2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

I put some stuff on the Port board in a couple of posts but will put it in here as one. Apologies if it doesn't flow.

AFL introduced non access members in their 2011 count because when they released their 2012-16 Club equalisation funding document on 26 September 2011 - showing how they will spend TV dollars and other income for 2012-16 TV deal period, they set the aim of 1,000,000 members by 2016.

They have got there 2 years late, but have become more flexible about what's counted in their official totals compared to prior to 2011.

I'm surprised the crows have 64k. That means they are now selling more general admin and 3 game passess than the previous 4 seasons at AO. I've seen them pushing 3 gamers and bronze memberships.

Looks like WCE are still selling their in the Wings membership as they still have 20,000 more members than seats available at the new Perth Stadium just like at Subi. But maybe they have got a bit stricter because if you became an in the Wings member whilst they played Subi it allowed you to buy up to 4 memberships. Maybe now its only up to 1.

Essendon I believe have also widen the packages they are offering compared to the past membership categories.

Haha 84,385 Auskickers being counted is a new one. The AFL didnt put up a pie chart graphic for 2017 but did for 2016 but you can see the new categories between the 2 years clearly. I have put the numbers in a small spreadsheet. 2016 and 2018 categories for reduced access and country v reduced access and 3 game are like for like as totals but slightly different as categories so thats why I have put them in gray shading.

You can see the effect of the Auskickers has reduced the full Adult paying total from 70% in 2016 to 64.6% in 2018.

upload_2018-8-2_12-31-5.png

2016 Total was 875,197

535930_12efadc2261888fa9ef8183fece17935.png

535932_e60d66987dbdcb23dcbed202e1e26d2b.png

Last edited:
"Audited" figures.....it took them literally a day to "audit" every club.

They only took three days to audit clubs for peds ;)

Jokes aside, this is all in databases now, so it's a tick n flick job

I put some stuff on the Port board in a couple of posts but will put it in here as one. Apologies if it doesn't flow.

AFL introduced non access members in their 2011 count because when they released their 2012-16 Club equalisation funding document on 26 September 2011 - showing how they will spend TV dollars and other income for 2012-16 TV deal period, they set the aim of 1,000,000 members by 2016.

They have got there 2 years late, but have become more flexible about what's counted in their official totals compared to prior to 2011.

I'm surprised the crows have 64k. That means they are now selling more general admin and 3 game passess than the previous 4 seasons at AO. I've seen them pushing 3 gamers and bronze memberships.

Looks like WCE are still selling their in the Wings membership as they still have 20,000 more members than seats available at the new Perth Stadium just like at Subi. But maybe they have got a bit stricter because if you became an in the Wings member whilst they played Subi it allowed you to buy up to 4 memberships. Maybe now its only up to 1.

Essendon I believe have also widen the packages they are offering compared to the past membership categories.

Haha 84,385 Auskickers being counted is a new one. The AFL didnt put up a pie chart graphic for 2017 but did for 2016 but you can see the new categories between the 2 years clearly. I have put the numbers in a small spreadsheet. 2016 and 2018 categories for reduced access and country v reduced access and 3 game are like for like as totals but slightly different as categories so thats why I have put them in gray shading.

You can see the effect of the Auskickers has reduced the full Adult paying total from 70% in 2016 to 64.6% in 2018.

535943_cdbd5a64c645e220e6a43900e024ea86.png

2016 Total was 875,197

Good info. Questions you may or may not be able to clarify for me:

What exactly is an Auskick Junior Membership? Does it cost anything? What does it give the Auskicker?

Is "reduced access" simply memberships between the home 11 game and the 3-game? i.e. the 5 game memberships some clubs have?

I'm Not surprised that reduced access and non-access has fallen and 3 gamers gained massively.

As an interstate supporter the 3 game membership is a no brainer vs the previous no-game or 5 game country memberships options that were available.

It would be nice to get a by State breakdown for each team.

Good info. Questions you may or may not be able to clarify for me:

What exactly is an Auskick Junior Membership? Does it cost anything? What does it give the Auskicker?

Is "reduced access" simply memberships between the home 11 game and the 3-game? i.e. the 5 game memberships some clubs have?

I'm Not surprised that reduced access and non-access has fallen and 3 gamers gained massively.

As an interstate supporter the 3 game membership is a no brainer vs the previous no-game or 5 game country memberships options that were available.

