Carlton 55,629
Melbourne 44,180
St Kilda 43,302
Footscray 43,300
North 40,875
GWS 25,013
Brisbane 24,730
Gold Coast 11,841

649,232. WA clubs, Hawthorn, Adelaide and Collingwood remain a mystery as to what specific numbers they have.

Close to 80K sitting 10th without a finals win in almost a decade and a half.
Apart from the Tigers monumental achievement which is certainly the most celebrated milestone for 2018 and deservedly so, I think the Essendon achievement is probably the most impressive membership result this year.

West Coast has passed 80,000 which would be up there however assisted by a larger venue. Still over 80,000 is a fantastic result.

Hawthorn go past 80,000 which is also meritorious in that they grew from around. 75,600 last year.

The Essendon story continues to unfold. On the verge of 80,000 without material success and hitting the lowest of lows in 2016. For context, Richmond officially at July 31st last year had 72,600. This has Essendon over +7,000 more members than the Tiger figure pre premiership. I think without the assistance of a premiership, the Essendon membership figure is testament to the enormity of its National following which is being engaged and is awakening for the first time in nearly 20 years. The clubs fan engagement has been excellent and led by an impressive executive led by Xavier Campbell and Justin Rodski.

Essendon is now staring down the league leaders in membership, I believe passing Collingwood this year (?) with Hawthorn (and Collingwood again) in their sights next year before chasing down 100,000 in its 150th year in a couple of years time. It’s taken close to 15 years however the malaise appears to be coming to an end out Essendon way,

Special mentions to Geelong (60,000), Carlton (+10% in the duldrems) as other brilliant results to date. GWS also a fantastic effort.

But for me it Richmond > Essendon > West Coast in that order for impressive YOY results combining the growth and other factors taken into account.

This post hasn't aged well.
I was wrong. But I’d still make the same prediction again. It was an unprecedented increase and an unbelievable achievement. If Essendon won the flag this year and you told me they would would see a similar 28k increase to 108k next year I would also think that was laughable. But Richmond were able to achieve this.

I was wrong. But I’d still make the same prediction again. It was an unprecedented increase and an unbelievable achievement. If Essendon won the flag this year and you told me they would would see a similar 28k increase to 108k next year I would also think that was laughable. But Richmond were able to achieve this.

Not really laughable, as The_Wookie post above indicated:

Richmonds membership increase of 38.5% the year after winning a flag is the third best behind Collingwood in 2011 (48.4%) and Essendon in 1994 (70.8%). Its raw increase of 27,933 however, beats the Pies 2011 increase of 23,388,

Not really laughable, as The_Wookie post above indicated:

Richmonds membership increase of 38.5% the year after winning a flag is the third best behind Collingwood in 2011 (48.4%) and Essendon in 1994 (70.8%). Its raw increase of 27,933 however, beats the Pies 2011 increase of 23,388,
The difference between the Collingwood example is that Richmond had already had a very significant increase of 43k in the previous decade. Collingwood's membership had been all over the shop, but the did have 32k in 1999 meaning their preceding rise was not as sharp.

Wookie i know you got your figures from Footy Industry but Collingwood's % increase and overall raw increase are both incorrect their 2010 membership tally was 57,408 and in 2011 it went up to 71,271 (an increase of 24.15% and raw increase by 13,863).
Footy industry has the same figure for 2010 but for 2011 they added the non access amount of 525 which wasn't included on the AFL site.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...3b7d37cc5?sv=9c06c1a1b3e24b84d5977a1bfc72be32

This link is AFLQ but it has the same tally's for both years, http://www.aflq.com.au/record-afl-membership-in-2011/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wookie i know you got your figures from Footy Industry

I AM Footy Industry.

but Collingwood's % increase and overall raw increase are both incorrect their 2010 membership tally was 57,408 and in 2011 it went up to 71,271 (an increase of 24.15% and raw increase by 13,863).

Footy industry has the same figure for 2010 but for 2011 they added the non access amount of 525 which wasn't included on the AFL site.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...3b7d37cc5?sv=9c06c1a1b3e24b84d5977a1bfc72be32

This link is AFLQ but it has the same tally's for both years, http://www.aflq.com.au/record-afl-membership-in-2011/

Ive somehow mixed Carlton and Collingwoods numbers when doing this. Sigh.
premiershipmembershipincreases.png

A few questions we have had on memberships over the season answered below:

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/thanks-a-million-new-membership-benchmark

AFL CLUB membership has cracked one million for the first time, with 13 teams breaking their all-time records this season.

The final tally for 2018 stood at 1,008,494 members by the July 31 deadline.

It was an 11 per cent increase on last season and the 18th consecutive year of growth.

Reigning premier Richmond led the way after becoming the first club to sign up 100,000 members – an increase of nearly 39 per cent following last year's drought-breaking flag.

Hawthorn and high-flying West Coast rounded out the top three, with both clubs exceeding 80,000 members for the first time.

Only Collingwood (-372) and the Western Bulldogs (-4407) failed to grow their membership bases.

"One in every 24 Australians is now a member of an AFL club, a sign that the national reach of Australian football has never been greater," League CEO Gillon McLachlan said.

"Whether you have been a member for decades or just signed up this year, on behalf of the AFL I want to thank every single one of you.

"The commitment members make to their clubs is the key reason why our game continues to prosper.

"Our clubs give us a connection. Our games fill us with hope, despair and joy, and today it makes us proud."

AFLW memberships also climbed in the competition's second season, up more than 30 per cent to 9,406.

OneM1llionClubInfographicv2web.jpg

Some massive efforts in boosting membership numbers this year, esp imo Essendon, Geelong, Brisbane and GWS

Dons and cats did well given they are fighting a access cap perception (given seat availability in Etihad and Kat park for their games). Gws I thought would plateau after last year.

Brisbane though is huge in a year that was always going to be a tough one for fans

What do they mean by Non access? I thought the post audit figures had to be Access members?

1) $50 minimum cost
2) contact details of the punter provided
3) membership pack sent to punter

"Audited" figures.....it took them literally a day to "audit" every club.
I believe all clubs are required to record their numbers through the AFL's own membership software throughout the year so they're being audited on an ongoing basis, not just at close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back