dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
OneM1llionClubInfographicv2web.jpg

Wookie, handle this as you see fit.

Early days but a few clubs are off and running for 2018.

St Kilda 20,000
Melbourne 17,000
Essendon 33,400

Most clubs are yet to rollover their renewals so we expect clubs to begin reporting their tallies shortly.

Richmond clearly with a premiership would be expected to hit close to 90,000.

Then the race for next in line will be close between Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast. Expecting these clubs to achieve between 73-76,000 each.

I also expect good growth from Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong.

Roos and Dogs may find growth challenging. Dockers (stadium) and the Blues should grow somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adelaide had 80,000 this year, expect similar next season.

Wookie, handle this as you see fit.

Early days but a few clubs are off and running for 2018.

St Kilda 20,000
Melbourne 17,000
Essendon 33,400

Most clubs are yet to rollover their renewals so we expect clubs to begin reporting their tallies shortly.

Richmond clearly with a premiership would be expected to hit close to 90,000.

Then the race for next in line will be close between Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast. Expecting these clubs to achieve between 73-76,000 each.
I also expect good growth from Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong.

Roos and Dogs may find growth challenging. Dockers (stadium) and the Blues should grow somewhat.

Could we hit the magic million mark in 2018?

I guess all the Richmond supporters who dogmatically said they'd clear 100k if they won a premiership will be able to test their assumptions...
To be fair though, Richmond should grow around 10,000 this year. I think that's what a flag is worth as the bandwagon impact results. The Dogs grew +15% so that would be 12-13K to the Tigers, taking them to the high 80's.

West Coast due to it's larger stadium and limited seats should grow considerably. I don't know what the expectations are but you'd have to say they'll push 80,000?

Collingwood and Hawthorn will be interesting. I feel like they will probably be around the 75,000 again.

Essendon should grow. Despite Ethihad impacting membership to some degree, I suspect it will pass 70,000 in 2018. It has an aspiration of 100,000 within 3 years but I think it would take a premiership to achieve that. Richmond on the back of a premiership has a golden opportunity to be the first club to 100,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the end of Port's first season at Adelaide Oval, Port has gone to the Christmas break with 45.1k December 2014, then 50.04k in 2015 and 50.02k in 2016. With the auto renewals starting a month earlier, and therefore more time for the member change seat process, 2,000 seats being shifted from GA memberships to reserved seat memberships, it will be interesting to see what the Christmas break figure will be. Probably will be 53k.

434744_1b52202cf5b2185f7cc613e182245d2c.png

Eagles have introduced a 3 & 5 game membership for the first time, 10,000 extra seats, expect 20k + members, highest revenue ($) though most Vics dont seem to care about the money.
Money is the only thing that matters.
Would much rather more full memberships than these cheapskate 3 game memberships or the like

Since the end of Port's first season at Adelaide Oval, Port has gone to the Christmas break with 45.1k December 2014, then 50.04k in 2015 and 50.02k in 2016. With the auto renewals starting a month earlier, and therefore more time for the member change seat process, 2,000 seats being shifted from GA memberships to reserved seat memberships, it will be interesting to see what the Christmas break figure will be. Probably will be 53k.

434744_1b52202cf5b2185f7cc613e182245d2c.png
Look line Port are growing to grow membership in 2018. Good result to date.

Would much rather more full memberships than these cheapskate 3 game memberships or the like
Agree. We will see shortly that some clubs sell higher value memberships per capita. The WA /SA clubs and Essendon amongst the Vic clubs.

Essendon's recent membership survey found record membership satisfaction results. Similar to the focus on service as Richmobd employed, this should lead to membership growth in 2018 for the Bombers and any other club focussing on service delivery, much maligned across the league in the past.

56,865 officially so why the discrepancy?
Is it due to AO members not being counted or free memberships/non match entry memberships?

The 8,000 AO members are split between the 2 clubs for AFL audited figures purposes but both clubs count them in their totals as that's what happened at Footy Park and if you bought a SANFL membership with access to all 22 games, the SANFL paid each club the same amount as the AFL paid to the clubs under the AFL Members Club Support at the MCG. In 2013, the last year at Footy Park that was $138 for an adult membership ( and less for concession and juniors) so that double counting goes back to 1997. If you bought a SANFL membership at Footy for just one club's 11 home games the SANFL paid the $138 to that club and that member was only counted once.

In 2014 the 8,206 AO Football membership fees, $NIL went to the 2 clubs. Since 2015 after the stadium deal review, both clubs get $50 of the adult fee as they increased the adult membership fee by $100 and the clubs split that increase. Similar but less increases occurred for concessions and junior memberships and the clubs split the increased fee amount.

In 2014 the split was confirmed in an article on Port's website. There were 8,206 and the allocation was 2,928 Port (35.6%) and 5,278 Adelaide so both club totals were over counted by the amount the AFL regonised in the audit figure of the other SA club. In 2015 there were 8,009 AO Football membership and the split was 2,883 (36%) vs 5,126 as per an article on Port's website.

Since 2016 Port haven't given figures in their annual article in August about membership figures but they have talked about the percentage split and those percentages for Port have been 33% in 2016 and 28% in 2017. I have assumed the total membership has been 8,000 exactly as that was the figure announced would be sold in 2014 so based on that the split I have used is 2,640 v 5,360 in 2016 and 2,240 v 5,760 in 2017. If you renew on line you can indicate which club you support according to a poster on the Port board but that didn't happen for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

The rest are about 95%+ their free e-memberships, and a some memberships the AFL don't count eg Baby memberships which are less than $50 etc. Most Non Access memberships the AFL has counted in all club totals since 2011, but any under $50 are ignored.

Vic clubs have issues with government restrictions on prices, competition from the AFL (and to a lesser degree, MCC/Medalion club) and limits on how many reserved seats they can sell.

In a practical sense, they can't get a hell of a lot more $ per member, so in order to make more money they just need to sell more memberships.

2,427 on the Lions website, might finally be the year the giants overtake us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back