It would be nice to get a by State breakdown for each team.
I have asked an Auskick question on the port board but no response back yet. My gut feel is that if last year a 6 week Auskick program cost $150, this year it might have gone up to say $160 to cover inflation and there are memberships attached to it when clubs do the Auskick program/clinics or the local Auckick program hooks up with the club. Remember you have to pay $50 to be counted as a member either access or non access so they aren't going to lift the fees by $50. BT brought this up on Talking Footy a month ago and said is their some fudging going on and a couple on the panel laughed.

Reduced access is less than 11 games. You now have so many split stadiums access memberships ie 7 games at Docklands or all 11 at Docklands and MCG types. 4 games in Launceston or 7 at the MCG for the Hawks etc.

You cant say Reduced access has definitely fallen as
in 2016 Reduced access included 1 gamers to less than 11 games and Country membership had its own category

In 2018 Reduced games categories can be 1 or 2 games or 4 or more games and would include the 5 game country members. In 2018 the AFL specified how many 3 game passes it sould.

Interstate memberships - issued by all clubs ( ie not just clubs outside Victoria as the media phrase used for interstate clubs) are sold with access to your team which plays in the state you live in, so that could only be 1 game, or if you are lucky you get 2 games your team plays in that city and that is included in reduced membership. And usually you get general admin access to 1 or 2 home games with this interstate membership.

The only thing you can compare between 2016 and 2018 is that memberships that give you access to 1 to 10 of your teams home games have gone up by 38,366. That's it.

Auskick membership is a freebie 3 game membership given to all Auskickers who nominated a team.

This replaced the free game tickets previously handed out.

I bought my kids proper memberships before the start of the season so was annoyed when I got another free one two months later.

The tigers are a clear beneficiary of bandwagon primary school kids.

Always knew Adelaide's membership number was really around 60-65k. Stadium certainly constricting our growth.

Auskick membership is a freebie 3 game membership given to all Auskickers who nominated a team.

This replaced the free game tickets previously handed out.

I bought my kids proper memberships before the start of the season so was annoyed when I got another free one two months later.

The tigers are a clear beneficiary of bandwagon primary school kids.
Someone on the Port board replied to my Auskick question with - I only paid $25 bucks there's some government sports grant that pays the other $50.

He also said, .... you don't have a choice you are signed up automatically, it asks you who your kid barracks for as you sign up, then a few weeks later a full membership comes out which I found odd as he already has a membership so the database just doubles him up I guess? I only hope it doesn't screw the renewal process next year for me although he'll score yet another child membership when he does auskick again.

Someone on the Port board replied to my Auskick question with - I only paid $25 bucks there's some government sports grant that pays the other $50.

He also said, .... you don't have a choice you are signed up automatically, it asks you who your kid barracks for as you sign up, then a few weeks later a full membership comes out which I found odd as he already has a membership so the database just doubles him up I guess? I only hope it doesn't screw the renewal process next year for me although he'll score yet another child membership when he does auskick again.
I paid about 80 with no grant in VIctoria. Automatically gives a 4 game membership with no other benefits like caps, stickers, scarves etc.

I paid about 80 with no grant in VIctoria. Automatically gives a 4 game membership with no other benefits like caps, stickers, scarves etc.

So that I get this straight, you bought the kids a full junior membership. Then a couple of months later signed them up for Auskick program and paid $80 per kid for that program (or was it $80 for all your kids)? The kids then get a simple 3 game pass/membership you said in your first post or is it a 4 pass/membership as per your second one? Its just a pass, no benefit eg stickers caps etcs. You used to get free tickets in previous years - I assume 3 or 4 different games per kid. Is that right or less than that?

That $50 paid by the government to the Port supporter in Adelaide, must be a state government thing because if it came from the feds, everyone all aroond Oz would get it.

Ok yes this $50 is a state government thing. O.R.S is Office for Recreation, Sport and Racing. Strapping Tape the Port supporter posted this on the Port board

This is when u go to register:
Cost: Metro: $75 Auskick Registration fee. Use of your childs O.R.S voucher, accessed through your Medicare number, will see the program discounted to just $25! For more information on the O.R.S Voucher program, please visit www.sportsvouchers.sa.gov.au

I've never heard of this O.R.S vouche
r

Bit more breakdown of the 2 SA club numbers

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/37076bbd6bea66c22196de20c5e3aae0
The SA market is further complicated with - for the fifth year - the 8000 stadium members at Adelaide Oval being allocated on a 72-28 split favouring the Crows.

