2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the point of the 'dig'. Thought it'd have been self-evident?
Not to people in the media. People like BT going wow wee you have 85,000 members when interviewing crows CEO post game.

Great effort by the Tiger members but I dont see the total getting to the magic 100,000 this year
Highly unlikely officially anyway. Last year their official figure was 72,600 but then kept selling beyond JULY 31 but these were unofficial. Their fans talk of 75,000+ but I understand those were related to 2018 memberships counting as 2017 too. 72,600 was their official figure recognised by the AFL.

They had 69,900 or thereabouts this time last year and therefore sold another 2,700. This would mean they should get to around 98,000. A great result but maybe the official 100,000 next year.

Highly unlikely officially anyway. Last year their official figure was 72,600 but then kept selling beyond JULY 31 but these were unofficial. Their fans talk of 75,000+ but I understand those were related to 2018 memberships counting as 2017 too. 72,600 was their official figure recognised by the AFL.

They had 69,900 or thereabouts this time last year and therefore sold another 2,700. This would mean they should get to around 98,000. A great result but maybe the official 100,000 next year.
all clubs should sell a rolling membership: ie. buy a year at any poiint.

Why do Adelaide put up their fake numbers every year?
They like to pretend
They also feed their members and media that they make heaps of profit every year, where as the reality is 5 out of the past 6 years they have made losses
Its a special organization, with customers not members

We sold another 6k from this point last year. We only need 4.5k so should get there
Most of those were unofficial and related to 2018 sales counted in 2017 as ‘free’ I believe. Richmond has 72,600 members in 2018 (not 75,000). They only sold another 2,500 from here onwards last year that were counted.. otherwise the Crows have 85,000. You can’t have it both ways mate!!

Separately, the league will almost certainly get to 1M members. Amazing.

Most of those were unofficial and related to 2018 sales counted in 2017 as ‘free’ I believe. Richmond has 72,600 members in 2018 (not 75,000). They only sold another 2,500 from here onwards last year that were counted.. otherwise the Crows have 85,000. You can’t have it both ways mate!!

Separately, the league will almost certainly get to 1M members. Amazing.

We would have sold another 2k due to finals anyway. Whether we get 100k before afl stop counting or not, we’ll still have 100k members if we reach the target

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We would have sold another 2k due to finals anyway. Whether we get 100k before afl stop counting or not, we’ll still have 100k members if we reach the target

Why dont these members, cough cough, why dont they go to the footy: are the Tiges the club with the lowest attendance by members
at games? WHY IS IT SO !!!!
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck !!

Why dont these members, cough cough, why dont they go to the footy: are the Tiges the club with the lowest attendance by members
at games? WHY IS IT SO !!!!
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck !!

well i for one (+ my three dependents) dont live in Australia so how do you expect me to go to games idiot. do you expect every single member to be in a position to go to every home game and/or away games to boot? you need to think through yoir trolling better, its jist not effective against our relentless pressure.

well i for one (+ my three dependents) dont live in Australia so how do you expect me to go to games idiot. do you expect every single member to be in a position to go to every home game and/or away games to boot? you need to think through yoir trolling better, its jist not effective against our relentless pressure.

We can do without the insults. Hes not wrong to ask where the tigers 95,000 members are at. Tigers fans have been doing it to everyone else here for some time.

We can do without the insults. Hes not wrong to ask where the tigers 95,000 members are at. Tigers fans have been doing it to everyone else here for some time.
just returning fire with fire wookie: thepost i replied to contained its own insult; as for the actual question both you and he ask- the answer is straightforward: inwould suspect hardly anyone buys full memberships expecting or even able to go to every single game: the idea that yku wkuld expect 95,000 of us banging down the door to every game is ... well, ok, i’ll retract the word idiot(ic).. but come on- its not a very robust attack.

just returning fire with fire wookie: thepost i replied to contained its own insult; as for the actual question both you and he ask- the answer is straightforward: inwould suspect hardly anyone buys full memberships expecting or even able to go to every single game: the idea that yku wkuld expect 95,000 of us banging down the door to every game is ... well, ok, i’ll retract the word idiot(ic).. but come on- its not a very robust attack.

