2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Wish I could. I've seen figures between 30 and 40k before - but not sure how accurate.

I would love to see the 11 game equivalent membership tallies published.

Just to clarify, when you say unseated do you mean without a reserved seat or non access?

RFC had a s**t load of three gamers, but like the majority of our h11 memberships, they are Ga only - not reserved seating.

In Vic most h11 memberships are not tied to a reserved seat

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Just to clarify, when you say unseated do you mean without a reserved seat or non access?

RFC had a s**t load of three gamers, but like the majority of our h11 memberships, they are Ga only - not reserved seating.

About the only club that would, would be Geelong I'd think

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls

How many 11 game equivalents memberships are clubs selling? (ie 1x5 game memberships + 2x3 game = 1 11h game membership)
Doesnt really matter what seat they sit in (allocated or GA).

How many 11 game equivalents memberships are clubs selling? (ie 1x5 game memberships + 2x3 game = 1 11h game membership)
Doesnt really matter what seat they sit in (allocated or GA).

A seated membership implies it has a specific seat - which eliminates the h11 or h3 memberships as most are GA. Fwiw there is still a hardcore out there who worship standing room too :p

There is no metric available on h11 equivalent, and I'd guess both the AFL and the clubs would have zero interest in publishing it

From a personal level, I think the competition here is a distraction, as each club as differing goals

As an example Richmond needed to turn a historically GA walk up supporter base into members, and three gamers did this very well. We would have much less data on our supportersor those three gamers were still.cash attendees

Now we have the task of converting them into premium packages, which poses it's it' challenges given price rise resistance and limited access to allotments from stadium management. Then there is the cultural stigma of the working class club reserving gf attendance to the toffs

Not saying woe is us, all clubs have unique challenges. Melbourne directly engaging it's MCC support. Gws engaging with a new support base with no history. Port converting kids from non magpies families

Personally, I worry less about the membership ladder, and more how we are tracking against ourselves YTD and how our premium packages are selling

The former is just a flog fest, the ladder is the financial future of my club

A seated membership implies it has a specific seat - which eliminates the h11 or h3 memberships as most are GA. Fwiw there is still a hardcore out there who worship standing room too :p

There is no metric available on h11 equivalent, and I'd guess both the AFL and the clubs would have zero interest in publishing it

From a personal level, I think the competition here is a distraction, as each club as differing goals

As an example Richmond needed to turn a historically GA walk up supporter base into members, and three gamers did this very well. We would have much less data on our supportersor those three gamers were still.cash attendees

Now we have the task of converting them into premium packages, which poses it's it' challenges given price rise resistance and limited access to allotments from stadium management. Then there is the cultural stigma of the working class club reserving gf attendance to the toffs

Not saying woe is us, all clubs have unique challenges. Melbourne directly engaging it's MCC support. Gws engaging with a new support base with no history. Port converting kids from non magpies families

Personally, I worry less about the membership ladder, and more how we are tracking against ourselves YTD and how our premium packages are selling

The former is just a flog fest, the ladder is the financial future of my club
big numbers give supporters comfort that they are part of a successful club and can be used for marketing and other revenue streams, ie our club database has 80,000 current members we can market to if you become a sponsor but yeah as long as the club is hitting it's internal revenue targets from the members I'm happy

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
big numbers give supporters comfort that they are part of a successful club and can be used for marketing and other revenue streams, ie our club database has 80,000 current members we can market to if you become a sponsor but yeah as long as the club is hitting it's internal revenue targets from the members I'm happy
Yeh I'm not interested in the big membership Tallys. Not too fussed about the people paying for a lanyard and a sticker but don't go the games as members. That's just bonus money for the clubs, and bragging rights.

What matters is how many people are paying a membership that gets them into the ground (ie 11 homes games a year).

Yeh I'm not interested in the big membership Tallys. Not too fussed about the people paying for a lanyard and a sticker but don't go the games as members. That's just bonus money for the clubs, and bragging rights.

What matters is how many people are paying a membership that gets them into the ground (ie 11 homes games a year).

this gets me to an old argument of mine, why is a member who attends a game so much more awesome than one who watches every game live at 4am on the other side of the planet?

for some people, a $3k membership is a drop in the ocean. for a kid working part time, a three gamer bought with their own coin from their first job is friggin magic. I dont want to tell the kid he is a lesser supporter of our club than the rich bloke

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

1tdPO3X.jpg

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Disappointing for the Giants that memberships have increased a lot this year again but crowds are down.
Mmmm
Our member numbers are weaker than they appear. Basically Sydney memberships are 8 games and Canberra 3. You can buy 11 game memberships if you're ok with travelling.
Our situation is unique because the Melbourne clubs that play home games in Tassie get replacement games and we dont.
Bottom line is it depends if the extra memberships sold have game access at Spotless.

The two early games in Canberra were down at around 10k when the club would have hoped for sellouts. Manuka is 75% uncovered and my seat, covered in theory gets very wet when it rains, so it could be more. Lousy weather for both games would have had a significant impact. Basically bad luck I think.

The Spotless crowds are ok except a really disappointing turnout for the Saturday night games against the Bombers and the Hawks. Last year Saturday night games turned in excess of 15k and I'm sure that's why we have three from eight in that timeslot this year. Poor form is a factor I'm sure but it would troubling the club I'd imagine.

Back