusted on but you are talking the overwhelming majority didn't.

Nothing disappointing about it, just basic reality when you have plenty of alternatives to occupy your time and money and footy isn't a crazy irrational passion to supersede other stuff.
They have more than their share of young talent and a bit to get excited about. To me That's the best time to get on board if you must bandwagon.
They will have more members than us,our rollovers were early.
The challenge is to get the Lions at the forefront of people's thinking I guess.

2018members.jpg

If this is organic growth from people investing in the club long term then I think we're tracking very well.
If it's bandwaggoners not so much. I suspect the former as we didn't improve last year and achieved 25% last year. You'd expect some of that to be bandwaggoners.
What we need are members who'll stick around when the window closes, and slow steady growth from the clubs targeting of juniors and their families is definitely best for us.

If this is organic growth from people investing in the club long term then I think we're tracking very well.
If it's bandwaggoners not so much. I suspect the former as we didn't improve last year and achieved 25% last year. You'd expect some of that to be bandwaggoners.
What we need are members who'll stick around when the window closes, and slow steady growth from the clubs targeting of juniors and their families is definitely best for us.
The cynic in me says a few people take up a membership in the hope of a guaranteed grand final ticket, but you'd expect some growth as people get more interested

The cynic in me says a few people take up a membership in the hope of a guaranteed grand final ticket, but you'd expect some growth as people get more interested
Can only go on personal experiences but I have 2 memberships with them for that reason and know of another 8 in my area that do likewise. Works out ok for me because my parents live near Gundagai so they use my tickets to go to the Canberra games and sometimes to Melbourne and Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back