Given you may not have been to the G this century, it has a max capacity for Tiger members of .... how many??? Lets see, round numbers the capacity is 100k, MCC members say 25k, AFL members say 10k, conservatively that leaves 65k, so you are gilding the lily at 95k to see the gates shut, though you can always continue to believe whatever you need.
That your own family cant attend games is immaterial, but dont take that personally.

Given you may not have been to the G this century, it has a max capacity for Tiger members of .... how many??? Lets see, round numbers the capacity is 100k, MCC members say 25k, AFL members say 10k, conservatively that leaves 65k, so you are gilding the lily at 95k to see the gates shut, though you can always continue to believe whatever you need.
That your own family cant attend games is immaterial, but dont take that personally.

Actually you're wrong on the AFL members - try doubling it. Also the public area that remains isn't all controlled by the home club, the MCC retains a portion of it for reserved seat sales via Ticketek.

Also you're both arguing two different fights.

We have this stupid indirect pissing competition about memberships, with it supposedly supposed to be a sign of who have more supporters, or more committed supporters

Problem is it's a comparison that doesn't work because of the very different market dynamics in each state.

WA has a under supplied market, with no AFL/MCC equivalent competition. A virtual monopoly means the wa club's can enforce reserved seating, h11 requirements, and massive price premiums. Market forces pure and simple.

MCG club's face a different issue. They are competing against the AFL and MCC for premium membership packages, and a larger ga allocation. As such they are competing with the MCC both at the premium and lower end of the scale. And population means while Melbourne has more punters than perth, they are spread over 5 times as many clubs (if you Inc Geelong).

The reality is the ga allocation means there isn't the market pressure to force people into reserved seating or h11 if they don't expect to go to all games. And membership numbers mean it's not a finals guarantee either now, esp if playing against another Melbourne club.

I am a big fan of three gamers because they get people out of being a cash attendee and onto the club books. Until we have enough demand in Melbourne for 100% allocated seating however, this will still be needed as the ga culture is still strong here

I wouldn’t go down that path Madtiger.. the Eagles are averaging over 53,000 at Perth Stadium this year and 95% of the fans are theirs. Over 50,000 of their fans went last night Vs St Kilda!!

Richmond rely on masses of opposition fans to inflate their own figure. Attendance figures don’t tell the true story. It may surprise you however the Tigers only draw between 30,000-50,000 of their own fans to games. This is not the biggest in the AFL.

Banter is good but like your assertion about Richmond’s membership figures, keep to facts. Or apply the same logic with consistency moreover.

Home games we get 40-50k of ours. Finals we get 70-90k of ours. WC get perfect 25 degree days. Good advantage over our 15 degree crap

Afl members hold 22,000. MCC holds 22,000. So what is left is 66,000 general admission.

Afl members hold 22,000. MCC holds 22,000. So what is left is 66,000 general admission.

You're forgetting corporate and ticketed seating (that is sold to the public)

The amount of Ga varies from club to club depending upon the allocations it's given from the MCC, what amount of that becomes members only access, and what the MCC wants to retain for its own sales

Edit: and that's before remembering non pies club's dont get access to pies reserved seats because the MCC has sold them to the pies for their away games

I wouldn’t go down that path Madtiger.. the Eagles are averaging over 53,000 at Perth Stadium this year and 95% of the fans are theirs. Over 50,000 of their fans went last night Vs St Kilda!!

Richmond rely on masses of opposition fans to inflate their own figure. Attendance figures don’t tell the true story. It may surprise you however the Tigers only draw between 30,000-50,000 of their own fans to games. This is not the biggest in the AFL.

Banter is good but like your assertion about Richmond’s membership figures, keep to facts. Or apply the same logic with consistency moreover.
I dont have a dog in this fight. I was at the PF last year though. The G was awfully packed and we would have had 1k supporters at a generous estimate. I dont think that entirely holds up.

Some posters in here don't understand that membership is not primarily about attendance. It's about putting your money where your mouth is to say you support your club. Some members don't even live in the same state or country as their club but they are still true supporters as they contribute financially to the club. While Richmond doesn't get 95K of our members to every game we are still well on top in attendances and membership and these are the only metrics that are relevant when measuring the support of a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back