Adelaide is listed with 64,739 members - up on last year’s figure of 56,865 that was a record with a different counting system. The Crows’ figure this season includes 6500 registered Auskickers - and 72 per cent of the Adelaide Oval stadium membership pool (5748).
Port Adelaide is listed with 54,386 members - also up on last year when the Power audit figure was 52,129. It also is a record, surpassing the 54,057 in 2015. The Power’s count this season includes 2500 Auskickers - and 28 per cent of the Oval membership base (2252).

Port Adelaide general manager Matthew Richardson told The Advertiser the Power figures include a 93 per cent retention of 11-game members - second only to Richmond. “We put enormous value on membership of our club - and know our members are loyal and committed,’ he said.

Removing Auskickers and the Oval memberships, the Crows have 52,491 members; Port Adelaide has 49,634.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/37076bbd6bea66c22196de20c5e3aae0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that I get this straight, you bought the kids a full junior membership. Then a couple of months later signed them up for Auskick program and paid $80 per kid for that program (or was it $80 for all your kids)? The kids then get a simple 3 game pass/membership you said in your first post or is it a 4 pass/membership as per your second one? Its just a pass, no benefit eg stickers caps etcs. You used to get free tickets in previous years - I assume 3 or 4 different games per kid. Is that right or less than that?

That $50 paid by the government to the Port supporter in Adelaide, must be a state government thing because if it came from the feds, everyone all aroond Oz would get it.

Correct. All auskickers get a 4 game membership. First post saying 3 was incorrect. It is purely an incentive for parents to fork our to take kids to games and to boost membership figures. I paid nothing for the Auskick membership nor does any money go to the club from it. See the photo below for the difference between the two.

Attachments

• 7E306F5E-34B2-4D85-9791-C98ADED73057.jpeg
    7E306F5E-34B2-4D85-9791-C98ADED73057.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 196
Let's be honest this whole thing is so stupid.

AFL sets their own target and then fudges the numbers to try and reach the target for....what reasons? So they can release a press release and look good?

If you actually look at the average of people who have access to at least all their sides home matches (i.e. season tickets which is what memberships were generally understood to mean historically), you only get 28k per club which certainly doesn't sound as impressive as what the AFL is reporting.

Non-access memberships are the biggest joke ever. Can't believe these clubs have gotten so good at fleecing people out of their money for nothing.

Let's be honest this whole thing is so stupid.

AFL sets their own target and then fudges the numbers to try and reach the target for....what reasons? So they can release a press release and look good?

If you actually look at the average of people who have access to at least all their sides home matches (i.e. season tickets which is what memberships were generally understood to mean historically), you only get 28k per club which certainly doesn't sound as impressive as what the AFL is reporting.

Non-access memberships are the biggest joke ever. Can't believe these clubs have gotten so good at fleecing people out of their money for nothing.

You can't remove reduced access tickets, as you give clubs like gws a zero.

Not quite, we sell 11 game access to those willing to travel to Canberra, but close.

Btw I'm not ragging on gws . More the notion that the only "real" members are 11 gamers. It's stupid to begin with, but logistically not viable with some clubs

You cant say Reduced access has definitely fallen as
in 2016 Reduced access included 1 gamers to less than 11 games and Country membership had its own category

In 2018 Reduced games categories can be 1 or 2 games or 4 or more games and would include the 5 game country members. In 2018 the AFL specified how many 3 game passes it sould.

Late to the table REH, but can you steer me to this data, wobbly numbers are not a good look .... better numbers by changing definitions ahead of the KPI's when bonuses are tied ?? Not that we ever likely to know.

Late to the table REH, but can you steer me to this data, wobbly numbers are not a good look .... better numbers by changing definitions ahead of the KPI's when bonuses are tied ?? Not that we ever likely to know.
The table in post #902 was made from the info in the 2 AFL membership graphics I cut and posted under the table in post #902. They come from the AFL website when the membership data was released in August of both 2016 and 2018, and whilst original grpahics were posted in the middle of the 2016 and 2018 club membership threads on this board, they have been put into the opening post of each thread by The Wookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back